The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The WORST trick of 2014 *** (33 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Mark8infiniti
View Profile
Special user
598 Posts

Profile of Mark8infiniti
It's that wonderful time of the year folks. Let me have the pleasure of kicking this off. Pick your 3 WORST buys of the year... feel free to be as blunt as possible, and give reasons for your pickings. This is our forum and our right to talk openly about the disappointments the magic community has given us.... We'll collate the votes before New Year.

My worst TRICKS OF 2014:

1)HIDDEN HAND
-my god, this doesn't deserve the accolade for worst trick of all time, but worst trick EVER. I hated this cheap thing. Total trash, magic for Youtube only... did nothing... and, the fact it came without a knot in it was UNFORGIVEABLE. Total junk, and the hype was worse than that of HUG... Shame on those fools who were taken in by the hype of this ridiculous piece of string.

2) Surya's Device
-My god, what a complete rip off this was. A total abomination... it promised to solve any existing thread problems but produced SO MANY MANY MANY MORE. Just don't.... the price.... what was I thinking? SO EXPENSIVE.... man......

3) WATERWORKS
I am ashamed I was taken in by the hype of this thing. I honestly don't believe there is ANYONE using this thing in the real world... The cheap anti gravity version is still a winner - this addition was.... just awful in my opinion. The idea was nice, but it tried to be 'too clever' - and, too much water pours out. ALWAYS WATER. TOO MUCH MATER. Too much suspicion on the top, too obvious, handling was always dodgey. NAH. Waterworks... this product made me cry.

Oh... if I could name 4, my last one would be THE ANSWER. The worst TORN AND RESTORED effect EVER. Just a total mess. Can't count it, but wanted to name and shame World Magic shop here for putting out such an atrocity.

What are your worst buys?
JackMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
This year has been one of the worst years for exposure

What were great tricks have now been exposed on YouTube

First there was invisible Deck exposed by Brian Brushwood

Then a few months later, Peter Nardil has sold out to Brushwood as well,

The informer Wallet is a good as useless as it's been exposed for all it see on YouTube
Mark8infiniti
View Profile
Special user
598 Posts

Profile of Mark8infiniti
Exposure aside... we still want to hear the best and worst products so we can collate.
Mike ODonnell
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago
211 Posts

Profile of Mike ODonnell
I use water works every friday night at my weekly gig (at a brewery). Gets great reactions...perhaps, you had one of the defective gimmick(s)?
DigaMag
View Profile
Veteran user
Indonesia
302 Posts

Profile of DigaMag
Quote:
On Dec 14, 2014, magicmarkworldwide2 wrote:
3) WATERWORKS
I am ashamed I was taken in by the hype of this thing. I honestly don't believe there is ANYONE using this thing in the real world... The cheap anti gravity version is still a winner - this addition was.... just awful in my opinion. The idea was nice, but it tried to be 'too clever' - and, too much water pours out. ALWAYS WATER. TOO MUCH MATER. Too much suspicion on the top, too obvious, handling was always dodgey. NAH. Waterworks... this product made me cry.

I used it every single time in my gig since I had it.... and it works really well for me and I get great reaction with it... so if you don't belive there is Anyone using this thing in the real world... you're wrong my friend...

Best regards

Diga
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
Got to a gig too early so wrote his
1429 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
That's the problem with a thread like this... One mans meat, is another's poison.

What's more important is knowing which tricks work for YOU and your act, rather than for the collective of magicians as a whole, all with a range of abilities, tastes and needs. If you only pick tricks based on their common popularity, you risk building a generic/average act, doing the same tricks as everyone else.

It works both ways. It's unwise to just pick tricks because lots of other magicians think they are great. Could you discover something special by going down the path less travelled....?

You could basically list ANY trick here and there will be those that love it and others that hate it. Often depends on the demographic and who's prepared to shout the loudest..
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2228 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Dec 14, 2014, Dominic Reyes wrote:
Often depends on the demographic and who's prepared to shout the loudest..

I thought that's what this section of the Café was all about? Smile
Mark8infiniti
View Profile
Special user
598 Posts

Profile of Mark8infiniti
OH MY GOD. WHY ARE PEOPLE POSTING HERE??? The whole idea of the THREAD is to GIVE YOUR WORST BUYS OF THE YEAR!!!! Can I spell it out any clearer?? YOUR WORST BUYS, IN YOUR OPINION, YOUR OPINION!!!!

Of course Dominic and others, it is all relative, and depends on the individuals... that's the ENTIRE POINT OF VOTING, to see what people as a collective think!! DURHH.

Why are you all coming on here just responding to MY PICKS??? They are MY PICKS, NOT YOURS!! IF it works for you then fine, but these comments are completely IRRELEVANT AND INVALID HERE!!

STOP SITTING ON THE FENCE for god's sake, and just stick to the instructions and submit your 3 worst purchases!! Is it that hard?????????

If the magic Café was subscription based and involved spending a cent, based on some of the fence sitters here, this would be NUMBER 1!
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1929 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
www.davidjonathanmagic.com
Mark8infiniti
View Profile
Special user
598 Posts

Profile of Mark8infiniti
Oh jeez... who posts in any other section of the Café??? There should be a link to it from here. Thanks TuneHV, hopefully people can vote there.
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3642 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Don't know about worst trick, but this has to be the worst thread.
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5920 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
There is nothing like a worst trick, it is the performer who don't know how to perform. Smile Don't believe me Smile Ask any creator and he will tell you that your performance ability is pathetic. Smile Smile

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Mark8infiniti
View Profile
Special user
598 Posts

Profile of Mark8infiniti
Never had you down as a fence sitter Jamie.

What about your 3 most disappointing scoops?
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10367 Posts

Profile of pegasus
All of Jamie's scoops are disappointing. Smile
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3642 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Quote:
On Dec 14, 2014, magicmarkworldwide2 wrote:
Never had you down as a fence sitter Jamie.

What about your 3 most disappointing scoops?

I'm not voting as I don't like to spread negativity as a general rule.
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10367 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Yeh, whatever, that's one thing you are good at.
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1354 Posts

Profile of Stucky
Quote:
On Dec 14, 2014, Ustaad wrote:
There is nothing like a worst trick, it is the performer who don't know how to perform. Smile Don't believe me Smile Ask any creator and he will tell you that your performance ability is pathetic. Smile Smile

Smile

I tend to find a lot of "creators" are the worst at doing their own material.
Official Thread Killer
MorrisCH
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of MorrisCH
Quote:
On Dec 14, 2014, Ustaad wrote:

Smile

ohh, Trust me, there are planty of bad tricks

"there are no bad magicians, only bad tricks"
I agree with this statement 100%

one can say performer who don't know how to perform
but in order to have a great show, you do need good tricks to support you from the very beginning
once you have a great tricks to start with, then we can talk about good / bad magician
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2496 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Another vote for Hidden Hand; followed closely by Manoj Bottle.
Barry Allen

14 years have passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1354 Posts

Profile of Stucky
Quote:

"there are no bad magicians, only bad tricks"
I agree with this statement 100%

one can say performer who don't know how to perform
but in order to have a great show, you do need good tricks to support you from the very beginning
once you have a great tricks to start with, then we can talk about good / bad magician

There are some really bad magicians who butcher good tricks. Good trick vs bad trick is clearly subjective as this thread has already proved. Don't expect the magic to support you. Yoiu have to be a proper performer before ANY trick can come off as gold.
Official Thread Killer
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The WORST trick of 2014 *** (33 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL