We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Help needed so not to offend (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
I have been booked by a local church to do their annual banquet, and let's just say this particular denomination is VERY conservative.

They have no problem with me being a magician, but I am worried after I saw their website and saw HOW conservative they were. (Spiritual gifts are of the devil, no contemporary music, etc.)

I am not wanting to start a religious debate, just wondering what should I avoid as to not offend?
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Steve Hart
View Profile
Veteran user
Palm Bay, FL
382 Posts

Profile of Steve Hart
Neale,

I think this is simple, just ask them. Since they hired you they trust your judgment. So ask them. If you are questioning anything you do in your show that might be offensive, they will tell you and appreciate your considerations.

This just happened to me last month; I decided to take out the card routine I use. The gentleman who hired me had no problem with my using cards but he thought there might be a few in the church who would. So being the professional that I am I took it out of the show and replaced it with another trick. They already booked me back again.

My rule: never assume, always ask. If I do offend them I don't take it too personally. I know that it is my desire to glorify God through my performance.

Steve Hart
Cape Canaveral, FL USA
www.SteveHartSpeaks.com
www.magic2motivate.com
"Motivational Magicians are some of the highest paid magicians, find out why?"
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8696 Posts

Profile of harris
I am going to do a program at a church dinner on Valentine's Day. They specifically asked me not to include magic. Luckily I can draw on comedy, improvisation and, of course, puppetry/ventriloquism, marionettes.

Of course I will respect their beliefs.

My wife suggested a motto that I use in these situation, "When in doubt, don't use it."

In His Name
Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Jon Gallagher
View Profile
Veteran user
Elmwood, Illinois
395 Posts

Profile of Jon Gallagher
Over the Christmas holidays, I was hired by a Muslim group to do their holiday party. The rules were pretty simple:
  1. Do NOT mention the word magic.
  2. Do NOT use "magic words."
  3. No reference to Christmas or Santa Claus
  4. No tricks with fire.
  5. Do not use the word "trick."
  6. Do not claim supernatural powers.
  7. Do not mention "God."
As my eyes started to glaze over as my client gave me the rules, I started asking questions. "How about if I..." is how most of them started. I asked a lot of questions and if he didn't know the answers, he got back to me. As a result, we had a very successful show and I've been invited back for two more shows.

The key, I think, is the questions. Better to ask in advance than to find out later that it wasn't allowed.
www.jongallagher.com

Hey! I'm finally a Dot Com!
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
Neale

The guys who've answered already are "right on the money". The easiest way is the direct approach. If after this you still have questions/doubts, invite the preacher over, give him a quick preview of the show and ask for his input.

I was raised in a denomination that is very strict (good people and I love them) and can appreciate what you are going through, and do appreciate the spirit you are doing it in.

God bless you

Godspeed
Steve Smile
Cabrera
View Profile
Special user
Seattle
513 Posts

Profile of Cabrera
I woud probably feel so stifled thet I would just pass on this show. But good luck.
"The quilt of life is woven with many different threads"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Help needed so not to offend (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL