The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Osterlind volume #2 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4788 Posts

Profile of landmark
Volume 2, of course, is devoted to Osterlind's Breakthrough Card System. I have been very impressed with volumes one and three, but I put off getting volume 2 because:

1) I already have committed to memory the excellent Aronson stack, and

2) I'm not totally sure that cards should play a major role in mentalism.

Boy, was I ever wrong! After seeing this volume, I believe that anyone interested in mentalism, EVEN IF THEY NEVER TOUCH A DECK OF CARDS AGAIN, should get this DVD.

You see, what this DVD does, way over and above teaching Osterlind's clever stack, is show you how to turn tricks into miracles.

Osterlind teaches you the psychology and performance aspect of mentalism that makes the difference between magic and mentalism. Take, for one example, Richard's Card Calling routine. It's a pretty standard effect that can be done with any memorized or stacked deck: spec takes a bunch of cards from the deck, and performer reveals the cards chosen. But what Osterlind does is show you the psychological subtleties worthy of Banachek that makes the audience and the spectator sure that you're reading their minds in real time. This is priceless stuff that you'll apply to many other situations besides cards. And this is only one example; throughout the DVD Richard tips his clever linguistic and psychological tricks that leave the audience with no way out.

I believe that this DVD is the rare DVD that does what a book cannot do--it shows you the timing and rhythm of misdirection and psychological confusion of the audience. If, like me, you have avoided this volume because you either know a stack, or are not that interested in cards, I urge you to take another look. In some ways this may be the most important volume of the set.

Jack Shalom
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
Well said jack. couldn't have said it better myself. these routines armed with the BCS or the aronson stack are killer.
Jem
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
342 Posts

Profile of Jem
Thanks for the helpful review Jack. I think this will be the next DVD on my list!
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Quote:
On 2004-01-31 15:19, landmark wrote:
I believe that this DVD is the rare DVD that does what a book cannot do--it show you the timing and rhythm of misdirection and psychological confusion of the audience. If, like me, you have avoided this volume because you either know a stack, or are not that interested in cards, I urge you to take another look. In some ways this may be the most important volume of the set.

Seconed!
Even though not a pro ( a semi pro for a periode of some years though) I have been into magic and mentalism 85% of my whole life Smile

1) I have hardly used playing cards, with the same point as Jack's in mind:
"I'm not totally sure that cards should play a major role in mentalism"
.........until I found the BCS - first the book, then the DVD.
I carry a stack of cards with me all the time now, and I guess I can count the number of days I didn't use the BCS on one hand since I learned it.
The card calling routine has got it's permanent place in my performances. It kills!! So do the other routines. I guess Cards in Pockets is my fave.
....and The test condition routine, ....and... Smile Well, guess you got my point!

2)Throughout all my years in magic and mentalism, I have been plowing through heaps of books, courses, videos and trick explanations, and have been practising, practising, practising.

I want to emphasize on that I never, repeat never ever, have got any explanations or advices any near to what I did from Richard in his DVDs.

What I still can't understand, is that Richard gave away as much as he did.
He could have slimmed down the released material considerably , - it still would have been just great!
In stead, he gave us the whole works, for which we should be very, very grateful.

Compared to much other released material on the market, Richard's DVDs, books and routines are extremely underpriced.

Sven

....and he is an unbelieveably nice person, who always has given me great help and replies when I have PMed him with questions.
Thanks, Richard!
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3261 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Im totaly devoted to the OBCS. It fits me perfectly, whereas Aronson's system gives me headache.
Saying that dosent mean that his system is bad, its a hell of a system, and you have good routines comming with it.
But each one to its own.
And OBCS is right up my ally.
Its simple, once you have understand the mechanichs, and when the system has become second to non.
To me volume 2, is the top volume of the series, followed by number 1.

Peo
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
I agree Peo that vol 2 is the best just for card system.
erictan8888
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
517 Posts

Profile of erictan8888
Hi,

just like to ask: I already have the BCS (i bought the BCS before the DVDs came out).... is it worth it still to purchase volume 2 of the dvd set?

pls advise
thanks
eric Smile
"Fill you life with magic by making magic a part of your life." by eric tan.
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3261 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Erictan8888,

It is always nice to see a creator of good menatlism (or magic), perform his own material.
Here on the dvd you will also see Richard perform five knock-out routines not mentioned in the manuscript.
More than that, he discuss with Jim Sisti in lenght about the system, the set up, how it works, and give hints to it, plus explains in great detail the effects previously shown.
My advice is to purchace volume 2.
I also purchased the manuscript after I had the dvd's.
I always carry the BCS deck with me.

Peo

PS Be sure to check out Richard's website at:
http://www.osterlindmysteries.com
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
DaveS
View Profile
Veteran user
New York
329 Posts

Profile of DaveS
I couldn't agree with you more, Jack. I saved Volume 2 until the end thinking it would be more limited in application and not as interesting as the other three... was I wrong! I still have work to do to master the set up and routines, not having worked with a stack before, and looking forward to performing a couple in the near future. Based on the excellent material on all four videos, his high quality explanations and willingness to respond to questions and share his considerable knowledge and experience with Café members, Richard is definitely a CLASS ACT!
:applause: Smile Smile
DaveS
We shall not cease from exploration/And the end of all our exploring/Will be to arrive where we started/And know the place for the first time. (TS Elliot)
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Quote:
On 2004-02-02 08:05, erictan8888 wrote:
Hi,

just like to ask: I already have the BCS (i bought the BCS before the DVDs came out).... is it worth it still to purchase volume 2 of the dvd set?

pls advise
thanks
eric Smile

Absolutely!!!!!
Just so that is mentioned; You will find exactly the same routines (+ the Black Jack routine) on the DVD as in the book.
Please understand that the book can stand alone.
However, watching Richard Osterlind's way of performing the routines + his advises, bits & bites, philosophy and audience management is IMHO very important to get even more out of the BCS.

I first bought the book, and got the series a few weeks after that.
I would recommend to use the book and the DVD side-by-side

Sven
Jem
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
342 Posts

Profile of Jem
I just got the DVD (volume 2) a few days ago, and its really good! All the good things that has already been said in this thread about the DVD are absolutely spot on.

Richard Osterlind is able to take a simple concept of a BCS and turn it into mindreading miracles, through clever use of gestures and subtleties. He is excellent at what he does. The advice in this DVD on the various aspects of performing and the psychology behind the performance is priceless. I have learnt a lot from this DVD, and not just five card routines.

I can't wait to check out the other DVDs in this series.
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2214 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Thank you to everyone for such wonderful comments about my work! I can't tell you how much that means to me.

What I tried to do on the Mind Mystery Series (and what I intend to do on future videos and in books) is to offer material that I actually use and know works for me. I also made the decision that if I did put something out, I would not hold back on any of the workings. Many people have said to me that by giving away everything you are giving others your act and material. I disagree. By explaining fully my reasons for doing what I do (and a lot of that is based on my own personality) I am hoping to encourage the viewer and reader to understand WHY it works for me and why it is necessary to add their own personality and mannerisms to the working. Changing a bit here and there to fit yourself, you wind up with something that is totally unique for YOU. Instead of a bunch of Richard Osterlinds running around (what an awful thought!!!) instead there will be a bunch of unique entertainers who each have their own individual approaches. This is what will elevate the art of magic and give you personal satisfaction.

Richard
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
We need more Richards in the world of magic and mentalism. Someone willing to share and help the growth of the art. Unfortunately there will always be some guilty of not using this generosity wisely. But let us hope that the majority do. I know I will.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Osterlind volume #2 (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL