We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » How to carry gaffed cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

wassabi_87
View Profile
Loyal user
moscow, idaho
226 Posts

Profile of wassabi_87
It seems that my biggest problem with the current way I carry my gaffed cards (stuck in the case with a pack of my regular cards) is that they get mixed up, and that it looks suspicious when I pull them away fom the regular deck when pulling it out to do a trick. I would appreciate any comments. Smile Smile
bike during the day,
do magic at night,
and very early the next morning,
homework.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4859 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Hi Wassabi_87,

Keep them between the flip and the deck, that way as you go to open the card case you can hold them back with the first finger! Then it's easy to hold them back in the card case as you take out the cards! Then you can put them back into the card case (adding the gaffs!), do a coin trick or a non-card and card trick, then remember one last card trick you wanted to do, take the deck back out of the card case and you have rung in the gaffs without anyone being the wiser!

Best David Neighbors
The Coinjurer
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
Dano
View Profile
Loyal user
Centerville, OH
240 Posts

Profile of Dano
Wassabi_87:

Take a look at my post entitled "Packet Trick Management" in this forum. This technique works well for me. I think I have tried every other method at one time or another!

Regards,

Dano Smile
"Magic" is merely an illusion, but "Perception" is reality!
NYKnicks5
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of NYKnicks5
Here is a really cool idea some magican told me a few years ago. When you open a pack of cards, leave the cellophane wrapper on (obviously take the top part off). But when you remove the celophane, keep the bottom 3/4 on. I keep two or three gaffed cards inside there (a few duplicates, a different colored card, etc.).

Please try this once. You won't believe how natural this looks. As a bonus, people after sometimes think you just opened a brand new deck since the wrapping is still on. I have heard people talking later saying, "He opened a NEW pack...and he did that!" That's my 2 cents.
Justin Craddock
View Profile
Regular user
buffalo,ny
127 Posts

Profile of Justin Craddock
I leave the protective plastic coating on the deck but not on the top and when I am walking in school or somewhere the card is protected between this plastic.
All my gimmicks that I do not use are in my card wallets in my close-up case. Smile
"When a performance is over, What remains"
HighVolt29
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of HighVolt29
Get a Z-fold wallet. You can always switch them out for un-gaffed cards.
WoodRat
View Profile
Loyal user
California
233 Posts

Profile of WoodRat
I have a small vinyl card wallet I use for two sets of gimmicks, (Skinner's three-card monte and Bannon's Twisted Sisters) one set on each side. I just pull them out in front of the specs. It's never been a problem or created any suspicion.

You can try the plastic card protectors they sell in comic books stores for protecting trading cards and such if you can't find a vinyl card wallet. They come in all colors and can hold a few cards each.

I also keep my dups and different-colored backs in the cellophane on the deck itself. I mainly use Bikes and place them on the "ace" side of the pack. That way both sides of the pack show the Bicycle back and it looks completely normal. I can easily slide them out when I need to add them to the deck.

Cheers,
WoodRat
Learn something new everyday.
jaxonlee
View Profile
New user
Butte, MT
71 Posts

Profile of jaxonlee
One thing I have done to manage my gaffed cards (usually Skinner's U3M) is perhaps a little over-kill but it is effective:

Sacrifice an older card case, cutting out the side with the little half-moon for the thumb leaving around 1/8" of cardboard past the folds. Then turn turn the whole piece around so that the printed 'back' is facing the flap side of the new case. Put a thin coat of white glue on those wings, slip the leaf into the case and adjust it so that it will just allow three or four cards to fit under it. Let it dry.

When you want to reserve the gaffs in the case, just hold the case upside down as you let the rest of the cards slip out. If you adjusted the leaf, just right they'll just hang in the case. Otherwise, pull out the deck and let your thumb reach in to extract them.
Crixx
View Profile
New user
south florida
19 Posts

Profile of Crixx
WoodRat, Where did you get the vinyl wallet that you use? Ive been looking for one similar to the one that Bill Malone uses in his videos to hold his 3CM cards. I suppose it probbaly the same as what you described.

Thanks
Chris
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2149 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Penguin Magic sells plastic card wallets for $1. I haven't bought one, but I imagine it's similar to something like what Color Monte comes in.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
garcia00
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of garcia00
I have a small wallet just for this, with slots for 4 packets (like credit card holders), as well as two inner pockets. Think it came from england. Has brass corners
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5771 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I use much the same strategy that Don Alan did. He had several decks, each setup for a particular routine. He would break up the card routines with non-card routines, so it was easy to get rid of one deck and introduce another one later. I write a code on the top of each pack of cards to make sure that the correct deck is put in the right pocket or correct location in my prop case.
Crixx
View Profile
New user
south florida
19 Posts

Profile of Crixx
I found what I was looking for!!

http://www.elmagicshop.com/cgi-bin/webc.......83045.c9

Perfect.

-Crixx
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Go to your Card Collecting shop, and see what they have to offer. They have many different choices of card sleeves, cases, etc. Plus they are affordable.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Spanky
View Profile
New user
Oklahoma City
81 Posts

Profile of Spanky
Get a card case or something, so you can get your deck out of that
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
9306 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Thanks for that link Rob
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » How to carry gaffed cards (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL