The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Why "always leave them wanting more"? (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
cafeinst
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of cafeinst
What is the reason for the general rule of show business, "always leave them wanting more"? Common sense dictates that one should give the audience everything they want until they are satisfied. Then one has maximized the audience's pleasure from one's entertainment. Of course show business isn't always common sense. So I ask why is this considered good show business?
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
A person whose needs are completely satisfied doesn't buy another ticket.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
That, plus you should leave them liking you (YOU) so much that they want to see more.

Think of it as a high-school date. You go out with somebody, play tennis. He/she beats you, but you like him/her so much that you want to go out again anyway. Or, on the other hand, you win the game, but you didn't like him/her so much that you want to go out again.

Oversimplified? Yeah. But I think it makes the point. Smile
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
They can want more even while being completely satisfied. Why would you not want more of the best experience of your life?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
cafeinst
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of cafeinst
But it is an contradiction if someone is completely satisfied, yet wants more.
Gerald Deutsch
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Gerald Deutsch
Many magicians don't know when to stop and wind up boring their audience.

Also, if a magician does "too much" the audience won't remember what he did.
cafeinst
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of cafeinst
If one does not know whether the audience has had enough, is it better to stop or to take a chance doing more?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Dec 30, 2014, Caféinst wrote:
...Common sense dictates that one should give the audience everything they want until they are satisfied...

the speed of satiety (how long does it take someone to know that they are already satisfied and don't feel a need for more) and the practicalities of servicing.
Then again sugar, fat and salt have become their own science of potato chips - and youtube cute animal clips.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Dec 30, 2014, Caféinst wrote:
But it is an contradiction if someone is completely satisfied, yet wants more.

It is only a contradiction because you are trying to make it one.

So obviously last time you had sex and were completely satisfied you will never do it again?

It is in no way a contradiction. I went to see The Who sing Quadraphenian great show. One of the best ever. I bought tickets for two days later BECAUSE I was completely satisfied. I wanted to see more.

Again you are looking for a contradiction so you find one.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Danny is an excellent showman, and I respect his opinion, and appreciate that he wants to give so much in a show. But with all due respect, the lure of something even more, another time is hard to beat when you've seen a great show.

And Danny--nice to hear of a happily married magician . . .
wwhokie1
View Profile
Special user
512 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
If you don't leave them wanting more, then they are probably just wanting you to leave.
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
The "more" that they are supposed to want "more of" is .... YOU. What YOU offer, etc. The phrase about leaving them wanting 'more', does not really imply more at that particular time, but "more" in the future. I have watched Jim Gaffigan's comedy specials over and over and always come back for 'more'.

Do what you do so well that your achieve the same affect and then you can make a decent living as a performer.
Brad Burt
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have to say this is what makes me shy away from this section. People trying so hard to find things like this to parse words when in reality it could not be more clear.

Landmark I am indeed very happily married. I am fortunate. My wife gets it. She helps produce the shows and in reality does all the administrative things that get us paid.

Beyond that she is just a wonderful person and puts up with me. That fact not withstanding she has stellar decision making capabilities.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Would you want to leave them wishing you had done less?
cafeinst
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of cafeinst
Mastermindreader,

No, but I also don't want them saying "That's it?".
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Okay, so like Danny says, it's really a matter of semantics now. I think we all get the picture.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It is semantics now landmark. Now it is about how clever one wants to try to be and parse words. It has been explained. And I might add quite succinctly by Bob.

After all if people are saying"that's it? " this is in no way the same thing as them wanting more.

If your problem is your audience saying"that's it"? you have an issue to deal with.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Dec 31, 2014, Caféinst wrote:
Mastermindreader,

No, but I also don't want them saying "That's it?".

Ah, audience feedback Smile Would that be when you signal the end of the show? after the show in the lobby? later or the next day when they describe the show to others?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I agree, it's not about holding back and baiting people, it's about giving of yourself, allowing connection, and allowing an audience to like YOU and to want to see you again. That takes courage, honesty, and vulnerability. Have a listen to what Ralph said about giving his all onstage:

http://youtu.be/ae6axi5P0tE?t=7m22s

People loved this man and, naturally, still do. And I mean to emphasize that even though his character, John Walton, is hugely popular, it's Ralph Waite we love. Only Ralph could play John the way he did. If people like YOU they will continue to come see you. You see him interchanging actor and character names- there's a very simple and key reason for that.

Posted: Jan 2, 2015 12:50 pm
Have a look here, too, if you will:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=32

Posted: Jan 2, 2015 03:27 pm
"always leave them wanting more"

Point being, there's a significant difference between leaving them "wanting", and, leaving them wanting "more".
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
A perfect explanation.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Why "always leave them wanting more"? (7 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL