The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Tenyo Book Update/End of December 2014 (28 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3..9~10~11 [Next]
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
Today we hit a milestone and reached the final page of the Tenyo book in layout. I had estimated 1,200 pages before we started, and miraculously we ended on page 1,196.

There is still much more work to be done, photos for many of the new handlings to be taken, and color correction, etc. But we're getting there!
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Congrats Richard!
stereo
View Profile
Inner circle
France - Paris
1455 Posts

Profile of stereo
Yes ! Thank you for all Richard.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Thanks for the update Richard. I'm sure it will be stellar!
Have a Happy New Year!
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
ChasVH
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of ChasVH
Great news Richard! Cant't wait! Thanks for this labor of love....

Charlie
MagiChrisMitch
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of MagiChrisMitch
This book will undoubtably keep readers busy for a very long time and what a wealth of information it's going to be for us Tenyo fans. Richard, will you personally view this as your greatest piece of work to date? A definitive YES, I'm guessing. I imagine your going to feel an enormous sense of pride and accomplishment, once your eyes first see the finished product! What an amazing moment that will be. I think you should reserve a Genii cover for yourself holding this book in hand - I mean two hands. An article overviewing of the process of making this book would be very interesting in itself. Thanks for another update and happy 2015!
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

I would never put myself on the cover of Genii!

About "Tenyo-ism," I can safely say it's the largest and most complex book I've written. Also took all the photos, so had to learn more about photography.

5 trips to Japan make it the most expensive project before even getting to the printing. The whole thing is a big big job. Whether it's my "greatest piece of work to date" is something for others to decide. My books don't have a contest with one another to see which is better; they sit quietly on the shelf.

While I'm flattered that you'd be interested, articles about the writing of books are not glamorous. You do research, then work quietly, alone, for long periods of time.
stereo
View Profile
Inner circle
France - Paris
1455 Posts

Profile of stereo
Quote:
On Dec 31, 2014, Richard Kaufman wrote:
You do research, then work quietly, alone, for long periods of time.

Yes it's exactly what I have experimented too. lol
Dallas Robbins
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of Dallas Robbins
So looking forward to this.
deanbarlow
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of deanbarlow
Hi Richard,
Do you have an anticipated release date for this book we are all waiting for?
Dean
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Update: the book is now laid out up to page 1,200. There is a third section of about 125 pages to be laid out--a surprise section unless I've spilled the beans earlier and can't remember. That should get finished this week and next.

I've brought my friend in from Japan for 10 days to pose for photos for all the additional handlings of the tricks, and that photography will take place over the course of the next two weeks. Then those photos get dropped into the boxes already waiting for them on the laid-out pages. Then the entire book goes off to Tokyo for yet another (and final) proofreading by Hiroshi Kondo and Tomoyuki Shimomura.

While they're spending a month proofreading the book, we'll be editing the three DVDs.

Then, at the end of March, the book should go to China for printing. That takes about three months. So, end of June is now looking pretty solid.

I'm printing a limited number of books because of the expense (even in China, it's expensive to print 1,300 pages in color). So, will start taking orders and payments soon to help defray the cost. I have no idea if it will be a popular book or not, but it's possible that all 1,000 will sell in a few months. Look for posts here, and when you see them I suggest ordering early just to be safe. I know there are people out there who will order multiple copies and then flip them at a higher price as soon as I run out.
tenyogal
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of tenyogal
Hi Richard,

Are you still taking orders for the Tenyo book? I was under the impression that all books had been allocated to buyers and deposits had been made....

Tenyogal
cbusch55
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of cbusch55
I believe the deluxe edition is sold out, not the regular edition.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

We will be starting sales of the regular edition later today. The ordering system will be posted on the website sometime this weekend.

Here's the info!

After two years of intensive work, we’re pleased to announce that Tenyo-ism will be available for shipping this coming June/July. The layout of almost 1,400 pages is complete and we are now in the final round of proofreading, with every detail being checked by Hiroshi Kondo and Tomoyuki Shimomura, both of whom worked in Tenyo’s Creative Division for many decades.

The books contain an entry on every trick which Tenyo has marketed outside Japan, as well as most of the tricks sold only in Japan, since 1964.

With an introduction by David Copperfield and a new essay by musician Alan Parsons, the book is divided into four main sections:

1. An overview of the history of Tenyo Shokyokusai and the origin of the Tenyo Magic Lab; and it’s growth under his son Akira Yamada into the Tenyo Company Ltd.

2. An item-by-item chronological review of virtually every Tenyo effect released since 1965, including many items sold only in Japan, such as the Plus One series and the Magician’s Selection series. Many prototypes for effects are discussed, including the original handlings for numerous Tenyo effects. There are also an enormous number of new handlings for many familiar Tenyo tricks not only by the Tenyo staff, but also by Dr. Sawa. Tom Stone, R. Paul Wilson, Dick Koornwinder, Tomas Blomberg, Dan Harlan, Michael Weber, Sebastian Clergue, Akira Fujii, Kazuyuki Hase, Angelo Carbone, Lubor Fiedler, Mark Setteducati, Shinya Ooike, Simon Corneille, Steve Vil, Yasuo Amano, Brad Henderson, Tomoaki “Billy” Masuda, Atsushi Yoshida, Kenji Shimizu, and Tenyo demonstrators Kazumasa Shimizu and Jindai Nishikawa.

3. A sampler of Tenyo’s older magic sets and tricks from the 1930s through the early 1960s, as well as many of their marketed parlor magic props.

4. An entire book-within-a-book of other magic invented by the members of Tenyo’s Creative Division, past and present: Takuya Yoshizawa, Hideo Kato, Shigeru Sugawara, Hiroshi Kondo, Tomoyuki Shimomura, Toru Suzuki, Kenichi Komiya, Takayuki Kumazawa, Takahisa Inaba, and So Sato.

Each set will consist of:
* Two 700-page books bound in fine cloth in a slipcase
* Three DVDs with all of the official Tenyo demonstration videos plus many new effects
* The props for three Tenyo tricks not sold outside Japan.

This is our own version of Kickstarter: the books are all color and must be printed in China for the best quality. It’s expensive, and as a thank you to those who preorder now and assist in the task of helping get this book published, you will have a unique opportunity to have your name included on a special page at the back of the book as a thank you for your support in advance of publication.

The price is $250
Use Visa, MasterCard, Amex, Discover, or PayPal to Order
(Send us your card number, expiration date, phone number, and signature)
Checks or money orders (in U.S. Dollars only, payable to a U.S. bank) payable to Richard Kaufman.
PayPal to: genii@geniimagazine.com
We cannot accept foreign checks that are not payable to a United States bank.
The set of books weighs 16 pounds.
For postage please add: U.S. and Canada: $50
Europe and the UK: $65
Asia and Australia: $100
(All orders will be processed through Genii)
Dallas Robbins
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Wow, exciting news! Congrats Richard on the official announcement. Will be ordering, but will need to wait a week. Hopefully it won't be sold out by then.
GeorgeG
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, CA
978 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
Just sent in my money; too bad the deluxe is sold out, but happy with any copy Smile
kwarren
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of kwarren
What are the major differences between this standard edition and the limited deluxe edition?
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

The deluxe edition is limited to 100 copies--it is signed by all the important members of the Tenyo Creative Division both retired and active, and also by Lubor Fiedler and Angelo Carbone. In addition, the deluxe edition contains (if memory serves) six additional items: three mini-magic sets sold by Tenyo only in Japan, a few more tricks, and ... the props for "See-Through Card" autographed by Shigeru Sugawara.
Dallas Robbins
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Well I couldn't help myself, just sent payment. Can't wait! Since my birthday is in June, I suspect this gift to myself might be the best birthday present I've received in years. Kudos to Richard and his team for all the work to bring this to fruition!
teevtee
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of teevtee
Congratulations.

For those of us who pre-paid months ago for the delux version is the time frame for delivery the same?
Also will we be listed on the thank you page?

Thanks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Tenyo Book Update/End of December 2014 (28 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3..9~10~11 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL