The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Are You Busking This New Year's Eve (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sjbrundage
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of sjbrundage
I live upstate new york so its really cold. I typically only busk during the summer and avoid the cold. Doing a good amount of shows this winter and deposits are coming in so I don't "Need" to busk... Yet a part of me "needs" to busk in order to feel right with myself. After not hitting the streets for so long I feel kinda odd. Tonight I am bunlding up and hitting the streets to rake in some hopefully huge hats. Crowds will be "MASSIVE" and walking to and from indoor events. I just need them to convince them to stop long enough to watch my show and give a good tip.

Is anyone else planning to busk tonight? : )
Mortimer Graves
View Profile
Special user
New Orleans, Louisiana, U.S.A.
556 Posts

Profile of Mortimer Graves
Probably sometime within the next 2 hours or so I'll be heading out to work it. I figure give the early risers time to get tired and make enough to be happy with, and I won't have to fight for a spot.

This is a big money day for me, usually, so there's no way I'm missing it.

If I'm lucky, I'll get to do some of my new material. Depends on what kind of people I get, really.

Not looking forward to the cold, I mean it's not like NY cold, but it's the damp kind... hurts my joints a lot. Kinda sucks that my props are all made of metal. >.< Chilly!
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds.

Hastur, Hastur, Hastur! See? Nothing hap-

...and if we rub each other the wrong way, let's try going in another direction. - Pokey the Porcupine
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
I stays inside on Amateur Night, a.k.a. New Years Eve, fer safety concerns.
Mortimer Graves
View Profile
Special user
556 Posts

Oh, don't even think I'm going to be out there when the ball drops, so to speak, either. I plan on being well asleep by midnight. No falling bullets for me!

But I'm not passing on all of the money that's out there to be made today.

...and if we rub each other the wrong way, let's try going in another direction. - Pokey the Porcupine
sjbrundage
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of sjbrundage
Lol.. Had such a disappointing night tonight! So I got out super early.... 4 hours early to avoid all the traffic and find a good spot near my pitch. I left all my magic things in the car and went to a coffee shop to relax and warm up before the big night. 15 Mins before I start performing I head back to my car to grab my magic things and get ready.....

Turns out my car was towed! Did'nt have any of my ropes, cards, Rubik's cubes, tip jar, magic sign, etc.. and plus I had to find out where my car was towed to! : ( What a sad way to start the new year. I did have my Gf pick me up and hung out with some awesome highschool friends. So the night turned out pretty well after all, but I am pretty mad I wasn't able to get any busking in.

Hey Mortimer... From Doug Conn's posts on Facebook I heard that the pitch in New Orleans is "CRAZY" busy with magicians! I have never worked down there.. but I think it would be a fun growing experience!
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1279 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
Sjbrundage, since you were there...taking the really cold weather into account, do you think busking would have been successful last night?
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
Mortimer Graves
View Profile
Special user
556 Posts

Doug is one of my best friends ever. Yeah, there are a lot of magicians here who busk, because it's harder to get regular gigs here.

And for some reason, people all seem to think it's a great place to come and busk, but it's not. It's certainly a growing experience, though. This place will either make you or break you.

Cellini used to say that NOLA was the hardest place to make a living as a busker, but that if you could make it here, you could make it anywhere. I know he was probably spot on with that, because everywhere else I've ever busked has been more profitable, and much easier to work as far as getting people to stop and watch.

A lot of people think we have the cruddiest buskers here, and in a lot of ways maybe we do, but it's the place that does it, not the people. The "Big Easy" is the hardest place I've ever had to work it, and the "City That Care Forgot" is often the city that forgets to care.

I had an okay night last night, but I made less than I ever have on any previous new year's eve. We had maybe a third as many people as we usually have, and a handful of muggings has resulted in people putting up signs warning everyone to stay in large groups and to be all afraid. How can we expect anyone to have a good time when we have propaganda telling them all to be afraid for their lives?

We used to be the murder capital of the U.S., and nobody had signs up back then.

It just makes no sense.

sjbrundage
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of sjbrundage
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2015, EVILDAN wrote:
Sjbrundage, since you were there...taking the really cold weather into account, do you think busking would have been successful last night?

Nope. Compared to Victorian Street walk the street were emtpy. I think it has to do with the face that the Victorian street walk is earlier in the year and a LOT warmer. Also the victorian streetwalk has the entire street filled with people. Most people there seemed to be just walking to and from each indoor event.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Are You Busking This New Year's Eve (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL