The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Friend of a Friend » » Jingle Bells, Batman Smells (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
mndude
View Profile
Special user
880 Posts

Profile of mndude
"Jingle bells, Batman smells, Robin laid an egg, Batmobile lost the wheel and the Joker got away. "

I realize this does not fit the definition of an urban legend. But since it is a meme that his survived the ages, I would like to explore how such a nonsensical son was able to spread around the world so quickly, and before the Internet no less.

Most of the evidence shows that this song originated around 1967, but where in by whom?

Who were the very first school children who first sang this famous parody?

What citystatecountry and what year did you first hear this song? Let's see if we can get any closer to its origin.
Pepsi Twist
View Profile
New user
Bexhill UK
73 Posts

Profile of Pepsi Twist
Wow I never thought of it like that, we used to sing it at school in England as well. Was it on TV or something that made it so popular??
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
And then of course you have "Happy birthday to you, you live in a zoo, you look like a monkey and you smell like one too." I think any popular verse always has a spoof alternative.
innermind
View Profile
Regular user
suburban Detroit
154 Posts

Profile of innermind
The Batman TV series starring Adam West originally ran from 1966 to 1968. Then there were the countless repeat broadcasts throughout the late 60's and early 70's. I would guess the TV series was the primary influence for that jingle. I was born in 1962, and I remember the song from my youth in the late 60's.

David
"Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else." -Will Rogers
mndude
View Profile
Special user
880 Posts

Profile of mndude
Adam, can I ask what city you were in when you first heard this song?
Wenzelo
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Wenzelo
I think it was in a newspaper cartoon ages ago
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
I first heard it when I was in elementary school sometime in the early 1970s.
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1183 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Quote:
On Mar 14, 2015, Leo H wrote:
I first heard it when I was in elementary school sometime in the early 1970s.

I grew up in Columbia Maryland and recall this as a kid in the early 70's as well.
Bob
DaleTrueman
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
317 Posts

Profile of DaleTrueman
Used to sing it in New Zealand in the mid seventies.
I've noticed this song and a few other kiddies ditties are in Australia too.
Though we did have one that could of only been local as it has local place names in it.
Lance Inkwell
View Profile
New user
Casper, WY
6 Posts

Profile of Lance Inkwell
Don't know when or who started it, but I'm sure when Bart Simpson sang the Batman version in the first episode of The Simpsons, he played a big part in keeping the parody jingle alive and well.
"________________________________" -Teller
CRash5150
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of CRash5150
I grew up in the 70s. We lived in Chicago, until I was 10, then we moved to Tennessee. This was well before the internet. It was odd, to me, that kids were playing the same games like "mother may I" and "Red Rover". I often wondered how kids so far away knew the same games.
MJE
View Profile
Elite user
After all these years,I STILL have only
409 Posts

Profile of MJE
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2014, mndude wrote:
Most of the evidence shows that this song originated around 1967, but where in by whom?

In '67 I think I was in 7th grade. I'm pretty sure we were singing it in elementary school. I could be thinking the Popeye song, though. You know THAT one, right?

I'm Popeye the sailor man.
I live in a garbage can.
I eat all the worms
then spit out the germs.
I'm Popeye the sailor man.
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1279 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
I heard the Batman song in the late sixties. I grew up in South River, NJ.
The first time I heard it was when my cousin Steve sang it.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
Xaa
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Xaa
There is a web site and ebook documenting all the old playground songs and rhymes. Comments are allowed so that readers can share their own experiences. The jingle in question is posted there.

http://www.playgroundjungle.com/p/index-......nes.html
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science." - Albert Einstein, What I Believe (1930)
Quatermass
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of Quatermass
One source claims it can be traced back to the mid 1950s: http://sugargamers.com/origin-jingle-bel......hschild/
bbeishline
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of bbeishline
When I was 6 in '71, I lived for that Adam West Batman show. I did't even realize it was campy, and was somewhat confused at the fact that I was attracted to Julie Newmar's Catwoman when she was one of the Bad Guys. Seems like we knew the Jingle back then, or shortly thereafter. I also remember Bart singing it on the first Simpsons episode, though he makes a slight breach of etiquette by singing "...broke its wheel..." instead of "...lost its wheel..."

A very interesting question though, and I also wonder how it spread and became so ubiquitous. I also recall slightly risque (for a small child, anyway) versions of Yankee Doodle, and I'm sure there are many others I'd recognize if someone brought them up. I wonder if they were all universal, or if some were local.

Ben
friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
Spent all this time on the Cafe' and all I have to show for it is
445 Posts

Profile of friend2cptsolo
Http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-secret-t......-smells/

an interesting write up on the possible origin
friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
Spent all this time on the Cafe' and all I have to show for it is
445 Posts

Profile of friend2cptsolo
The Diarrhea Song origin???

Some people think it's funny; but it's really dark and runny....
A. Evans
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
105 Posts

Profile of A. Evans
I am not sure where it originate but my Dad told it to me when I was like 3 (He was born in the 60's) and I am pretty sure his Dad taught it to him.
"It's better to have 3 amazing tricks than 10 good ones"
Mark Williams
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, Nevada
513 Posts

Profile of Mark Williams
I remember hearing this little ditty around 1967, when I was nine years old. I also remember hearing a version of The Battle Hymn of The Republic, which I can still recite. Funny how these types of things stick with you, well into adulthood.

Best Magical Regards,

Mark Williams
"Once is Magic!! Twice is an Education!!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Friend of a Friend » » Jingle Bells, Batman Smells (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL