We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Any DVD on busking without a table? (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
DeadMoney
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of DeadMoney
Wow...I would be very interesting to see Gazzo performing a street show without a table!!!

When and where did you see him doing that?
James_Kelsey
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of James_Kelsey
The four of a kind DVD set from Denny and Lee features four acts, all of which I believe do not use a table. Kris Bents has one but does not use it and the other acts don't even have one. They don't explain their acts but they explain a lot of the thinking behind their acts and you can get an idea of tricks to use and how to form a finale without a table.
DeadMoney
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of DeadMoney
I have ordered and I'm waiting "4 of a kind"...and I'd love to see Gazzo doing a street show without a table...
MagicofDesperado
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of MagicofDesperado
Nothing will ever teach you as much viewing as actually DOING.

Go out tonight and get ****-kicked. You'll learn 10x more than watching any video.

Take action.

Dartagnan
Szymon Krzysztoszek
View Profile
New user
Warsaw, Poland
78 Posts

Profile of Szymon Krzysztoszek
Gazzo was in Warsaw, Poland at magic meeting. I was there too. He learned us few things and also he have done show on stage, but when he was doing lectures for use he told us he is doing simillar show on busking.

Sorry for bad English guys ;D
blue dragon magic
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of blue dragon magic
I tend to work with a theme in my act. Many times the theme picks me. For instance one day I took out all my props and bowls everything I use in a show and it hit me not my intention but all had oriental type design to it. So I decided to go with an oriental theme. Also many items looked old and antique so I decided on a Charlie chaplain silent film theme. The costume was something I had but street performing putting on theatrical makeup was not practical so one day I went to a Halloween shop and found a blank white mask I can make it look like Charlie chaplain or oriental if I bought two this is how intake tricks that may not work normally and rework them. Yes trial and error is how you find what works and what doesn't. I always keep a pen and notebook to write everything that day. What worked what didn't eventually I get rid of what does and doesn't. Fine tune the act. You have to get over the fear of failing. Everyone remembers there first street performance and compared to where they are today there first hat and show probably sucked you just can't get yourself worried about failing your first time or one will never know or one will never get out to perform. All the advice DVD books in the world means nothing if you don't implement what you have learned. Studying to be a doctor for eight years only to flip burgers is not putting to use what you studied. The best advice is just go out and do it. After going out for awhile reread the books watch the DVDs again on street magic you will gain that inside knowledge they where trying to say. A better understanding. Many pending on age don't think in reality but fantasize money coming in traveling all over but the truth is a lot of hard work and personal experience is needed to get where you want to be. There comes a time to put the videos and books down and go out there. The right tricks comes from personal preference. What is it you like to perform. And yes your taste will change. Heck I hated card tricks. But over time I found a new love for them. Right now I am not fond of linking rings. But something or someone could change my mind. I am sure stage illusions and performing on stage is much like street performing. You have to gain the experience and constantly evolve your act. Streetnperforming and stage are two opposite mediums but can be equally lucrative. And fulfilling. Magic is a business rather you create perform or sell where you perform is your choice. I remember by first paid magic show what a disaster. I found that getting paid shows was harder for me so instead of searching for an audience street performing the audience comes to me. Once you come up with a unique act and find what works you keep doing it over and over perfecting your story patter perfecting your hat line perfecting how you get an audience.
blue dragon magic
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

And also at my age I do not know everything about magic or street performing nor make any claims of the like. I learn every day and practice every day I enjoy watching people perform. I look for there styles. Out at Venice beach one day I met the jimmy talks a lot and another performer whose name escapes me but was on the calling videos. It was a highlight of my day watching talking and learning from those whom I saw on DVDs. Sonny Holliday was his name both where there at the same time. I learned a lot and even sonny Holliday asked me for advice as to the audience type. That was neat. You just don't know what will come out of street performing. Or the opportunities.
blue dragon magic
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Cellini videos
Tukaram
View Profile
Regular user
Iloilo, Philippines
200 Posts

Profile of Tukaram
I have seen a number of street magicans (buskers/same thing) working sidewalks in touristy areas. They put their table near the curb and stand with their backs to the table, facing the crowd on the sidewalk. This helps control the crowd to the front of him. It gives him somewhere to keep his props, if they are too big for his pockets. Also allows for signage and somewhere to keep a tip bucket or hat displayed.
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
I've worked at the curb because if I stood on the building side of the pavement it would mean many pedestrians who hug the building side as they walk [width of sidewalk, and those who choose to be on the inside against buildings so they can easily window-shop], would have to veer around me and my group. In those circumstances, rather than significantly disrupt the smooth foot traffic flow I'd rather be on the curb side where less foot traffic is [and there are open sitting areas for relaxing in], and people are travelling at a slower rate.
If you've got Eric Evans' book "The Secret Art of Magic" he has a bit to say about deliberately using The Jetty Effect on page 51 - 55.
If you haven't got the book then do yourself a favour if you work the streets and learn about strategies ...
The presentation makes the magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Any DVD on busking without a table? (11 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL