The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Jesus feeds the five-thousand (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
My mom and I (being the Sunday school teaching duo that we are) have been using magic to teach the story of Jesus and his feeding of the thousands of people for the past, I dunno, 10 years. It's always gone over great. We'd always used a change bag but this past Sunday I used a chick pan:

I took five construction paper cut-outs of bread and two cut-outs of fish. I put them in the bottom of the pan, cover it with the lid, and say a prayer and...amazingly, the pan is filled with goldfish crackers and French Toast Crunch cereal (it looks like little slices of bread). Now, the kids have a fun snack to remember the story with!

Of course, I explain the difference between Jesus' miracle and my trick. It's always gone over great! I just thought I'd share the idea with all of you!
Dalqvist
View Profile
New user
Västerĺs, Sweden
17 Posts

Profile of Dalqvist
Hi Andini!

Thanks for sharing your idea! I'll save it for the future.

God bless you!
"Worship the Lord with gladness; come before him with joyful songs." (Psalms 100:2)
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
What a great idea! That would sure be visual and effective, not to mention they would eat it up (literally) and save your clean up.

I may use that myself! (With your permission of course.)
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
Neale, you're welcome to use it anytime you'd like! I put it up to share so it's free for anyone here to use! I'm really glad you guys like it!

It is a very visual trick, especially if you can get the crackers to overflow when the lid is lifted again!

-Andy
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
And those little crackers now come in lots of colours so it makes it even more colourful!
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Nice idea. I think I may try it with my Sunday school class too.
Daniel Faith
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
The nice thing about the effect is that it can be used in almost any age group for Sunday schools. Upwards of sixth grade might find it cheesy but I performed it for all of the classes from three-year-olds to second graders and they all loved it!

It's a great way to reinforce just how much Jesus could produce from so little.
ChrisG
View Profile
Elite user
Batavia, Ohio
448 Posts

Profile of ChrisG
Andini

That's a good effect. I'm sure I'll be able to use it. Thanks.

As you said there are some age groups that might find it cheesy, however, I have found that things that play well with small children also play well with most adults.

Keep up the good work.
ChrisG
"Consensus is the negation of Leadership"

M. Thatcher
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
Chris, that's actually an interesting find. I never really thought about it but a lot of things I do for the young ones also appeals to adults (sponge balls come to mind).

It may be that you have a weird phase in kids AFTER they're kids but before they become adults. It could also be that the kids that find it cheesy are looking too much ahead, wanting badly to be adults. Whereas as adults, they'd give anything to be a kid again!

Thanks for bringing that up, Chris. It's got me thinking. Smile
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
Andini

Great idea, simple and to the point. I think I over-complicate things at times, and that doesn't play well for the kids. The KISS method is always the best.

You don't mind if we borrow from you do you???

Godspeed
Steve Smile
Illusions4Life
View Profile
Regular user
Indiana
128 Posts

Profile of Illusions4Life
Andini-

You have given me a reason to get a chick pan now. Thanks for the great application. I will use it with your permission of course.

Jim
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
Jim, you have my full and complete permission. I'm glad you like it! Smile

You're free to use it, too, Steve!
ChrisG
View Profile
Elite user
Batavia, Ohio
448 Posts

Profile of ChrisG
Andini

Have you ever thought of just using two gold fish and five pieces of French Toast Cereal to place in the bottom of the pan? Just thinking out loud.

ChrisG
"Consensus is the negation of Leadership"

M. Thatcher
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1297 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Me too!?

That is cool, I like it and would really enjoy doing it in Sunday school classes for kids at my church also.

Thanks for sharing Andini!

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
OK, this goes out to everyone:

You are all completely free to perform this effect. You have by complete permission!

I can't believe the response this generated. I'm so glad you all like the effect.

Good luck performing it!

-Andy
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1297 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Where do we send the checks, Andy?

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
davejesc
View Profile
New user
David Juraschek
83 Posts

Profile of davejesc
What a fantastic idea!

I love this stuff ...

-Dave
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
Ok...I'm bringing this thread back up in the Gospel Magic section because I have an awesome story to tell...

I just returned from a Mission Trip in Juarez, Mexico. It was the greatest week in my life! It was a very very poor city with the smallest, weakest houses you'll see in a long time. But, the people there are incredible. The children there are absolutely adorable and they are always excited to see big kids come to play. I gave lots of "Caballitos" (piggy-back rides). I didn't want to leave this morning, but I had to.

Anyway, I was working for a couple days at the "Club De Nińos" (Kids' Club), which is basically a VBS for the whole summer. I volunteered to be on the Drama Team that tells the stories. I was so surprised to see that one of the two days I was there (out of the weeks and weeks that it's gone on), the story was "Jesus Feeds the 5000." Like I knew I should, I jumped at the opportunity to do the effect. I used a simple, makeshift change bag out of paper bags and just used the Goldfish Crackers that were on hand. The kids had a snack and understood the story so well (Despite our choppy Spanish!) that it made me so happy to be able to bring my magic to this awesome ministry.

So, that's my quick testimony and I was really excited to tell you all. It just goes to show that God is cross-cultural and we should do whatever we can to bring His Word to everyone!

Gloria a Dios (Glory to God),
Andy
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Amen, and Amen again!

Now that is seizing the opportunity and using your gifts for HIs Glory!

Way to go Andini!

I know of some people who are a little too full of themselves and go on mission trips just so they can "help the needy", but they come back changed by a greater gift than they could ever give. The blessing and memory of the smiles of these children and the joy that they got from a moment of your attention, will continue to fuel your fire for a long, long time.

We who have so much, expect so much, and are so ungreatful, and those who so little, expect little, and are greatful for everything.

But I sense that you went with the right spirit and were rightly blessed by the experience. It is times like these when the saying "You can't outgive God." is so clearly demonstrated.

May God continue to honor your service, as you continue to honor Him!

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5700 Posts

Profile of Regan
Glad you brought the thread back up Andy. I love the idea with the chick pan. My wife and I teach a Sunday School Class, so I may use it if you say I may use it. May I use it?

Regan
Mister Mystery
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Jesus feeds the five-thousand (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL