The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Is this a known Double Lift? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
Thank you Darren and Magic886Man, really appreciate the observations.

Darren, yes, it works fine for triples although I usually modify the handling for that... in short, I hold my right hand low over the deck so the triple springs up into the fingers of this hand (the cards don't get to stand so upright), then turn the cards over as usual. Hope that makes sense.

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to watch the clip and comment.
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
Automark
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Automark
I first off think it is an unnatural move, just as everyone else has pointed out, unless you make your singles the same way. However, it will still look weird but we are magicians...and most of us are weird. Smile

I do like the move though. I have been looking at it at every angle, it would be a good move to use as a flash of the top card (This your card?) let it drop and whammo, instant top card. Ambitious or location or transposition or anything.

I would call it surprise double from the pop up action, or maybe even pop double, and if I must go three I would call it "scared of the diving board" double. Lee would get a kick out of that.
peter teagle
View Profile
Regular user
Redditch, UK
195 Posts

Profile of peter teagle
NeoMagic

I think it looks great! It's flashy, cocky and visual! I love it!

peter
"technique is science.
the application of technique is art."

peter teagle
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
NeoMagic,

I have been working with a similar thing, although I don't allow my card to pop up as high as yours, I find this great for a second deal or for pushing two cards as one.
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
I usually do the same for triples, i.e. not letting the card pop up so high. See my earlier reply to Darren.
Kammall
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Kammall
I can't watch the video...any help?
submagi
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of submagi
How about the "Insert-Your-Name-Here Pop Double Lift". Keep it simple and easy to remember. I like having a name describe the move, just makes more sense to me than some crazy out-there name.

PS: I liked it, seemed kinda slow (the double lift counting), but with some misdirection I bet the specs will miss that.
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
Looks like you're doing something to me - drawing attention to a secret manuever seems like a bad idea to me, but what do I know? As far as precedents go, the D'amico double has already been mentioned, and is the closest in handling that I can recall. Maybe you can work this into a context where drawing attention to the card at the time you are doing something secret is appropriate - I'd be interested to see it used in the context of an effect - that will tell you a lot more about its' viability than a barefaced demo does.

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1946 Posts

Profile of Claudio
Neomagic,

Very nice move and I like your creativity. Sure it looks studied but the demo being a 'demo of the move', it's not suprising. I'm conviced that this DL inserted in a routine would work well. I do not buy the suggestion that you have to turn all your cards over, may they be singles or not, the same way.

However because this lift is unusual, integrated in a routine such as Roberto Giobbi's Card Collection where 3 cards are chosen and displayed the same way, but the third one using a DL, your move would go down very nicely I think. Basically the spectators have got used to your way of showing cards within the frame of the routine and the DL on the 3rd will go completely unnoticed. I know this because I use the D'amico double lift for that very same routine.
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
Claudio, thanks a million for the words of encouragement and suggestions, I really appreciate it!
Eternal
View Profile
New user
Chicago
7 Posts

Profile of Eternal
Real cool you look amazingly natural doing it

great lift
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
947 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
Harry Lorayne's "Magic Video" # 2. It's on there.
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
Hey, where did this thread come from? Smile

In any case, what's it called? Does he use a get-ready?
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Real nice DL!

Natural??? So, who's natural? We're weird magicians!

Nice little flourish and it looks like there couldn't be two cards so....
Gary D
View Profile
Loyal user
London, England
234 Posts

Profile of Gary D
Thumbs up double?!

Does look a little unnatural.
Would be a good double to do to magicians.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Dead Cool Neo!

Could you not develop this into a Stud Second Deal?
Just a thought.

With regard to naturalness, if I were the spectator seeing this, I would think you are merely making it clear to me that only only card is turned and all is fair. It looks fair to me.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
JJP161
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
509 Posts

Profile of JJP161
Quote:
On 2004-08-28 13:05, Jaz wrote:
Real nice DL!

Natural??? So, who's natural? We're weird magicians!

Nice little flourish and it looks like there couldn't be two cards so....

I think it looked really good and I like it alot. I thought it looked very magical and Jaz hit the nail on the head, we're magicians - we should look magical.

Joe
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Nice move, but does look a little un-natural. I thought magic was about looking and doing things that the layman can relate too. Anything out 0f the ordinary means something is happening.

Edh
Magic is a vanishing art.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
There's nothing natural about it!

I understand that some magi like to hide their skills and it's a good way to go for some.

On the other hand there are those who like to do flourishes because they feel it adds entertainment value.

We don't have to follow and do what every other magi writes or tells us is the right way.

Non-conformists are the ones who change the the world.
JJP161
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
509 Posts

Profile of JJP161
Nicely put Jaz.

Joe
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Is this a known Double Lift? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL