The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Salem by Jim Kleefeld and Gemini Artifacts. (20 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
The Dark Cabaret
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of The Dark Cabaret
A beautifully produced piece! I got to lovingly page through one at ECSS...it's a must!
Pasteboard Alchemist
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of Pasteboard Alchemist
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2015, Mind Guerrilla wrote:
I just received "Salem" and here are my first thoughts.

Nice, helpful review, Mind Guerrilla. Thanks!
Merlinsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Daly City, CA
1560 Posts

Profile of Merlinsmagic
Saving for this & next Dopp's.......& then.....
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5941 Posts

Profile of george1953
Know the feeling, and then just gets replaced with another and then. There's always something to save for !
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1469 Posts

Profile of Darkness
It's on the list.....
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1263 Posts

Profile of reese
MG, what a good review. I disagree with your comment about the gilt lettering on the cover looking too shiny for a book from that time period though. I buy & sell books for a living. Today I bought a collection close to the time period of Salem. All had gilt lettering on the covers. They looked exactly like the aging done on the gilt cover of Salem. I have certainly seen books from that time in much worse shape. But these mirrored Salem's aging.... I have just now unwrapped Salem. How exciting!
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2661 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
Quote:
On Feb 11, 2015, reese wrote:
MG, what a good review. I disagree with your comment about the gilt lettering on the cover looking too shiny for a book from that time period though. I buy & sell books for a living. Today I bought a collection close to the time period of Salem. All had gilt lettering on the covers. They looked exactly like the aging done on the gilt cover of Salem.

It may be a case of perception vs. reality. Since you are a book expert, I will defer to your opinion based on experience. That being said, I think it's understandable how a lay person such as I (as far as antiquarian books are concerned) might be surprised to see that the gold lettering has stood the test of time so well.
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1263 Posts

Profile of reese
You're right. I did think of how a layman might perceive it vs someone experienced in seeing/handling books from that time. Ultimately, in this case, neither consideration matters. The book itself is irrelevant. It's the performer's tone & story that is the compelling aspect. Others wrongly accused saved their own skins by falsely accusing their neighbors. The specific subject that the book "Salem" points to is compelling enough. You have innocents wrongly accused, "witch-hunted", and responding by heroically being silent or speaking of the injustice. Then you have some that were actual "witches", practicing a tradition of folk-magic meant to ensure a crops health or to protect from other harm. "White magic". None that died were in league with the devil as the accusers asserted. Some of those violent deaths may have created sentient-patterns-of-trauma seeking closure. "Vengeance seeking ghosts". There's other presentations to explore. I look forward to being inspired by yours. Its' a rich vein to mine. Salem is gold for me.
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1469 Posts

Profile of Darkness
I'm officially jealous...
:)
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1263 Posts

Profile of reese
And M G, as you wisely point out in your review, why mention the publication date of the book at all? It's irrelevant. Someone may ask you after. Say what's comfortable. "The original is from the late 1600's, this is a reprint from the late 1800's I think". Or "I'm not sure. It sure seems old though". The question most likely won't come up. They'll be reeling from your story.
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2661 Posts

I neglected to mention that the text of "Salem" is extracted from "Wonders of the Invisible World" by Cotton Mather, who was born 352 years ago today.

As for the TV version, the second season of SALEM begins in April.

Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2661 Posts

I just posted a "Salem" presentation idea down in the Crypt.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=221
Merlinsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Daly City, CA
1560 Posts

Profile of Merlinsmagic
Just received my copy of Salem that Vic did a SUPER AWESOME job of aging ! Was on my way out for the day but had to post a quickie Smile VERY happy customer again with Vic & his aging talents & Gemini Artifacts !
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7035 Posts

Profile of bowers
Waiting on my copy looking forward to receiving it.
Todd
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7035 Posts

Profile of bowers
Received my book a few days ago.
I thoughly love it.There are so many
different reveals you can do with this book.
A easy to learn yet so powerful too.
Worth every penny I paid for it.
Todd
Vic Nadata
View Profile
Special user
Charlotte, NC
935 Posts

Profile of Vic Nadata
Thanks for the kind words!

SALEM (after being out of stock for a few months) is now back in stock at www.geminiartifacts.com
FJR
View Profile
Regular user
London
129 Posts

Profile of FJR
This is fantastic! Just arrived today.
The book looks fantastic, i.e. very authentic. It looks interesting and one will want to browse through a little, even to look at some of the pictures. And there's nothing suspicious to find. People could read through much of it if they wished (but obviously one is not going to allow that to happen!). The method is simplicity itself and easily memorable.

One could use it for a 'quick hit' if they wished, or create an atmospheric occasion with a presentation on the Salem witch-trials as a lead-in. I much prefer the latter atmospheric and storied route, as it would be a crime to waste such a mysterious, evocative theme, and such a creatively produced book, for a 'wham-bam thank-you mam' occasion. 'Mother' and many others are perfectly efficient, and effective, for such a thing. I particularly like that one can reveal mutiple things, and, that with a bit of acting and 'empathy with accused', one can reveal informatin in engaging ways.

I am deeply fascinated with the Salem trials and all they evoke, so for me, this is a priceless aspect of this effect - a ready-made and intriguing subject matter to invoke and to regale with. Consequently, and I own many b**k t***s, this has instantly become one of my very favourites.

Thanks to the most estimable Jim and Vic.

Now off to scour for good Salem presentation additionals...

Best,
Francis
Flaneur / Gentleman Amateur
Member of the I.B.M - Ring 25
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1812 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
I agree completely. I couldn't afford this when it first came out, but recently got a copy. To me this has all the things I liked about 1p5wich and WA with none of the shortcomings. I love the historical accuracy and look of the pictures. And of course the witch theme.
FJR
View Profile
Regular user
London
129 Posts

Profile of FJR
Here is a great historical resource for anyone presenting 'Salem' which will help add much flavour.
It has old texts, court records, a map of Salem as it was in 1692, and much more. One could create a fantastic, and educational, experience for people with the help of this site.

Thanks to Mind Guerilla who originally drew my attention to the site in an older post/thread. I though it might help some people if it were added to this thread.

http://salem.lib.virginia.edu/home.html

Best,
Francis
Flaneur / Gentleman Amateur
Member of the I.B.M - Ring 25
salcioppa
View Profile
New user
Columbus, Ohio
72 Posts

Profile of salcioppa
I guess I'm a little late to the Salem party but just received my copy from Vic at Gemini Artifacts last night and it's a gem. Spent the night reading it and the instructions and I love it. A beautiful job as always!
At a convention of mind readers, a man sees an attractive woman he'd like to meet. He walks up to her and says, "Hello! You're Susan. Who am I?"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Salem by Jim Kleefeld and Gemini Artifacts. (20 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL