We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » The Wizard (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

abracadanny
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of abracadanny
Hi everyone. I came across some very old magic magazines called The Wizard (issues: Sep 1908, June 1908, Jan 1907, May 1908, Aug 1907. Dec 1908, Jan 1908, Nov. 1909, June 1909, Oct 1908, June 1907.) I have never heard of this Magazine and was Wondering if any of you know anything about it? Who were the publishers, Was it well known, etc... Thanks!
jamessmith
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of jamessmith
The Wizard would have been a very well-known magazine at the time as, for a while, it claimed to be the official magazine of The Magic Circle (which had only just been founded and whose foundation was covered in the first couple of issues). It featured most of the prominent magicians of the period; each issue usually having a “big name” on the cover. It was published by P T Selbit (i.e. Percy Tibbles) who perhaps is best known now for the sawing through a woman illusion. It went under the name The Wizard for 5 years from 1905-1910 before becoming The Magic Wand. The latter ran for almost another 50 years, until the end of 1957.

Given that it only ran for five volumes complete files of The Wizard do show up fairly frequently at auction. It is a fascinating insight into magic at the beginning of the twentieth century.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5322 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Thanks jamessmith, that's really interesting. As a past comic collector, I've only known of the comic journal WIZARD, which populates most of the Google searches, as does Wizard of Oz publications (of which I am particularly fond of). I did come upon this however:
http://www.lybrary.com/wizard-magazine-volume-14-p-5605.html
Is there a relationship between the publications other than title?
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » The Wizard (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL