The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » DVDs? Really? In 2014? (25 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
dman11
View Profile
Special user
PA
575 Posts

Profile of dman11
There is 12 separate downloadstream lessons for Aaron fishers Pathways to Mastery:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/search.php?q=Pathways+to+mastery

You can also try Steve Faulkners online Card magic course:

http://cardmagiccourse.com/

Or for a more well rounded online magic course here:

http://www.encyclopediaofmagic.com.au/

As a side note - I would prefer to have these on DVD than streams or downloads ! For instance "Pathways 1, The shuffle system" if there is a particular shuffle I wanted to work on I can pop a dvd in and go right to it from the menu's. Instead I have to blindly pop around on a stream - wait for it to buffer, and keep hoping I hit the right spot which always takes more than just a few guesses - BLAHHH. However, I should mention that Steve Faulkners online course is very easy to navigate to what you need.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I think what disturbs me is this:

Quote:
On Dec 14, 2014, KenRyan wrote:
My main computer is a MacBook Air. My secondary "computer" is an iPad. There are no DVD drives. Why? Because it is 20-freaking-14. I'm currently in the middle of watching a 4 hour video course on Lynda.com. It's not like bandwidth is a problem on the interwebs anymore.

Interweb? What the hell is that? My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1200. It does not "stream" very well. YouTube works on this thing ONLY if I download (if I CAN) the vid and play on my VLC Player. I had an iPad for exactly a month. It broke and will cost hundreds to repair. A total POS!

I'm now 59, and it's almost 20-freaking-15! You young-uns and your technology! Can't keep up with it! (Toddering off with my cane to my rocker)

Doug
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8573 Posts

Profile of funsway
I new wrinkle on the techie-smart youth and the "need" for access.

In one of my rental house the provided TV service is Dish and the Internet ATT. The modem is plugged into a phone outlet in the back room.

The tenant is am electrician and part-time Web Designer. He decided to rearrange the furniture in the house. I got an emergency call that the Internet was not working.

He had moved the modem to the front room and plugged it into the satellite system! Since the plugs didn't match - duhhhh,
he had connected output to output with a HDMI so it would not have worked even if there were internet on the Dish system.

So, I suggest that some of the problems of the "I want" folks has nothing to do with technology. If you give knives to children they cut themselves.

ON the other hand, another tenant is planning on doing some of their work from home and asked if the increased usage time would be a problem, so, I cannot say that all younger people think that "bandwidth is not a problem."

It is a problem that I must now address in future contracts, probably meaning I can no longer provide Internet as an "included" service.

If the tents have to provide it for themselves it will cost, on average, $60 a month more that what I can prod on shared basis.

Stream away guys, pretend the Bandwidth is unlimited -- until you get the bill.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
MagicKingdom10
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of MagicKingdom10
Quote:
On Dec 14, 2014, KenRyan wrote:
This is part rant (apologies up front), but mostly I'm asking a genuine question. I am trying to soak up the study of magic like a sponge. And I've discovered that I am a VERY visual learner. Videos are invaluable to me. I just wasn't understanding several of the moves in Giobbi's "Introduction to Card Magic" until I followed the YouTube links in the pdf. So very helpful! I'm almost afraid to move on to CC1 (which is sitting right here), because it's a book. There are no YouTube links in books:-P.

But the alternative is always "get the DVDs." Gah! I run a web business whose main products are video tutorials. People buy the courses and are given immediate access to all the videos, which they can either stream from the site (a la YouTube), or (if they must), download to their computers.

My main computer is a MacBook Air. My secondary "computer" is an iPad. There are no DVD drives. Why? Because it is 20-freaking-14. I'm currently in the middle of watching a 4 hour video course on Lynda.com. It's not like bandwidth is a problem on the interwebs anymore.

So now that my little rant is over - I have an actual question. Are there any good tutorials that are web video products? I'm not talking about free videos. I am, of course, willing to pay for these courses. But I'm probably never going to buy a DVD for training unless I absolutely have to. I won't be able to watch it unless I want to co-opt my family's TV so I can study magic.

Am I just going to have to suck it up and find a way to watch DVDs? I suspect I know the answer. But you never know until you ask.

Thanks!

Ken

Thank you! Very philosophical Smile
I Love You God Smile
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5241 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I'm glad I happened upon this thread, it's been a fascinating read, and the posters know far more than I do about learning, so I won't contribute with my naive/ignorant comments.

I do however, often worry about our emerging and growing reliance - as a culture - on digital media. Not in a paranoid, conspiracy-theorist way...just realistically concerned about a reliance on any one information method. Let's just say that in the next ten years - or sooner - all information, past, present, and future, was available only via electronic mediums. And then let's say there was a catastrophe. And the grid goes down...for a week, a month, a year...

Suddenly, people begin to talk to each other, and teach each other face-to-face, and they use other things too...books and drawings. Sure, I realize nothing is indestructible, and in a real catastrophic event, people would be just trying to survive (although they may look for a first-aid book), I just like options. Give me words on paper, and words as ones and zeros. And let me make the choice.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8573 Posts

Profile of funsway
Look at the bright side, Oz. I a couple of years, instead of doing magic effects you can entertain people by adding a column of figures on sheet of paper or demonstrating a slide-rule.

Imagine being able to find a requested word in a dictionary quickly by using the magic of the index words at the top of the page.

Even now, the popular book "A Christmas Tale" contains an explanation of a complex divination system bette than card-flipping fortune telling.

But mist people have only seen ten different version on a TV screen and have never read the book.

Everyone knows the story but not the secrets.

A the world de-evolves into chaos, the enterprising magician will have boundless oportunities.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Deal with the reality that there will never be computer usage for the whole world. Media has nothing to do with it. Reality is that even after all this time there are plenty of people who STILL don't have telephone service or even service available! Geographic TV broadcast service is less now than it was 50 years ago! Frankly, local news is less available now than it was then!

As an old Graduate Marketing Professor, I have advised clients to cut their advertising budgets for local TV because they actually reach fewer viewers now than they did before digital TV. In many cases even the US Mail does a better job of diffusion of information.

In the world of business "learning" is measured by the diffusion of innovation. There is no monopoy on effective delivery method. We "target" to be more effective. (Note that some of the highest paid talent in the company is still sales staff, not IT.) One size does not fit all.

Ever thought about the fact that for the accomplished, on average, average is unacceptable?
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1855 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Wizard of Oz, take the time to find Ray Bradbury's story "Almost the End of the World." Very entertaining look at what life would be like if radio and TV vanished. He was writing pre-internet with this story, but the premise remains valid.

-Patrick
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
There is an old Polish saying that has become popular. "Not my circus, not my monkeys." Whatever.
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
892 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
One point about DVD versus download that hasn't been made yet. You can re-sell a DVD after you've done your learning and recoup some of your outlay. You can't do that with a download. Downloads provide instant gratification, and that's a plus, but financially they are better for the distributor than the customer.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
LOL -- True! A current lesson might be Windows 8 (which is all you can get on new pc computers). If a part of it ever gets deleted you have no way to recover it yourself. Since there is no CD you have to go back to MS (where you can spend more time waiting than the computer is worth). The games with it got accidentally deleted from mine. Therefore Windows 8 has made me an Apple MAC user! (And I had to buy an external CD for many of my other uses!)

There is also a VERY GOOD reason why some magic props are worth more used than they were new! It is a case of fitting the need. Lack of availability new is seldom the only solution.

PS --- Learn to write cursive too! Adults use it.
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
Quote:
On Dec 27, 2014, Bob Sanders wrote:
LOL -- True! A current lesson might be Windows 8 (which is all you can get on new pc computers). If a part of it ever gets deleted you have no way to recover it yourself. Since there is no CD you have to go back to MS (where you can spend more time waiting than the computer is worth). The games with it got accidentally deleted from mine. Therefore Windows 8 has made me an Apple MAC user! (And I had to buy an external CD for many of my other uses!)

There is also a VERY GOOD reason why some magic props are worth more used than they were new! It is a case of fitting the need. Lack of availability new is seldom the only solution.

PS --- Learn to write cursive too! Adults use it.

Yes, DVDs have their pluses. I have recently had all 3 of my computers crash, including both pc and mac sections of my mac. Sooo tired of reinstalling stuff. I was, of course, able to download tutorials from Penguin but it tooks some time.

Yes, why in the world are some schools not teaching cursive??? That is absurd.
RookieMage
View Profile
New user
Rookies only have
58 Posts

Profile of RookieMage
I can relate to the puzzle of how best to learn magic of various types, books, DVDs, streaming vids and downloads, and so many to choose from. One thought for you that comes to my mind, many DVDs can be had in the secondary market, like on eBay or Amazon, at bargain prices vs buying the product new from a new product retailer. It might make sense to pick up an external DVD drive for your Mac computer, just to take advantage of some of the great bargains that are out there on optical media. I see these drives on sale for as little as $35 US, brand new, and when you combine the one-time expense of an affordable drive with a great deal on a magic DVD, maybe it makes sense to go old-school DVD media now and then...?
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
981 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Times change. Some things for the better and some, perhaps, not.

I was recently told by a 30 year-old she had written her fiancé a letter in cursive - he could not read it. I suspect it is much more difficult to find elementary schools that teach cursive than to find ones that do not teach it.

Given the rate of change - real-to-real, 8 Track, Casset, BetaMax, VHS, DVD, download, streaming - who knows what format will be useful 30 years from now?

For me, books first, then DVDs. Most DVDs downloaded into Dropbox where they are available for my electronic devices and I don't worry about loss. The best videos/ones I'm working on, are downloaded to my iPad so I don't have to rely on access to Dropbox at all times or consume bandwidth when away from home.

Hudson
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
IPads! I'm furious about this thing! Anyone else have one break? Where the power cord plugs in? Forget repairing it yourself. They made it so you can't! Cheap-ass Apple products! Grrr!

Doug
Remillard
View Profile
New user
Mississauga, On
84 Posts

Profile of Remillard
Quote:
On Dec 28, 2014, Dougini wrote:
IPads! I'm furious about this thing! Anyone else have one break? Where the power cord plugs in? Forget repairing it yourself. They made it so you can't! Cheap-ass Apple products! Grrr!

Doug

Never broken the chargeing connector, but I've dropped a few and smashed the screen over the years. Apple care plus. Walk into the store, hand them 40 bucks and they hand you a replacement. Well worth the extra hundred at purchase.
Remillard
View Profile
New user
Mississauga, On
84 Posts

Profile of Remillard
Gotta say I'm really glad I read this thread. Reminded me to back up all of my downloaded media to an external HD. Fifty plus gig of lectures, e-books, and tutorials copying now. I'd hate to have to recover all of this stuff if it got lost.
tommyellison
View Profile
Regular user
157 Posts

Profile of tommyellison
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Thanks Tommy!

This helped me find the store in Birmingham.
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
934 Posts

Profile of Aus
I have to say reading the very well discussed issue of visual learning by Fundsway and wwhokie1 I wish the points and distinctions they have made where a focus of our education system when I was at school. When I started primary school we would have two books, one with the complete alphabet from A to Z with pictures starting with the said letter and another book with our times tables from one to ten and we would verbally recite from these books as our daily morning ritual.

Upon reflection I think I learned my alphabet not from reciting it but from the alphabet song that the kids started to sing at school, as for my times tables I never grasped those at all. At school I was always in the special maths class or getting some tuition from a remedial teacher but none of it seemed to help. I'm not sure why that was, but I feel that the curriculum that was forced on me to be adopted was very linear with little room to move and the teaching skill of the teacher and their ability to adapt to the student was less then adequate. Whatever it was, it was just an overwhelming feeling that education was a chore not a pleasurable experience and maybe if the same motivations that I enjoy in learning magic where used in my educational life things may have been different.

Speaking from experience later in life a person will seek out alternatives that will best suit their needs, as that is what I did in the end for myself.

Anyway, my intention wasn't to derail this discussion with my ramblings, just the topic hit a personal cord with me is all.

Back to the discussion.

Magically

Aus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » DVDs? Really? In 2014? (25 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL