The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Travelling the world, any advice? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Howard I use to live in New York.
It was so big they named it twice: New York, New York. So I moved down the road to California.

vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
JJDrew
View Profile
Loyal user
Arizona
221 Posts

Profile of JJDrew
A short-term Eurorail pass and an erasable pen can work wonders, but you didn't hear it from me. I would never do a thing like that Smile
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
Quote:
On 2004-02-10 18:21, hkwiles wrote:

Mike,
Don't want to rub it in, but Wetherby is two miles from Tadcaster (just outside York) home of John Smiths Breweries, so its the local ale round here..excuse me while I down another pint.

Howard

(RUB, RUB) Ye bastage. Drink away. I particulary like the upside down magnet design on the can, or is that right side up?

I wondered if any Brits would weigh in on their favorite bitter. Like moths to light(while I scribble down the name "Fuller's London Pride.").
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
Bottled Water!!!

We here in the States are used to water that has been sterilized, clorinated, buffered, flouridated, and shaken not stirred. Most of us have never seen real water.

As a former part-time army medic Smile, I can assure you that you need to watch what you drink, and eat. Some lucky people can go anywhere and eat or drink whatever they come across with no ill effects, while others seem to be able to look at tap water and get mild dysentary.

If you eat in upscale restaurants don't worry about the food. But until you've been there for a while, drink only bottled water. Soft drinks or alcohol are usually safe, as they have been processed, and if you should get to a place that uses ice cubes in their drinks ask for no ice. Cold only helps most bacteria last longer.

I hate to be a doomsayer, but if I hadn't had a large supply of Immodium, a couple of friends of mine would have had really uncomfortable, and very short trips overseas.

Don't get me wrong, everywhere you go, there are not germs waiting to pounce on you, but if you follow this advice you will be better off.

In ending let me recap, and add a couple of quick suggestions;

Safe to Drink: Bottled water, boiled tea, bottled soft drinks, alcohol.

Eat no raw food/ partially cooked food, sushi bars and rare steak or rare anything else out there.

Get a large supply of Immodium, and any prescription drug(s)you need.

You can have a really fun time if you take care of yourself

And last but not least, always wear good underwear just in case you get in an accident. Smile Smile Smile, As long as I am sounding like "mom", I might as well go all the way.
Have fun.

PS: Internet Cafés are big in alot of Europe, so keep us updated on your trip.

Godspeed
Steve Smile
zenmistress
View Profile
New user
London
34 Posts

Profile of zenmistress
Quote:
<<Rare steak or rare anything else are out.>>

Eh?

No fire-grilled filet on the Left Bank of the Seine?

No Carpaccio in Venice?

No rare roast beef and horseradish sauce in London?

Gosh. Is that really necessary? We are reasonably civilised in Europe in the 21st Century. Some of us have flush toilets and everything!

Only joshing. Have a great time.
hitmouse
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of hitmouse
Re: comments on quality and safety of food and water in UK/France.

Generally it is fine and so is the ice. We are not talking about sub-Saharan Africa. The sushi in London is especially fine. Anyone that travels a lot gets the runs from time to time, simply as a result of varied diet. Do not confuse this with dysentery. Just relax and enjoy the food and drink. If you don't want to enjoy it, there is a McD or Starbucks every 100m.

Re: Automatic toilets.
They have them in Cardiff too. You don't drown, you just get a bit wet if you stay in there; and before it will flush you have to open and shut the door as if leaving. I did it for a bet once.

Re: Bitter. England: Bass Worthington, Wales: Brains SA
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
Almost forgot. After you drink too much Bitter, go for a curry.

If you like Napalm hot, then order Vindaloo. I don't remember much from my curry visits (see comment on bitter), but I do remember the need to shovel it in small amounts and swallow the curry quickly. There's something nice about a beer buzz tied to the hot spice buzz of a good curry.

Also, go to one of the local kebab joints. I was never certain on the type of the meat, but it didn't matter because the kebab always hit the spot. All of this is in England of course.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
I recommend Thailand, Asia: a hot and sunny country with very friendly people. And everything is very cheap/affordable. You can get a simple room from: 3-4 dollars per night. First class hotels are also cheap from 20 dollars per night. The food is excellent and extremely cheap. Outside the cities the prices are much better Smile
It's also very safe to travel in Thailand.

http://www.tourismthailand.org/
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
A nice pair of comfortable shoes. Plus an
extra pair. You'll do alot of walking.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
A case of the runs when you are traveling on the cheap can lead to some most uncomfortable situations. Bottled water is a cheap way to help avoid this.

I have recommended the same to friends from other contries as well, when traveling in the US.

I have yet to get a case of the trots while overseas, and I have done some real bonehead stuff. While friends of mine who have been very cautious, have suffered greatly.

You may be able to travel the world, eating and drinking as you please, and never have a problem, and then again, you may drink only bottled water, and eat only at McDonalds, and get full blown dysentary. It's a crap shoot.(Upon editing, the pun was unintentional, Smile Smile )

Let's see, it's always best to err on the side of caution, if you feel you must make a mistake.

If you are going to travel, enjoy the local specialties, but travel smart.

Steve Smile
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
Zenmistress,
When did the UK get flush toilets? Smile
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
A good Walkingstick can be a real comfort, in many ways.

Steve Smile
zenmistress
View Profile
New user
London
34 Posts

Profile of zenmistress
Quote:
On 2004-02-28 09:22, sdgiu wrote:
Zenmistress
When did the UK get flush toilets Smile

I am flushed with pride to reveal, about 1870, although this is clearly nothing to get arsey about. Smile

(courtesy Thomas-crapper.com)
It is popularly thought that Mr. Crapper invented the W.C., and that the vulgar word for faeces is a derivative of his name, but neither belief is true. However, etymologists attest that the Amercian word, "crapper", for the W.C. is directly from his name. He relentlessly promoted sanitary fittings to a somewhat dirty and sceptical world and championed the 'water-waste-preventing cistern syphon' in particular. Indeed, he invented the bathroom showroom and displayed his wares in large plate glass windows at the Marlboro' Works. This caused quite a stir and it is said that ladies observing the china bowls in the windows became faint at this shocking sight!

Mr. Crapper's inventiveness was well known; he registered a number of patents, one of which was the "Disconnecting Trap" which became an essential underground drains fitting. This alone was a great leap forward in the campaign against disease. Amongst others was one for a spring-loaded loo seat which, as the encumbent arose, leapt up pulling rods which automatically flushed the cistern!

So der!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Travelling the world, any advice? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL