The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. Born to Perform Magic DVD by Oz (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Vernest
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of Vernest
I feel that Pearlman made a good move. It has magicians talking about him,although I would HATE to be reviewed in a negative way by Close,specially over a DVD that most of the "young bloods" are getting big time. Notice that most of the guys that are in a higher level don't even pay attention to it in the first place. Then again,I could be wrong,maybe Lorayne and Racherbaumer bought the DVD! Nonetheless,Pearlman is doing a good job on Stealing Pips, but I personally feel that his other video is just stuff you can compare to the ellusionist guy.

PIGLET:

I first want to congratulate you for being a female interested in card magic, it has to be one of the few times I have had the plesure to see this happend. I recomend you really start with the books on the local book store,or library. Afterwards move on to Royal Road like Ed would recomend you. Erdnase...don't read it yet,trust me. Something you must first learn is how to control your audience,how to manipulate does 52 friends in a way that you can escape any difficulty. Erdnase is "The card man's bible" as Vernon would say, so read that once you learn how to control the cards, for example using a Hindu shuffle or overhand,a double undercut,etc. Erdnase will only get your mind ahead of the game without knowing the players.In other words, you will learn it,no doubt about it, but you might not know how to use it for your advantage or for higher effects. Also, if you read The expert at the card table,you might not be able to see "in betwen the lines" like Vernon did, and will not be able to actually find the taste of the book. But in case you don't care to do what I suggest,atleast get this advice from me and buy The Annotated Erdnase, I believe this will teach you what Erdnase is really all about.

Again,I'm glad that you like cards, because cards are "The poetry of magic" in Hofzinser's words. Keep the good work,and listen the advice you get from all the ones around here,and take the best out of them all!

Your friend,

Vernest

PS: My friend Elizabeth coordinates a website with Luna Shemada, you should come and talk to them on the chat room sometime.
Frankm6
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Frankm6
Get Born to Perform. Same amount of tricks you get in a Ammar DVD but a lot more of the useful and used sleights. Buy this video learn it backwards and forwards youll be well on your way. One argument for DVDs over books- Why do we love magic? not primarily to perform it but to SEE it. DVDs let you have the thrill of seeing an effect. This is where my joy in magic comes from. Fool me, entertain me and Im going burn the midnight oil to learn the trick. That will never match reading the effect description in a book. If all the DVDs had was the performance and then you got a book for the explanation that would be great- even better still is both. I use David Roth's Expert Coin magic videos and book, I refer to them both all the time. I use Richard Rosss book and his Stevens video, going back and forth between them. DVD and books together will never be beat by one or the other. The only thing that could beat them is a teacher standing over you shoulder. But thinking about it, the book and DVD is even better than that because the teacher isnt going to be there at three in the morning when inspiration hits. Good luck Piglet
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
I'll be brief...books are better, but if you want a dvd, Ammar's over oz's. Ammar's teaches you classic tricks that have stood the test of time and he teaches all the moves you need to know in order to do them. Oz teaches some good moves, but almost everything can be found in basic card books, and the featured tricks are a semi-good ambitious card routine, a re-named "here then there" which he calls ultimate transpo (dont ask me why he renamed the trick and it is EXACTLY the same), a less streamlined 2 card monte, and a pretty boring biddle trick.
Photofnish
View Profile
Regular user
Issaquah, WA
140 Posts

Profile of Photofnish
"Why do we love magic? not primarily to perform it but to SEE it. DVDs let you have the thrill of seeing an effect."

Well said, Frankm6. There IS something great about seeing magic, isn't there?

I've found that Born to Perform is a perfect complement to Ammar's stuff. For instance, Oz teaches a nice DL -- which makes learning an effect like Red Hot Mama a breeze.
Shnarker
View Profile
New user
Pittsburgh, PA
89 Posts

Profile of Shnarker
Quote:
On 2004-02-10 17:07, Photofnish wrote:
"Born To Perform" is an excellent learning tool for card neophytes. It complements "Royal Road" nicely and sets you up for success with stuff like Ammar's "Easy To Master Card Miracles #1" down the road. Example...

Oz teaches the DL quite well. Once you're competent with the DL, stuff like "Red Hot Mama" from ETMCM is a piece of cake.

I couldn't agree more. The DVD is an good companion to RRTCM. I say use both in tandem. I've used both sources, as well as others. BTP was a good pruchase for me.

Hope this helps.

Larry
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Has anyone bothered to read the original post? "
"the sliding move thingy" tells me a basic cours eis needed.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
384 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
"I got this DVD from Penguin Magic about a month ago. Being a total beginner to card sleight-of-hand, I have found this DVD to be excellent! It starts out with Oz Pearlman teaching the very basic essentials (i.e. Mechanic's Grip, Biddle Grip, etc) which were things even I didn't know about (yes, I was that clueless!)! Then the DVD progresses logically onto more advanced sleights including various cuts, shuffles, etc.. Oz's explanations are clear, concise and easy to follow. One thing I have found is that I sometimes have to adjust my hand position, etc when learning a sleight due to my hand not being the exact same size as Oz's. But this would be expected -- everybody's hands are totally different from each other in terms of musculature, strength, length of fingers, size, etc..

Also included in the DVD are live performances of a few of Oz's card effects which are then explained later in the DVD. Very impressive effects!

If one is a total beginner to card sleights, this DVD is incredible. It is a great buy, and I would
MagicCarisio
View Profile
Inner circle
1061 Posts

Profile of MagicCarisio
I would definately start off with "Born to perform" DVD and Volume 1 of "Card College". Then you can continnue on with the rest of CC volumes, and also by aquiring Gerry Griffin's DVD's on card magic!
"Complete Card Magic" DVD's by Gerry Griffin. Gerry has a wonderful way of teaching that will be real easy for you to learn almost everything you want to know about card magic!
Gerard
Logan Five
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1477 Posts

Profile of Logan Five
I have seen Gerry Griffin perform in person some of the basics sleights flawlessly. Gerry is very smooth with the basics. If I had to start over all again, I would get his DVD's. Everyone on here gave good advice.

When you've got enough moves down, you won't need those gimmicked cards Piglet.
Self concept is destiny..
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
Naval Air Facility, Atsugi, Japan
1158 Posts

Profile of dynamiteassasin
Hi user Piglet.

When I was starting in magic with cards, I too also was referred to books. I had Mark Wilson books and Bob Long's Giant Book of Card Tricks. However, I couldn't make heads or tails out of it.

So I then was referred to the video called
Crash Course 1:Sleight of Hand Card Magic of http://www.ellusionist.com
The video helped me a lot. Not only does it teach the very important sleights and killer tricks, but it also teaches tips on how to handle spectators and how to increase their reaction on a magical effect. Then I jumped to harder stuff.
Born To Perform is a nice dvd however I find Oz Pearlman's teaching style a bit fast at times for me. Indeed he is a great performer but he is not my kind of teacher. It's maybe I am accustomed to other teachers.
Personally, I'd recommend Crash Course 1 ( http://www.ellusionist.com/order/crash1order.htm )
but if you think that Born To Perform is your way to go, then get it! you have nothing to lose. Smile Smile

After learning some sleight of hand in videos, get the "Bible of Card Magic" - Royal Road To Card Magic.

Then, you can check out pretty advanced stuff.. Smile
MagicCarisio
View Profile
Inner circle
1061 Posts

Profile of MagicCarisio
Yes! I also recommend "Crash course 1" by Ellusionist!
I own the video and forgot to mention it.
Tha video is awesome!
Gerard
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Here is my comment:

Get this DVD! Here are my reasons:

1. Not too many tricks. Sounds strange, but its true. He teaches 4 tricks, and it will take some time to handle them properly. If you have more tricks to choose from, you get confused.

2. Good basics. He teaches "all" (what a word in this context!) the basics that you need to perform. Of course, a lot af the advanced stuff is missing, but hey, its only a starting point!

3. Good presentation: In my eyes one of the most important things. There are a lot of DVDs on the market with a lot of good tricks, but with poor presentation. This DVD looks very professionel, and you want to watch it over and over again, just to see the performance!

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
ragingoptimist
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of ragingoptimist
I enjoyed the DVD, but it only has a few tricks on it. Get this with Card College 1 and you'll be set for some time!
mballen11502
View Profile
Loyal user
Memphis, TN
202 Posts

Profile of mballen11502
I mostly am into coins now, but this DVD made my brief entry into card magic very easy. It is straightforward and Oz is a pretty good teacher. I know a lot of guys around here will point you to Ammar or to some other source but if you want to try your hand at some basic card sleight routines, this is a good choice.

M
Tim Jahn
View Profile
Special user
South Florida
911 Posts

Profile of Tim Jahn
BTP was the first DVD that I ever got. It was what started me down the path so to speak. I recommend this DVD to anyone just starting out in card magic. At the same time I'm going to drop in a recommendation for royal road and the card college series. Also...I believe that theres a lot to be said for learning from books instead of just DVDs and video. Please don't take books for granted. Video is great but reading from the printed page with cards in hand is an invaluable tool.
(Okay, that's my soapbox and I'll get off now).

I still use some of the tricks I learned in BTP. Two card Monte for example. I just used that yesterday as a matter of fact. I've moved up quite nicely since I first watched BTP. I can do things now that I never thought that I would be able to do. With some time, Patience, and lots of practice, You will too. Its a great thing to be able to bring some enjoyment and excitement into peoples lives and theres a sense of pride in being able to do so.

Welcome to the wonderful world of card magic!!

Tim
Andrew, (ASW)
The effects on the DVD and lecture notes are far beyond your abilities. (They require mastery of the mechanic's grip.) It would only break your heart.
Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz.......(This post has got to be in my top 5.)
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Oz did a wonderful job on this DVD. He covered basics and some advanced card work.

There are, I think, 4 "tricks" taught. Well..they are 4 classics. Not 4 "fun" tricks to try out your newly learned sleights. ACR, Biddle Trick, a 2 card transpo and Eddie Fechter's "be honest, what is it" ( wrongly called two card monte ).

The "tricks" taught you could use strolling or table hopping and amaze folks all night long.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
ChrisK
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of ChrisK
I have to concede that this wasn't my first instructional DVD into card magic. But after I got it, away went all the flashing, shoddy double lifts, and useless patter. He definitely put me on the road of improvement. Highly recommended - The teaching is clear, precise and everything you can expect from a DVD.

ChrisK.
Tim Jahn
View Profile
Special user
South Florida
911 Posts

Profile of Tim Jahn
Yeah..The biddle trick! How could I forget that one!
This is another that I use all the time and it never fails to get a great reaction.

Tim
Andrew, (ASW)
The effects on the DVD and lecture notes are far beyond your abilities. (They require mastery of the mechanic's grip.) It would only break your heart.
Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz.......(This post has got to be in my top 5.)
Shodan
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man
663 Posts

Profile of Shodan
I started out with Greg Wilson's "Double Take" - highly recommended.
"You don't go up to strangers with a stick and come at their head...introduce yourself first, then come at them with a stick." - David Williamson
Cyar
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of Cyar
I have the RRTCM DVD's and I find BTP a much livelier and engaging view.
I told those f***s down at the league office a thousand times that I don't roll on Shabbos!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. Born to Perform Magic DVD by Oz (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL