The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » VSM help (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7431 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Ok, I know I am using a dinosaur but I don't do a lot of shows and it always worked fine before this. I have a 6 and 7.5. Both seem to operate fine as far as controlling the tracks and volumes.

Now here is the problem. When I press any button, I am getting a tone click. If I pause the unit, it continues to beep until I start it playing again. I have tried a new PA with a wireless Mic. I thought that might be a problem with the PA and the wireless. So I went back to the origianl system I used. I still get the tone sounds on everything.

Is anyone else that is still using this system having the same problem or is this something unique to my system? If so, is there a solution.

I don't want to go back to cassette tape but I might just to get through this show without spending a bunch of money on a new system.

Thanks guys. Appreciate any input. You can write me back here or email me at hug magic@raex.com.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
David Garrity
View Profile
Special user
520 Posts

Profile of David Garrity
Richard,

You haven't mentioned what type of device you are using to playback the music on. However, I suspect you are using a Sony CD Player or Mini Disc Player.

The beep is the pause beep that was included in those Sony CD Player and MiniDisc units. The manual for the CD Player or MiniDisc should have instructions as to how to disable to pause beep.

Sincerely,
David
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
Richard... are you setting the Mic receiver close to the receiver to the vsm,,, I would get same issue when I started with Kerrys showtech... I would have the showtech receiver to close to the Mic receiver . and every time I pushed the remote to cue forward,,, my oh my what a buzz sound, and then a bunch of beeps while forwarding...
I separated the two receiver units and walla. see if this helps... also be sure to use shielded cables as well when necessary. hope this helps.. let me know please
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

To see if this is the issue. try doing the remote control with out your mic even hooked or patched in... if mic is not even hooked up and still getting noise then I just don't know,,, but if mic is off and patched in. but off, then no noise, then this means your mis receiver was picking up the signals put out by the VSM...
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7431 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Thanks guys. I will check out the manual on the md unit.

Chris,
No mics pllugged in so that is not the problem. I tried different sound systems without the wireless mic. It is totally new problem.

Hey if push comes to shove, I will dig out the old cassette recorder and press a button. Would prefer the minidisc but the pause shutdown would not work as I am working the show.

I really appreciate the suggestions.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1177 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
I think tropicalillusions is right. I had that same problem once. Turns out I had accidently turned on this feature on my MiniDisc player..

Richard if you ever want I have a VSM 7 with two click feel remotes and two Sone MiniDisc players. I'll give you a great price!
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

This is nuts,, I want to know this fix you find Richard. you got me curious
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

This is nuts,, I want to know this fix you find Richard. you got me curious
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7431 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Yes, it fixed it. I never had the darn beeps turned on before. I was in a panic. I thought maybe the new sound system was screwing something up so I tried other options. Same problem. So know I know wheat to look for. Thanks so much guys.

Thanks Mike. I have two VSM units (6.0 and 7.5) with three mini disks player. Owing to my high volume of shows these days (not), I am not going to be upgrading anytime soon. If so, I will probably have to go into the 21st century and get an IPAD or IPOD and Cue Command or something like it. I still like being apply to just switch the discs and having the show I want on the disc. I don't need an iPod carrying 500 songs around with me all the time. I even use my mini disc on the planes sometimes. Besides my new PA has built in iPod dock in the top if I ever want to use it.

Thanks again.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
David Garrity
View Profile
Special user
520 Posts

Profile of David Garrity
Richard,

So it was the pause beep "feature" on the music playback unit?

Sincerely,
David
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7431 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Yup. thanks again.
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
David Garrity
View Profile
Special user
520 Posts

Profile of David Garrity
No problem! Glad I could help!
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Yaaaaaaaay... good for ya Rich... Good call David,,, these darned electronics...... I can always hear my grandparents saying " I hate when they change things" I thought oh come on Grandpa,,,, now listen to us... Why does technology have to change.....LOL... and Richard... you want to still use cassette tapes... I laughed on the inside a little bit... I even found some old cassetes of some great lectures and conferences I had attended and taped... I just could not find it in me to toss them... heck, I cant evenfind a cassette player!!!!! I seen best buy was selling record players last week for that stuff they call vinyl Albums. again though.... glad you got things going your way....
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Yaaaaaaaay... good for ya Rich... Good call David,,, these darned electronics...... I can always hear my grandparents saying " I hate when they change things" I thought oh come on Grandpa,,,, now listen to us... Why does technology have to change.....LOL... and Richard... you want to still use cassette tapes... I laughed on the inside a little bit... I even found some old cassetes of some great lectures and conferences I had attended and taped... I just could not find it in me to toss them... heck, I cant evenfind a cassette player!!!!! I seen best buy was selling record players last week for that stuff they call vinyl Albums. again though.... glad you got things going your way....
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7431 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I have four turntables still. In the shop, I have an old Caliphate turntable with a built in PA ( used one like it when I was In college for Rec classes calling square dances) and a stack of vinyl right beside it that I picked up at Goodwill for almost nothing. I also have a turntable that plugs into my usb on my computer so I can convert the vinyl over.

If you ever want to mess with someone, let them try to find your show music that was taken off a vinyl record. I have some great old RBBB records.

You really should convert those lectures to a cd before they all go bad. I spend a month converting old Norcelo dictaphone tapes of a friend that had some priceless stuff on them. Things like Don Alan talking about the lump of coal production and Stuart Cramer talking about Karl Germain. Great stuff that needs to be preserved.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Great something else I have to figure out.... Soooo,,, how do you go from a tape player to computer,,, what is the hook up,,, just good ole 1/4 inch plug to usb or something like that... or to sound in on computer..... Give me a tip here..
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7431 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
No, you are also going to need software to make it digitize properly. I use Sound Studio. I think there are some very versions but it is only about $30. Easy to work and also allows you to edit the music easily. I should say I am working on a MAC but I think they have a PC version.

You can also take records and input them into the computer the same way. If you do not have an audio input, you will need to buy a USB microphone plug in.

Hope that helps.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Richard... this helps tons... Thanks for the help.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » VSM help (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL