The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Birthday Card Alternative (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I really like Aronson's birthday card effect, but was wondering if there is an alternative to writing every card into a date book? I did it once, lost the book (which was bulky) and don't know if I want to write card values on 365 days again. Thanks!
The_MetalMaster
View Profile
Veteran user
Indiana
321 Posts

Profile of The_MetalMaster
I prefer to just use the chart that is downloadable on his website. Can easily fit into your wallet. Now he even has all 12 Fate charts to download as well!
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Thank you!!
civins
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland
128 Posts

Profile of civins
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
For some reason the charts there don't match up with the Birthday Card from Simply Simon. It seems to be for the effect just after it. I will use that idea to make my own chart for the birthday card. Thanks again!
The_MetalMaster
View Profile
Veteran user
Indiana
321 Posts

Quote:
On Jan 2, 2015, twistedace wrote:
For some reason the charts there don't match up with the Birthday Card from Simply Simon. It seems to be for the effect just after it. I will use that idea to make my own chart for the birthday card. Thanks again!

check this link out and look for "Calendar Card"

http://magicians.simonaronson.com/aronsonstackpage.html
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Quote:
On Jan 2, 2015, twistedace wrote:

http://simonaronson.com/Aronson%20Stack%......ance.pdf

There is a little exception (in case you do not know it already) to make a certain pattern invisible on one chart only (different to a booklet). First three even months plus 6, the last three even months minus 6. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Thanks again everyone. I have seen these, but am still going to make my own year at a glance chart based on The Birthday Card, not on the Calendar Card. Both are in Simply Simon. The Birthday Card's math is quicker and you don't have to remember to switch months.
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2537 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
A chart is nice, but if you want a book instead, try this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Leather-Birth......04D0NMC6

It's not too bulky.
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Thanks for the suggestions. I went with a small calendar book I got at a CVS. They had it conveniently located on the counter at the register.
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
I just picked up a small Brownline brand appt book from Staples. Yeah, it is 2015 as opposed to perpetual, but it was cheap and the form factor perfect. In those rare cases that February 29th comes up, I appended this to the "notes" pages to the end of the book. I use Mnemonica and found it took no time to print everything in. The book is suitable for any of Simon's birthday effects new and old--the effects in Simply Simon, as well as the new handlings in Art Decko. I do admit that the no-memorization system he recently released is clever indeed, but I am committed enough to Mnemonica that going with a memorized version is no biggie.
The_MetalMaster
View Profile
Veteran user
Indiana
321 Posts

Quote:
On Jan 27, 2015, lcwright1964 wrote:
I just picked up a small Brownline brand appt book from Staples. Yeah, it is 2015 as opposed to perpetual, but it was cheap and the form factor perfect. In those rare cases that February 29th comes up, I appended this to the "notes" pages to the end of the book. I use Mnemonica and found it took no time to print everything in. The book is suitable for any of Simon's birthday effects new and old--the effects in Simply Simon, as well as the new handlings in Art Decko. I do admit that the no-memorization system he recently released is clever indeed, but I am committed enough to Mnemonica that going with a memorized version is no biggie.

I love all of Simon's birthday effects but you just can't beat the free choice selection with Fate!
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I agree Fate is incredible but I'm a little intimidated by the multiple papers. The birthday card effect is one of my favorites and I agree that it is strongest with a mem deck.
The_MetalMaster
View Profile
Veteran user
Indiana
321 Posts

Quote:
On Jan 28, 2015, twistedace wrote:
I agree Fate is incredible but I'm a little intimidated by the multiple papers. The birthday card effect is one of my favorites and I agree that it is strongest with a mem deck.

I totally understand that. It took me a while and a lot of practice to get confident in my calculations and sorting out the charts.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
If you only would know my creation based on it using 26 outs and two memorized decks... you would think it is as easy as a piece of cake... Please do not ask, it might be in one of my further publications. Smile Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
The_MetalMaster
View Profile
Veteran user
Indiana
321 Posts

Quote:
On Jan 29, 2015, JanForster wrote:
If you only would know my creation based on it using 26 outs and two memorized decks... you would think it is as easy as a piece of cake... Please do not ask, it might be in one of my further publications. Smile Jan

sounds very interesting! I"m going to be thinking about this all night now Smile
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Quote:
On Jan 28, 2015, The_MetalMaster wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 27, 2015, lcwright1964 wrote:

I love all of Simon's birthday effects but you just can't beat the free choice selection with Fate!

In addition to providing standard one-, two-, and three-way force decks with any cards you specify, Marty Grams of Martini's Magic will put together customized stacks for the same low price. This is probably less expensive and certainly less wasteful than sacrificing four standard decks to make one "Fate" deck. I have ordered two "six-way" decks from which I will make two Fate decks--altogether USD15 including shipping. I have done likewise with Marty to get the duplicates for The Aronson Artifice and The Spectator Really Cuts to the Aces, as well as multiple Aces and Jokers for certain packet tricks.

Though I like working with my makeshift two-bank stack, I do indeed think that the original four-bank deck with complete freedom of choice is the most elegant and satisfying solution.

Les
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
I never used a special deck... if you have your MD in its original order (#1 on top of the face down deck), spread the deck face up, false shuffle it a. s.o.... then explain your spectator to do what you are showing him, dealing cards from the face down deck face up on the table into a face up pile. After you've dealt 3 cards let him continue. After he has dealt approximately 2 or 3 cards tell him to stop whenever he wants. If you handle the situation correctly he will stop somewhere the next 3 to 15 cards and hit one of your cards. And most of the time you can ask him (if you like that) where he stopped, at the last face up dealt card or the next still face down card. I like this kind of minor jazzing... Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Jan, that is a gorgeous approach. But me? the complete liberty of given a COMPLETELY FREE choice of any one of the 12 force cards makes the effort to gaff the deck well worth it.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Yes, of course, nothing wrong, but all good with it! I just like to use an ungimmicked deck which I can continue to use and the stack order is preserved as well. And I would bet even Tamariz would take my road Smile ... Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Birthday Card Alternative (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL