The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Looch - The Black Project (183 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..25~26~27~28~29 [Next]
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
The effect impressed him enough to spend hundreds on the book but the method disappointed him. The very same method that impressed him enough to buy the book.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown and Harpacrown Too are available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2531 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Quote:
On Dec 19, 2015, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
The effect impressed him enough to spend hundreds on the book but the method disappointed him. The very same method that impressed him enough to buy the book.

Mark

I see and yes that is funny
Taterini
View Profile
Special user
604 Posts

Profile of Taterini
Let's make one thing perfectly clear, I love Looch's work and have purchased probably everything he has brought to market so far

That being said...
Although seeing the effect performed on YouTube was quite appealing, the method used is a technique I would never consider using and I'm sure there are several others that wouldn't use it either if you knew what it was.

To help clear this bit of funny business up please feel free to PM me to prevent any exposure here in this public searchable section and I'll gladly explain why the method used in this effect did not appeal to me and possibly, may not appeal to some of you either.

Have a safe and wonderful Christmas and holiday season everyone ! Smile Smile
voh002
View Profile
Special user
547 Posts

Profile of voh002
Quote:
On Dec 21, 2015, Taterini wrote:
Let's make one thing perfectly clear, I love Looch's work and have purchased probably everything he has brought to market so far

That being said...
Although seeing the effect performed on YouTube was quite appealing, the method used is a technique I would never consider using and I'm sure there are several others that wouldn't use it either if you knew what it was.

To help clear this bit of funny business up please feel free to PM me to prevent any exposure here in this public searchable section and I'll gladly explain why the method used in this effect did not appeal to me and possibly, may not appeal to some of you either.

Do you intend to expose the method to anyone interested in a PM? You have the right to be disappointed, but please do not expose methods just to prove your point.
nonprofitmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of nonprofitmagic
In "INFLUENCE", the fact that our (meaning the audience of YouTube viewers) reality is different than the actual spectators' reality is a bit troubling, especially because Looch explicitly discounted the use of such an approach.

I don't think the point is very funny. I think it's perfectly valid to be disappointed because this was misleading.

Kevin

Quote:
On Dec 21, 2015, voh002 wrote:
Quote:

That being said...

Do you intend to expose the method to anyone interested in a PM? You have the right to be disappointed, but please do not expose methods just to prove your point.
Taterini
View Profile
Special user
604 Posts

Profile of Taterini
Quote:
Quote:

That being said...

No, I do not plan to expose it to everyone who PM's me... not my intention at all.
I just didn't want to go into any detail at all here and take a chance of someone else exposing it in an open forum discussion.

I'm not posting here to prove a point, there are plenty of others here that do that on a daily basis.

I'm just saying that the method used in this particular effect is a method I personally do not consider a desirable one and not something I would ever use and I was disappointed to discover that it was the method being used.

I bought the book set and, just as everyone praising the book(s) are entitled to their opinion, I'm entitled to express what I feel is my honest opinion of what I thought was a bit of a let-down when it came to this particular effect.

Have a great day !
dan the man
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of dan the man
Quote:
On Dec 21, 2015, nonprofitmagic wrote:
In "INFLUENCE", the fact that our (meaning the audience of YouTube viewers) reality is different than the actual spectators' reality is a bit troubling, especially because Looch explicitly discounted the use of such an approach.

I don't think the point is very funny. I think it's perfectly valid to be disappointed because this was misleading.

Kevin

Quote:
Quote:

That being said...

I have to agree with this.. To me the reason why this piece was so fooling was the fact that the method behind it was explicitly discounted, which in fact is not true. Not that this method is bad or anything (I love it), but mentioning that it wouldn't be used was very misleading IMO.

However, still love the book! It's beautiful and full of great information.
Withnail
View Profile
Special user
974 Posts

Profile of Withnail
Ooh, how does Looch do influence? How does he do it? How does he do it?

Repeat for several years.

Then complain about how he does it.

OR...

Look at the end result, you know, the effect on a spectator, and figure out your own way of making it happen. You know, like Looch does, and tells you to do, in his books...

Big sigh...
Yet again that oaf has destroyed my day
Rolyan
View Profile
Special user
I'm fencing in my land; so far there are
590 Posts

Profile of Rolyan
Quote:
On Dec 22, 2015, Withnail wrote:
Ooh, how does Looch do influence? How does he do it? How does he do it?

Repeat for several years.

Then complain about how he does it.

OR...

Look at the end result, you know, the effect on a spectator, and figure out your own way of making it happen. You know, like Looch does, and tells you to do, in his books...

Big sigh...

Read his post again. He's complaining that the method used was explicitly discounted as the method. That's the complaint and he's entitled to it.

I'm sure he's just as capable of creating his own routines as you are. But he's entitled to his opinion and entitled to express it on here; your response would be better if it addressed the issue, rather than making fatuous comments which seems the norm when anyone dares criticise an author or publication on the Café.
SolidSnake
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of SolidSnake
Withnail - You say consider the effect that Influence has on the spectator. Well that just depends on who the spectator is meant to be. If it is a live audience then great but if the spectator is those watching on youtube the quite frankly anyone can create any effect or method for a spectator through video.
There is no holy grail!
Withnail
View Profile
Special user
974 Posts

Profile of Withnail
Quote:
On Dec 22, 2015, Rolyan wrote:

your response would be better if it addressed the issue, rather than making fatuous comments which seems the norm when anyone dares criticise an author or publication on the Café.

Wow. Thanks for the advice, dad. It's not about anyone criticising authors. It's about whining and moaning from people who don't like the price of a publication then try and pull it down. Oh well. Maybe I should just stick to using mentalism to pick up girls...
Yet again that oaf has destroyed my day
Taterini
View Profile
Special user
604 Posts

Profile of Taterini
Quote:
Quote:

your response would be better if it addressed the issue, rather than making fatuous comments which seems the norm when anyone dares criticise an author or publication on the Café.

Wow. Thanks for the advice, dad. It's not about anyone criticising authors. It's about whining and moaning from people who don't like the price of a publication then try and pull it down. Oh well. Maybe I should just stick to using mentalism to pick up girls...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I never complained about the price of the books... nowhere in my posts have I said anything of the sort.
I bought them and I'm glad I did as I am a Looch fan who owns a lot of his work and enjoys it a great deal.

I never criticized Looch as an author, but rather I said I was disappointed by the method being used since I will not be able to use it without fear of exposure after the performance. It's one that I feel is unusable in a public environment in front of a live audience. I wouldn't feel comfortable performing it without fear of the method being exposed afterward when it's likely to be discussed by the participant and some of the spectators.

I didn't in anyway "try to put it down" as you stated, I simply stated that the method used in an effect was disappointing to me for the reasons stated above.

As for my comment about "not picking it up since"... it was not meant as a derogatory statement, if that is the way you read it. It's in reference to the fact that I have a busy schedule and travel quite a bit especially at this time of year and still haven't had time to read the entire book set completely yet. Hopefully across the holiday season I will get time to dig into it more.

There is no "whining or moaning" in my posts, I just stated that I was disappointed that I could not use the method described in this effect and feel comfortable doing it.

It all boils down to this...
We all have different likes and dislikes, otherwise we'd all be married to the same woman... that wouldn't be much fun now would it?

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to everyone!!! Smile
Rolyan
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Rolyan
Quote:
Quote:

No, you should stick to being a little bit more adult. You don't know the reasons why people complain, and the complaint is valid in this case. Tarerini expressed it well, and she he's stated that he is a Looch fan and owns the books, his comments are just as valid as yours.
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3353 Posts

Profile of Looch
I've recently set up a private group on Facebook for those owners who would like to discuss aspects of The Black Project. I'm manually adding people on there that I am friends with but with nearly 400 owners it's not easy. If you own the book and have a Facebook account please either inbox me here or on FB and I'll add you. Please check first to see if you have already been added... This is something a few owners have requested and is optional, so if you want to get involved then you know what to do Smile
Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/ Learn Mentalism with the Pro's: https://www.mymind.rocks
Aaron Smith
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith
My copy has just arrived. Only had a quick look through it but the quality of the set is fantastic. Easily taking pride of place on my bookshelf. Will chime back in with my thoughts after having a proper read.
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3353 Posts

Profile of Looch
Not sure if you guys are aware but TBP has been nominated in the best book of the year thread: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=110

If you feel it deserves your vote then please by all means cast it on the thread. It's currently neck and neck with another book. Every vote will count because TBP was a limited release of just 400, so I'd appreciate your vote if you liked it!

Happy new year! Smile
Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/ Learn Mentalism with the Pro's: https://www.mymind.rocks
Nerdy Wizard
View Profile
New user
Derby
86 Posts

Profile of Nerdy Wizard
Hi Looch,
Probably a long shot but I was wondering if there were any copies of TBP still available?
Thanks
overflow
View Profile
Regular user
Italy
160 Posts

Profile of overflow
Quote:
On Jan 6, 2016, Nerdy Wizard wrote:
Hi Looch,
Probably a long shot but I was wondering if there were any copies of TBP still available?
Thanks

It seems that you can still buy the book from www.theblackproject.co.uk

Best
Overflow
Rolyan
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Rolyan
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2016, overflow wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 6, 2016, Nerdy Wizard wrote:
Hi Looch,
Thanks

It seems that you can still buy the book from www.theblackproject.co.uk

Best
Overflow

Or even http://www.alakazam.co.uk/product-The-Bl......och.html and get a free DVD!
Aaron Smith
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith
So finished my first read through of this the other day so thought I'd post my thoughts. As I've already said the actual quality of this set is unbelievable. Easily the nicest set of books I own. The content, as you'd expect is excellent. Some great effects included throughout. And so many times I'd have a smile on my face reading the explanations of them, the **** off effect being one of them. Great thinking throughout. One of my favorite parts was the memoirs. Its great being able to get an insight into the professional performer like that.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Looch - The Black Project (183 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..25~26~27~28~29 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL