We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Any DVD on busking without a table? (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
DeadMoney
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of DeadMoney
Hi,

I mean with full real audience act shown.
I did not find any.

Thank you.
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4354 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
From our fellow member "sjbrundage"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFmxwfQr......wwDVVQRQ
DeadMoney
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of DeadMoney
Yes I saw that and other performers too...I was looking for instructional DVD...
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
I've worked with and without. What's your question?
DeadMoney
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of DeadMoney
Just taking ideas/suggestions/routines from experienced performers...just to learn...everything...

I have seen opposite points of view for everything...from how to stop to the finale...and more things/opinions I see the better...

What works for you and why you think that's the case?
What have you tested that didn't work well or that you have changed, and in what way, in order to make it works?

Thank you!!! Smile
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13415 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I've given a lot of thought about this due to wanting to improve/enhance/expand my abilities.
I also had a goal to have an act that can be performed anywhere/anytime for anybody under any condition; even impromptu with no props (or very little time available to fetch/create them).

These are my feelings on the subject:

If you're currently busking and using a table, you should be doing a lot of your show OUT from behind your table anyway. Are you?
If not, don't hide back there.
Go enjoy your audience and get to know them up close and personal.
Your show will improve greatly.

Do tricks that take advantage of being out from behind the table...

Prof NM
Eggbag
Silk/TT
Comecy Card Trick
Slydini Silks
Linking Rings
Sponge Balls
Billoon (bill to impossible location)

A table has lots of advantages. It draws attention and creates a home base for you.
But you shouldn't need one.

Only doing tricks that require a table is a very rigid and inflexible way to go.

You should always be able to entertain stand-up without the need to stand behind and/or use a table.

Even if you do tricks that require a table, you should still get out from behind the table during parts of the trick
to help create attention or get attention back where it needs to be from all or part of your audience, etc.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
504 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations,

It's been a while since I watched it, but there's "Four of a Kind - A Sidewalk Performers Guide," that looks at the acts of four buskers. I believe I got it from Denny and Lee's.

Just my $02 (USD) worth. YMMV.

Joe Zeman aka
The Mage Ulysses
sjbrundage
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of sjbrundage
Quote:
On Dec 29, 2014, MagiUlysses wrote:
Greetings and Salutations,

It's been a while since I watched it, but there's "Four of a Kind - A Sidewalk Performers Guide," that looks at the acts of four buskers. I believe I got it from Denny and Lee's.

Just my $02 (USD) worth. YMMV.

Joe Zeman aka
The Mage Ulysses

This is a great DVD. Jimmy, Eric, Chanz and Kris are awesome people. I don't belive any of them use a table for their act. The dvd is a great lession in busking. I highly reccommend this dvd.
sjbrundage
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of sjbrundage
Quote:
On Dec 29, 2014, Blindside785 wrote:
From our fellow member "sjbrundage"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFmxwfQr......wwDVVQRQ

Also thank you for the share. During my first year of busking I used a table and I guess you can say I hid behind it. By throwing away the table it allows my act to be head level. I during the finale I usually stand up on a bucket and hold the rubik's cube high in the air. Learned that lesson from Jugglers Who get on unicyles and ladders. It allows my crowd to be tighter and a LOT deaper. Sometimes I will get 4-6 people deep and I will even have some of the people in the very back tipping because they can still see the show.

If you have any indiviual guestions about not using a table I would be more than happy to address them in how they pertain to my act. Obviously everyone is different and they each will have their own pros and cons about tables.
DeadMoney
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of DeadMoney
Thank you a lot to everybody...

I'm facing an huge problem right now...finding a pitch in Europe at this time of the year...

Hope I solve it...

I will look at "four of a kind"...if it is possible to get it Italy...
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Frank's post is very good on the topic.
To reinforce it:
I'd advise folk starting out to use magic that doesn't require a table.

I worked without a table for my first four years or so on the street.
I spent half a year adjusting to the idea of using a table partly, then tried using it for the Chop
Cup, but then dropped the
Chop Cup routine and went back to not needing a table.
Nowadays I take a table to the site if taking it is convenient. My table is a support surface
at a height suitable for me to hold some of my props until I want to use them - in front of the table.

The greatest value of a table, to me, is that pointed out by my personal tutor, a fellow magician. that the table
gives a certain 'look' to what you are doing on the street. He said "without the table, if you are talking to a few people on the street
with your magic, others may think you're just holding a conversation."
So a table gives that 'look', that drawcard, of some specific activity going on. That invites a "Stop" for pedestrians.
The presentation makes the magic.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Very well put -- Frank and sjb, and MagiCol.

IMO, a table or a prop csse "establishes" you as a performer, and not a "bystander". Here comes the "but": But, if you are standing behind it, it becomes a physicsl and psychological "barrier" between you and the spectators.

Signt lines are important. A single line in a circle show can see the table, but a larger crowd may not be able to see it. Any prop that must work on the table top, cannot be seen by people in the back row. Magic is a visual art!

In the school show, I have only one prop (Disecto--arm chopper) that works on a table--and that prop is only used if I'm on a platform, or the audience is seated on gym bleachers. SIGHT LINES!!! I don't use it for little kids--their hands are too smalll!

I never perform BEHIND the table! It's either at my side, or behind me. Buskers who feature the cups and balls, must,of course stand behind the prop table, but, the "exception proves the rule!"

So, if I were busking, I would probably have some sort of "scenery" or table, behind me. --Probably my small prop case on a chair, stool, or waiter's tray stand, but, I would work in front of it!

I could work out of my pockets, but, I feel that the scenery establishes a "theatrical setting".

Jimmie Talksalot works with a "doctor's case, sitting on the sidewalk. I guess I could "handle that".
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13415 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I don't know where I read it, but one of the good bits of advice I learned was to draw a crowd standing behind your table by doing whatever you do best to draw... card tricks for a few, a few other tricks, etc...then when the crowd is the size you like (whatever that is), announce your real show is about to begin, pull the table back away from the audience and get in front of it.
Now you are where your table was and it is well behind you.

Then begin your show.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
starksanity
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of starksanity
Steven's show is great! He has put in so many hours, and his advice on making the moments clear and visible is invaluable when working without a table.

Play up and out. If a table hinders that, don't use it. I use a table and think of it as "prestige" or production value. Props are on it, promising more magic, and discouraging walk-aways. Also, I use it for nefarious purposes.

To get to the original question DeadMoney, Four of a Kind is a great resource for what you are asking. There are four acts from two angles, audience and performer, plus a commentary from each performer explaining why they do what they do. Only I use a table on the DVD, and fairly sparingly.

The DVD was created to clear up a number of misconceptions about street performing/performers. One of them is the table. Cellini challenged his students in his later years to work without the table, so you are in great company when you aspire to that. It really makes You the focus of your show.

Italy, yes, just order from Denny Haney at www.dennymagic.com. He has the exclusive, and would be happy to send you a copy Smile

Kris
sjbrundage
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of sjbrundage
Quote:
On Jan 3, 2015, starksanity wrote:
Steven's show is great! He has put in so many hours, and his advice on making the moments clear and visible is invaluable when working without a table.

Play up and out. If a table hinders that, don't use it. I use a table and think of it as "prestige" or production value. Props are on it, promising more magic, and discouraging walk-aways. Also, I use it for nefarious purposes.

To get to the original question DeadMoney, Four of a Kind is a great resource for what you are asking. There are four acts from two angles, audience and performer, plus a commentary from each performer explaining why they do what they do. Only I use a table on the DVD, and fairly sparingly.

The DVD was created to clear up a number of misconceptions about street performing/performers. One of them is the table. Cellini challenged his students in his later years to work without the table, so you are in great company when you aspire to that. It really makes You the focus of your show.

Italy, yes, just order from Denny Haney at www.dennymagic.com. He has the exclusive, and would be happy to send you a copy Smile

Kris

Another Awesome thing about th3 4 of a kind DVD is the section where Jimmy, Chanz, Bentz, and Eric sit down and have a jam session just disscussing busking. This was one of my favorite portions of the DVD because you can see their differences and some of their similarities. Regardless they are all great buskers in their own right.
G.Gilbert
View Profile
Elite user
baltimore
495 Posts

Profile of G.Gilbert
When you look at the street performing world as a whole, practically nobody uses a table. Right? The only ones who do are the magicians who do the cups and balls... Soo just so just study any performer who isn't doing that
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
I worked with out a table for my first seven years as a busking.
I often still perform a show without a table.
One thing that is if your going to use a table, you should stand in front of it as often as possible.
The School of Busking dvd has a section on attracting an audience and tips both with and with out a table.
blue dragon magic
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of blue dragon magic
I have worked with and without it depends how I feel that day the table I use and as far as I know is not a magic trick secret. So ill explain, I go to a thrift store pick up a used suitcase that may work within my theme of show. For example if I wanted to do a Charlie chaplain type theme I would get a suitcase that resembles a steamer trunk of that time period. Got to your home depot, lowes, etc.. buy table Leggs that would fit inside the case drill the holes install the plates and usually I would set things up even the table. All part of my act I can carry my props inside and use a table if I need. This is just an idea may or may not like. Also figure how high you want the table while the Legs of table still fit inside. If they are too large you can bungee cord them together and carry them where the handle is.
blue dragon magic
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of blue dragon magic
Everything comes down to personal taste. Its funny I consider bucking like that of working a fast food place. You get hired you then watch a orientation video to see what it is you got yourself into. Lets say your hired as a cashier. Your not comfortable using the register but over time your a wiz. If you get into trouble usually you have a manager there to get you out of it. In street bucking you watch the DVDs read the books go out and soon you will be a wiz only difference is out on the street you don't have access to a manager to get you out of a bind. That's when you use what it was you learned from the DVDs and books. Here is an idea go out and busk for a month. Go back watch the DVDs and re read the books you will gain a clearer understanding of what they are teaching. And that makes the teaching tool priceless. You may even walk away with an understanding of bucking unlike before. Also to above post theres a YouTube video on how to make a suitcase table.
Szymon Krzysztoszek
View Profile
New user
Warsaw, Poland
78 Posts

Profile of Szymon Krzysztoszek
I can give you example how Gazzo is doing his new show without table. He is doing like that:

1) Joke with broken stool - he is pretending to sit on protruding rod.
2) Pick a card trick, card is lost in the deck, and deck is given for audience to protect it.
3) Egg bag
4) Orange from egg bag, in that orange is that signed card from seconds point
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Any DVD on busking without a table? (11 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL