We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » New Mentalism DVD "Leading Thoughts" by Christopher Rawlins (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
C.J.Magic
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of C.J.Magic
Quote:
On Jan 5, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
Hi Chris-

I just watched the entire set again and have to say that I liked it even better the second time, if that is possible. There are some really nice routines in there and excellent thinking and routining.

Congratulations and good luck with this and all of your future projects.

Good thoughts,

Bob

Thank you. It's refreshing to know the thoughts of an icon in the field.

Magicians looking for tricks don't always have the best radar on mentalism. Until David Blaine, mentalism was thought to be one of the more boring rooms in the house of magic. Oh, the good old days!
SimonTheSorcerer
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of SimonTheSorcerer
Have to agree with mysticalsales: bought the DVD for the same reason and even I like the stuff taught, I was disappointed with "lucky lotto". My expectation was that I can hand the lottery ticket out to everyone. You need a larger audience for that effect and can't perfom it with only a few people.

So what's wrong? Expectation or ad that "lead to this thought"?!?!
Iain Moran
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
685 Posts

Profile of Iain Moran
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2015, SimonTheSorcerer wrote:
Have to agree with mysticalsales: bought the DVD for the same reason and even I like the stuff taught, I was disappointed with "lucky lotto". My expectation was that I can hand the lottery ticket out to everyone. You need a larger audience for that effect and can't perfom it with only a few people.

So what's wrong? Expectation or ad that "lead to this thought"?!?!

If you could give the ticket out to everyone, it would either be much more expensive that this DVD set, or real magic. I don't mean to be rude and perhaps it's because I've been in magic for almost 30 years, but when purchasing new products, I always read between the lines. If you want to give the ticket away at the end, you're going to pay a lot more money and work a lot harder to achieve it than this. Personally, I think this is a great method.

Iain.
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
1948 Posts

Profile of Daren
With just a little thought this can be produced from a sealed envelope inside a wallet, just change the handling slightly and adds a little more impossibility to it, that's how I am going to use it
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1869 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Anything given a good review by mastermindreader is definitely worth looking into.

I would not be interested in the lottery prediction effect, though. The obvious problem with such effects is, in the minds of the audience, if you can predict lottery numbers, why aren't you rich?

Larry Becker has stated that when asked such a question, he replies, "Well, I am." But that is unsatisfying to me. This is a problem with prediction effects, presented as predictions, in general, I think.
SimonTheSorcerer
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of SimonTheSorcerer
Good idea Daren! Thanks for that! Didn't thought of using my Nephilim Wallet for that. I can change the plot a bit now to feel more comfortable with the "lottery ticket".
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
1948 Posts

Profile of Daren
Yeah I think adds a little more impossibility to the overall effect, this is how I am going to use it going forward, great effect and once you hand them a sealed envelope they kinda fill in the rest of the routine in their head and then a no-way moment comes across their face! Killer!
carlwag
View Profile
Special user
Huddersfield ,West yorkshire
711 Posts

Profile of carlwag
I've seen Chris lecture and he is a very clever performer with some solid material, I'm sure this dvd set will be great.

Carl
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2015, Ray Haining wrote:
Anything given a good review by mastermindreader is definitely worth looking into.

I would not be interested in the lottery prediction effect, though. The obvious problem with such effects is, in the minds of the audience, if you can predict lottery numbers, why aren't you rich?

Larry Becker has stated that when asked such a question, he replies, "Well, I am." But that is unsatisfying to me. This is a problem with prediction effects, presented as predictions, in general, I think.

I agree. That's why I always present prediction effects as mental influence rather than prognostication. That pretty much rules out major predictions like lotteries, elections, world events, etc. BUT an imaginary lottery in which the audience selects the numbers is perfectly workable if you give the impression that you mentally influenced their choices.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3778 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Jamie Salinas covers this by saying he can't predict the actual lottery because the numbers are selected by a machine. Predicting the choices that people will make is a different prospect.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Harpacrown Too is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=harpacrown-too
Ophiuchus is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=ophiuchus
Totally Free Will is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=totally-free-will
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Again, I don't predict what numbers people will choose. I influence them to choose the numbers I've already selected.
dyoung
View Profile
Special user
820 Posts

Profile of dyoung
Just to throw my two cents into the mix.
I thought it was an enjoyable dvd. Perhaps not earthshattering, but enjoyable none the less.
I must also agree that the ad was perhaps a little misleading in regards to the lottery effect. I don't it really matters that much in real life, but I can understand if someone's has bought it hoping for it to be printed on a lottery ticket, might be a little disappointed. A change in the ad copy would fix this problem.
Also I found the newspaper test to be a little unimaginative, I really didn't see anything new there. That doesn't make it a bad effect, so if you don't already have a particular way of doing a newspaper test, then this could be one to consider. I think for me, the favourite piece would have to be "Flutter". Something I would definitely consider playing with.

Sincerely,
Dan
Wolfmindreader
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of Wolfmindreader
I saw Chris lecturing in Holland in november 2014. He performed some of the effects on this DVD and I really liked them.

What I do NOT like is the fact that I've bought his "Drop card" manuscript (during that lecture just 2 months ago) which was presented as a unique manuscript, a unique effect which was not/would not be published elsewhere for $ 93.00 ( € 80.00) and now I see the exact same effect on a $35.00 dvd just 2 months later.
Marc O
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
755 Posts

Profile of Marc O
Chris recently joined the Café so maybe a PM or a email would sort things out instead of going public right away.
Wolfmindreader
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of Wolfmindreader
I don't think there is anything that needs to be sorted out.
Chris has published his own routine on his DVD. It is a great routine and I do encourage everybody to try it and to use the principle.

I'm obviously not mad at Chris! It is just the fact that this expensive "Drop card" manuscript was presented as a "unique", very limited edition manuscript.
And that this one effect which is described in the manuscript was published on his new DVD just one month later.
I just feel a little disappointed, nothing more...

But guys... If you want to see some solid mentalism by a great performer; Please buy the DVD. The effects on it are absolutely worth the money.
Christopher_Rawlins
View Profile
Loyal user
North West, England.
232 Posts

Profile of Christopher_Rawlins
Hi Wolf,

I hope you are fantastic.

I just wanted to clarify.

Firstly that I am always thankful of anyone that supports my work.

Secondly, that the Drop Card effect as on the DVD is the first version of the effect, and the Manuscript that you purchased, (that is limited) includes the new method, updated handling, approaches and also my full performance script.

Alongside many other extra's that are not touched upon throughout "Leading Thought's".

As I mentioned to you, at some point my full body of work for Drop card will see print, and I will be sure that you receive a complimentary copy when the time comes.

You are in a small minority that has all the information and tools to perform the effect exactly as I do currently in all of my mentalism shows.

I hope your New Year's Eve event went well in London, and I hope to meet you again soon.

All the best,

Chris
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » New Mentalism DVD "Leading Thoughts" by Christopher Rawlins (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL