The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Need help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Here is the question. If you are working under 1099 at a restaurant. Do you have to have workman's comp? A new tax lady at my restaurant is saying that I do. Thanks

Michael
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
The reason for this is, workman's comp doesn’t cover those working as an independent contractor.

But here is the thing, workman's comp is usually just for those with employees, and in most states doesn’t
even cover the owner of the business. So you may not even be able to buy it in your state. Of course each state can differ.

What you need is Liability insurance. Ask if that would do.

Tom
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Is the restaurant deducting taxes from the check they give you. If so, you are employee. You should be an independent contractor. They pay you the full amount you charge and you pay your own taxes and insurance. Seems there is confusion on someone's part here. Tell the new account that she should check with their tax accountant. Being they are paying more then $500, you need to get a tax exempt number and give it to the bookkeeper. If you do not have a tax exempt number, the they will take your social security number, as they have to report anything over $499 to the government. That figure was some time ago, so it may be more or less now. This also means you will have to pay quarterly estimated taxes as well.

I strongly suggest you talk to a good tax account, and an attorney to find out more about when you are business and the only employee.
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Thank you. I did mention the Liability Insurance. Thanks again.
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
She seems to think that the other entertainers they hire every now and then needs workman comp also. Just weird I have never heard about it before. I am a 1099 she knows this because she is the tax accountant. I work for them all year round. Thanks
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Many magic entertainers get the labiality policy through SAM or some of the other magic groups, and that is all they need.

I do know, the law doesn’t require you to have workman's comp unless you have a certain number of employees working for you. Around 4 for most states.

Tom
Taterini
View Profile
Special user
604 Posts

Profile of Taterini
I sent you a PM... hope it helps
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Michael,

It's going to depend on the State of South Carolina's rules concerning workers compensation. In Tennessee, a business is not required to have workers compensation insurance unless they have at least five employees. Individual business owners with no employees (like you) are automatically exempted from workers compensation coverage unless they elect to be covered. The exception to this is anyone who works in the construction industry. Tennessee has a separate set of rules for contractors.

I just did a quick search on the South Carolina Workers Compensation Commission website and found this:
Sole proprietors and partners are considered owners of the business and are not automatically included under workers' compensation insurance. They may elect to be covered if they are active in the business and have duly informed their insurance carrier.

This is the same as Tennessee so you are not required to have workers compensation. Here's the website: http://www.wcc.sc.gov/Pages/FAQEmployers.aspx
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On Dec 18, 2014, Michael Messing wrote:
Michael,

It's going to depend on the State of South Carolina's rules concerning workers compensation. In Tennessee, a business is not required to have workers compensation insurance unless they have at least five employees. Individual business owners with no employees (like you) are automatically exempted from workers compensation coverage unless they elect to be covered. The exception to this is anyone who works in the construction industry. Tennessee has a separate set of rules for contractors.

I just did a quick search on the South Carolina Workers Compensation Commission website and found this:
Sole proprietors and partners are considered owners of the business and are not automatically included under workers' compensation insurance. They may elect to be covered if they are active in the business and have duly informed their insurance carrier.

This is the same as Tennessee so you are not required to have workers compensation. Here's the website: http://www.wcc.sc.gov/Pages/FAQEmployers.aspx

Well said Michael.

Same in my state. While the laws do differ a little from state to state the whole concept of workman's comp is the same.
It is to protect employees on the job. And those not considered an employee are not covered under the policy.

The problem with situations like this is; workman's comp is like a workers 'group' policy. And it is hard to find an insurance
company that will sell you a group policy for ‘one’ person. Smile

Liability Insurance or a signed release is about the best you can do.

Tom
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Thanks to everyone. This is why the Magic Café is great place for magicians when they come together and help. And just case you haven't heard it yet "Merry Christmas."

Michael
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Talk to the lady tonight. They had a misunderstanding. I don't need workman's comp only liability insurance. Thanks to everyone who has helped. But I did learn that if they wanted me to get the workman comp and I wanted work there I would have to get it.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Yes, a "Hold Harmless" may satisfy them from any legal action on the behalf of Bairefoot. Hold Harmless is a simple statement in writing that Bairefoot will not give any liability to the restaurant for any accidents happening because of Bairefoot's actions.
eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
737 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
Michael,

These are the people I have my policy with: https://www.specialtyinsuranceagency.com......nce.html

-Eaton
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Thanks Eaton

Michael
Joe S.
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles, CA
270 Posts

Profile of Joe S.
One more vote for Specialty Insurance Agency. Truly WORLD-CLASS service. They take care of me, even when I only have a few days notice.
Love those guys.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Need help (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL