The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Spectators Burning the Cards (24 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
obrienmagic
View Profile
Special user
753 Posts

Profile of obrienmagic
Get them involved. Give them things to do. Ask them to hold out there hand or hand them the cards. If I notice a spectator burning my hands I usually ask them to come forward and help me. The fact that all eyes are on them will naturally make them "part of the show" so they will be less likely to try to figure you out and rather just go along with what you ask them to do. If there person is relentless there may honestly be nothing you can do if they simply want to figure you out. Which some have said in itself, "at that point it is no longer entertainment, but rather a contest. The moment it becomes a contest, the magic is lost."
Visit my online store at http://www.obrienmagic.com/magic-shop Smile
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
If the spectator(s) are focused on burning your hands, they will eventually miss other important parts of the presentation. In other words, this behavior comes with a price and the spectator will eventually have to decide to continue following your hands or look at other things that should be of interest. Important elements of your presentation could be missed if your hands are getting burned unwaveringly. You're speaking and gesturing with 2 hands and the props--they only have 2 eyes. Performing magic is not unlike teaching in a classroom. It's all about attention control. Also, it's very difficult for an individual to focus persistently on one thing for any length of time.
Anand Khalsa
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix, AZ
201 Posts

Profile of Anand Khalsa
Inigmntoya, j100taylor, IanLand, sgtgrey, Zach, Lance, RS1963, Tim, prg, Kabbalah, twistedace, kjellstrom, Vlad, obrienmagic, and Leo H, thank you SO MUCH for your wisdom, advice and humor Smile, I really do appreciate it. Vlad, I hadn't really thought about it before, but I think your absolutely right about DL's. I don't think I have given it much attention, and this was the one move I was most concerned about while being "burned". I am going to spend some time improving it. Thanks again everyone! I will definitely put all these tips and suggestions into practice!
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1198 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
One more idea. There are some killer self working effects. If someone is burning you - do one of those. There is nothing to see. The next trick they won't be burning you so bad. Mix self workers with sleight of hand. Good Luck!
Lakewood, Ohio
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
All excellent posts. A few additions: Don't start the Effect until you have at least some rapport with the spectator(s). A short intro so to speak. Maybe a lead-in to the Effect. Small talk to show them you're having fun together as you perform.

Also, I've done the "Vait a veek" (Malini) technique and it works for some, maybe most. But the other day a spectator was really burning my hands. Never looked up once. I knew she wanted to know the SECRET of how the trick was done. And her assumption was burning my hands would reveal the secret. I said, "Wow. You're really burning my hands!" She looked up, laughed, and said "Yes, I am." I did "the move" the minute she looked up. It was sweet.

Another point, if you have a rude spectator that is, let's say, too aggressive in trying to figure out how you're doing the Effect, you can just walk away. I've asked spectators to move back or to the side to help them enjoy the Magic more. When they refuse, I just tell them. "Well, I guess I'll show this to you some other day." And STICK TO MY GUNS. They give me a disappointed "I'm sorry" look. But I quit then and there. Oh, the other spectators do not like this! Also, I may or may not share that Effect some other day, depending on the individual and if I encounter them again. As my friend David Neighbors says, "You have to know WHEN to do your Magic."
TH

Occupy Your Dream
lord_wallmotto
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of lord_wallmotto
Quote:
On Jan 3, 2015, Kabbalah wrote:
If you are competent with you skills, why is this a problem?

No matter how skilled one is with a deck of cards there are many sleights or atleast get-readies for sleights which simply can not be looked at and not be seen even if most magicians are ticking themselves into believing that they are invisible. Even the most invisible classic passes will be seen if a spectator looks at it while it is executed. They might not have seen exactly what happened but that something happened atleast which can be dissmissed as "Ah, he just did something."
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Skill includes using good misdirection.

Smile
TH

Occupy Your Dream
MuscleMagic
View Profile
Special user
794 Posts

Profile of MuscleMagic
Guys there are those spectators that regardless of what you do will not stop their bs, max malini knew what you guys knew and he suggested to wait, also have a few solid tricks with you that do not involve slight of hand, math tricks, gaff cards, etc and remember, the guy burning your hands is looking for a move, fool them with a one way deck, they will stop looking and for the rest of those show try to figure out how you did it, routine to nuke the burner is simple,

do 2 self working tricks (math tricks) each time after the trick hand out the deck and produce another new deck, each time making sure casually to show its all different cards

third trick have a envelope ready with a prediction card (part of a one way deck) produce the one way deck, the burners are trying to catch moves especially after him seeing the other two decks are ok, do a simply trick have him pick a card freely offer he change it, then tell him to open the envelope using a envelope opener, he will say he don't have one, reach in your pocket, do deck switch (at this point in his mind the trick is over) and produce envelope opener, he opens it he finds card, hand him the deck,

Every magician should have a serious plan of brain attack when you encounter one of these creatures, comedians cant prepare for hecklers as well as magicians can

Last but not least, breathers can extinguish a burner real well too, learth to breath well if you know what I mean
ssibal
View Profile
Veteran user
352 Posts

Profile of ssibal
Walk up to the spectator, hold the deck right in front of their face, announce to the audience that this spectator looks like they need a closer look at your hand and deck. Proceed to talk to the audience while maintaining the deck held in front of the specific spectator's face. After about 5 minutes of talking, ask the spec if they got a good enough look. You can then retreat back to where you originally were, during this time you can make whatever move with the cards if necessary. The audience is always entertained by this.
samaroo
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of samaroo
What I've done some in the past is to do a quick motion with the cards (a fake move, if you will), and act like I just noticed them burning my hands. "Oh, you think I'm doing something fishy? Here, give them a shuffle!" I palm the card as I hand them the deck. It seems that offering them the deck usually disarms them enough that I can get away with it. If not, I'll just let them shuffle, then start a new trick. Sometimes they don't even notice I've started over.
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Quote:
On Jan 6, 2015, ssibal wrote:
Walk up to the spectator, hold the deck right in front of their face, announce to the audience that this spectator looks like they need a closer look at your hand and deck. Proceed to talk to the audience while maintaining the deck held in front of the specific spectator's face. After about 5 minutes of talking, ask the spec if they got a good enough look. You can then retreat back to where you originally were, during this time you can make whatever move with the cards if necessary. The audience is always entertained by this.

If you did this to me, the audience would be entertained by watching your eye blackening!
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1614 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
Quote:
On Jan 2, 2015, inigmntoya wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 2, 2015, W wrote:
How does one avoid the spectators incessantly burning the cards? Anything that can be done in this situation?

Look at them and ask them a question.

I only had one time in my life I did that and a kid still stare at my hands and the cards, 'cause he is a heckler.
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

https://hhpresents.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
ssibal
View Profile
Veteran user
352 Posts

Profile of ssibal
Quote:
On Jan 6, 2015, Kabbalah wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 6, 2015, ssibal wrote:

If you did this to me, the audience would be entertained by watching your eye blackening!

And doubly entertained by watching you get arrested, or worse...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Spectators Burning the Cards (24 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL