The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Gordon's Gold Dust & Companion (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Well, at least he didn't title it Nocturnal Emissions!
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On Dec 29, 2014, Atom3339 wrote:
Well, at least he didn't title it Nocturnal Emissions!

DMTA Smile
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Lol. I like several effects from this book.
Sure some of his stuff is derivative and some of his variations aren't as strong as the original. But it's usually a trade off. Either for resetting, or to make it impromptu or to eliminate a set-up or to use just one deck.
And I agree with Annemann that effect is everything, but Gordon's effects are what they are. Not everyone has to like them, but his audiences like them and he uses them to great effect, and I'm certain there is something in his books for everyone.
I really like his "Chameleon Card".
puffinmonkey
View Profile
Elite user
Seattle
437 Posts

Profile of puffinmonkey
I own both of these books. Personally I think they're great! Yes, there are lots of variations of existing effects. Like magicfish stated earlier, there's certainly something for everyone. The writing style is straight forward and easy to digest. I'd recommend picking these up if you have some magic budget before the year end! Smile (all these new releases are emptying my wallet!).

Cheers,

Alex
Hudson892
View Profile
Regular user
Sheffield, UK
103 Posts

Profile of Hudson892
Vol 3 is meant to be coming out soon so I reckon you should wait for that one as well
hp
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of hp
Vanishing Inc. sells Gold Dust in the U.S. for considerably less but they are out of stock. You may want to email them to see when/if they expect new stock in. They have been superfast responding when I had a question and often it was Andi himself who replied.

And BTW, Paul makes it clear that he has drawn much inspiration from Harry Lorayne. I have thought Harry was great ever since I saw him memorize the names of every member of the audience on Johnny Carson's Tonight show. I've seen him do magic in person too and it was nice to see him do many the things I have read about. I also respect his sharing so much with other magicians along with the fact that he is still creating and thinking.

Howard
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Hey Vlad: Nothing at all to do with the Paul Gordon discussion here - which was interrupted with stupidity, insult and over-poweringly obvious jealousy by the idiot edh who very often does that when my name is mentioned in any context. Just want to tell you know that you (and Atom3339, and so many more) make up for all the miserable Evil Dick Heads of the magic world. Thanks & Regards. Harry L.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
jaschris
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of jaschris
Bought Paul Gordon's Card Startlers DVD set last year. The tricks that stood out to me were Diminishing, Not Likely, Easy Ace Estimation and the Eight of Diamonds trick. I perform Diminishing, Not Likely a lot and it gets very good reactions. I also perform the Eight of Diamonds Trick. It is a self-working spelling trick that can be done from a shuffled deck.The fact that it is self-working allows one to focus on the presentation. The trick has a nice build up of tension with a kicker ending. Overall, I did not think his Card Startlers DVD was one of my best purchases but like I say I did fall in love with two tricks which I use all the time. So I'm glad I bought it. Can't really comment on the Gold Dust books, so apologies for maybe commenting in the wrong thread.
gcsmagic
View Profile
New user
Colchester, England
6 Posts

Profile of gcsmagic
I've liked Paul's card magic from the first time I saw it. To begin with I bought most of his packet tricks as they always end clean and the sleights (Eg Elmsey Count) are easy to do. I'll be honest it was his risky tricks like Effin Canibals that really got my attention first. I'd bought some of his DVDs but it was Alakazam's Gold Dust DVD which really got my attention. I loved the format, picture quality and clarity of Paul's explanations. This prompted me to buy his books at Blackpool this year. I find it very hard to digest written instructions but I have to say Paul's written explanations are as clear as his verbal ones (he does say he writes as he talks). It helps as I've watched all 3 Gold Dust disks I can relate to many of his moves so if you, like me, find written instructions daunting it may be worth watching the DVDs first.
I've only read the first 70 pages of Gold Dust but almost every trick has been a great read and I find myself reaching for my cards straight away to practise. So far, apart from the ones that also appear on the DVD set, I'd strongly recommend: That's Odd; Mars Life; The Session Stunner; A Predictable Stroll #2; Unusual-Method Oil & Water; Two Surprises For Two.
I'm sure there are going to be many more. Overall, I really enjoy Paul's card magic. His lectures are great and he's an easy person to speak with
Pierre Emmanuel
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Pierre Emmanuel
I perfectly understand that Paul Gordon's magic may not please everyone, and actually I used to .. disike.. his work. I changed my mind because I spent more time in magic, and performed more. I was more in love with long routines with many climax, maybe stories or strong visual things.. but this was my passion, and maybe not laymen taste, or maybe not ideal in every condition.
The more I practise, the more I discover there is room for short and efficient effects, and time for strong routines.

Paul Gordon filled a room in my repertoire. I used to look at " The World's best card trick" as a nonsense (what !? just a DLift ?) while in fact it is a good starter, one that works actually and helps me educating my spectators so they can later on appreciate a more complex effect. And Paul also proposes more complex things (off course) but if you are a big fan of multiphases collectors, advanced assemblies, P.Gordon will not be your source, and if you are only interrested by this, I would invite you to give a chance at Paul's work and try it for real, you will be surprised.
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
888 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
I'm thinking of buying the Gold Dust book or the Gold Dust Live DVDs. I'm leaning to get the book as it has more effects. To help me decide can anyone provide a list of the sleights described in the book. I have the gold dust sampler so I know a few such as EC, JC, and ATFUS are listed (which I can perform). Want to make sure there aren't a lot that I haven't mastered yet!

TIA
Phil
Leo Reynolds Jr
View Profile
Special user
864 Posts

Profile of Leo Reynolds Jr
Quote:
On Sep 3, 2019, docguitarman wrote:
I'm thinking of buying the Gold Dust book or the Gold Dust Live DVDs. I'm leaning to get the book as it has more effects. To help me decide can anyone provide a list of the sleights described in the book. I have the gold dust sampler so I know a few such as EC, JC, and ATFUS are listed (which I can perform). Want to make sure there aren't a lot that I haven't mastered yet!

TIA
Phil

If you go to Paul Gordons web site and look for downloads at top of page you will find a PDF with index for all Gold Dust Books
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Quote:
On Sep 4, 2019, Leo Reynolds Jr wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 3, 2019, docguitarman wrote:

TIA
Phil

If you go to Paul Gordons web site and look for downloads at top of page you will find a PDF with index for all Gold Dust Books

Thank you Leo for your reply. I didn't give enough info. I had the contents of the pdf but the Gold Dust ToC only lists a section titled "Useful Sleights." There is no list of the required sleights.

Phil
Leo Reynolds Jr
View Profile
Special user
864 Posts

Profile of Leo Reynolds Jr
Sorry missed understood your request Here you go.
Gold dust-Trevor Lewis Monte Switch, Derek Dingle's No-Lap Switch, Block Push-Off Lift, The Straddle Faro, The Reverse Faro,
J K Hartman's Secret Subtraction, The Bernard Bilis Lift Sequence, Ed Marlo's ATFUS, The Braue Reverse, Ed Marlo's Tilt,
Center Stud Double Lift, Pinky Count & Stud Double Lift, The Hamman Count, The Elmsley Count, The Jordon Count, and The Jogshuffle,

Gold Dust Companion- Block Push-off Lift, The Straddle Faro, The Reverse Faro. The Hamman Count, The Elmsley Count, The Jordon Count,
and TheJogshuffle.
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Thank you Leo!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Gordon's Gold Dust & Companion (16 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL