The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Question regarding Aronson and Mnemonica (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Remillard
View Profile
New user
Mississauga, On
84 Posts

Profile of Remillard
Ha All. I've been reading a lot on here about Simon Aronson's effects and wish to explore further but I have one small problem. The only stack I have memorized is Mnemonica. I love what I can do with a mem deck and Tamariz' book is a great resource, but Simon's stuff just looks so appealing. I will probably look into learning the Aronson stack at some point, but for now I'll stick with what I know. I guess the question is, which Aronson book should I look into that has the best stack independent stuff? Effects that can be done with the mnemonica stack. Thanks.
chado158
View Profile
New user
Indianapolis, IN
80 Posts

Profile of chado158
You should be able to do about 90% of Simon's effects with Mnemonica. All of my favorites: 2 beginnings, Twice AS Hard, 4 Stop Intersection, Histed Heisted can all be performed with any stack. Buy them all! YOu'll love them Smile
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3854 Posts

Profile of JanForster
True, most of Simon's work is stack independent, his strongest creations anyway. I wonder that you ask as MD work most of the time is stack independent anyhow; stack dependent routines are more a nice side effect, seldom really strong - and never mental Smile. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
sgtgrey
View Profile
Special user
Austin, TX
839 Posts

Profile of sgtgrey
I use Mnemonica and I have used a LOT of Aronson's stacked deck tricks. As others said, 90% of it, mostly the best part, is stack-independent anyway.

For the few I like that are dependent on the Aronson stack I have simply devised easy ways to make them work with Mnemonica (e.g. shufflebored, mind reading deck, double mind reading deck [Eric Richardson's in the hands application], Michael Close's Myopia and Tut Tut). Surprisingly, most of these changes are very easy - shufflebored just takes a different stack of cards and a few shuffles to get to, Tut Tut just requires one card moving to a new position and a cut, etc. I now have a whole folder of documents where I've written down how I get into these so-called "Aronson stack dependent" effects using Mnemonica.

The ONLY trick so far that is Aronson stack dependent that I wish I could devise in Mnemonica is Eric Richardson's Tsunami 7s from his Aronson stack trilogy.

Also, even Eric's books, which are entirely stack dependent, have been useful with Mnemonica - I've translated some tricks, and even the ones I can't I still learn something useful and found it worth reading.
Remillard
View Profile
New user
Mississauga, On
84 Posts

Profile of Remillard
Thanks much for all of the useful replies. Jan, in answer to your question, I am relatively new to mem deck work and the only work I had read on it so far is Mnemonica. There are several effects in there that are stack dependent and I wasn't sure if most of Simon's work was specific to his stack. Hence my question.

Up until now, the only non-Tamariz mem deck effects I knew were a couple that I picked up from watching a Darwin Ortiz lecture. I'm glad to hear that most MD effects are Stack independent. The possibilities this promises are tantalizing to say the least.

Chado, thanks for your response. On your recommendation I went down to my local shop this afternoon and picked up a copy of Try the Impossible. Currently reading the section onTwice as Hard. Looks to be a killer effect. Heck, even just the UnDo Influence concept is worth the purchase price. Thanks again.

Sgtgrey. I'm intrigued Sir. You obviously know your way around an MD way better than I do. I'll definitely add Eric Richardson and Michael Close to my reading list.

Much studying to do.
chado158
View Profile
New user
Indianapolis, IN
80 Posts

Profile of chado158
It does take some practice to get Twice As Hard down. Once you do, its a real stunner. Simon's patter in TTI make the effect very special. I prefer the mind reading version. I think TTI is a good book for you to start out with. Most recommend his Bound To Please to start off with but since you're already familiar with mem deck work I don't think it really matters.
What I want to know is what Mnemonica effects are good with Aronson stack? I don't hear too many stack independent Mnemonica effects mentioned here.
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2544 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Quote:
On Dec 28, 2014, chado158 wrote:
What I want to know is what Mnemonica effects are good with Aronson stack? I don't hear too many stack independent Mnemonica effects mentioned here.

Here is a list I compiled of my favorite stack independent Mnemonica tricks. I have at one time or another performed each of them but only have 2 of them performance ready at the moment. Juan is just incredible.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=205
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
chado158
View Profile
New user
Indianapolis, IN
80 Posts

Profile of chado158
Thanks so much for that Steve! Looks like I will be busy tomorrow
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
3854 Posts

Profile of JanForster
If you have already mastered a MD then Simon's "Simply Simon" should be your first choice as it contains the most MD effects of all his books and apart of his "Twice as Hard" (wonderful!!) also the best and strongest MD effects. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4923 Posts

Profile of landmark
+1
Remillard
View Profile
New user
Mississauga, On
84 Posts

Profile of Remillard
Quote:
On Dec 28, 2014, chado158 wrote:
It does take some practice to get Twice As Hard down. Once you do, its a real stunner. Simon's patter in TTI make the effect very special. I prefer the mind reading version. I think TTI is a good book for you to start out with. Most recommend his Bound To Please to start off with but since you're already familiar with mem deck work I don't think it really matters.

Agreed. The calculations aren't too hard but doing them on the fly while continuing to patter can be a bit of a bear. But then I find that's probably the hardest part of a lot of mem deck work. Multi tasking FTW. I also don't think I'm too wild about using the joker as a justification for going through the deck. Will probably stick with the mind reading angle.

Steve's list is great. Made me pull out my copy of Mnemonica again to make some notes. Will need to read the whole book through again.

The further I get into mem deck effects, and see the power of it, I have to wonder why everybody doesn't use it. But I'm glad they aren't. Smile
Remillard
View Profile
New user
Mississauga, On
84 Posts

Profile of Remillard
Quote:
On Dec 29, 2014, JanForster wrote:
If you have already mastered a MD then Simon's "Simply Simon" should be your first choice as it contains the most MD effects of all his books and apart of his "Twice as Hard" (wonderful!!) also the best and strongest MD effects. Jan

Thanks Jan. As stated above, I just picked up Try The Impossible and am already greatly impressed. Love Twice as Hard. Simply Simon will definitely be my next purchase.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
3854 Posts

Profile of JanForster
It is so good that it is still (since 1995!) one of my three favorite books Smile. And my library is quite big... Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Remillard
View Profile
New user
Mississauga, On
84 Posts

Profile of Remillard
Quote:
On Dec 29, 2014, JanForster wrote:
It is so good that it is still (since 1995!) one of my three favorite books Smile. And my library is quite big... Jan

And I find that mine is quickly growing. The biggest problem is resisting the urge to dive into the next book before fully digesting what the current one has to offer.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
3854 Posts

Profile of JanForster
I know that problem... Smile
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Question regarding Aronson and Mnemonica (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL