The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Close up Card Magic of Harry Lorayne (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Hannes
View Profile
New user
Germany
83 Posts

Profile of Hannes
Hi,
i recently bought Harry Lorayne's close up card magic book.
Now I'm interested in what you are thinking about this book.
What are in your opinion the best routines?
Which routines do you use?
What are you thinking about Lorayne's style writing this book..?
The book was written in 1976, is it still "up-to-date"? Or do you solve some card problems in a complete other way?
waiting for your posts
Hannes
JBmagic
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
110 Posts

Profile of JBmagic
I personally consider it his best work ever.
There is a routine called STOP that absolutely stuns them. There's his poker deal and his lazy mans card trick that rock as well.
All in all I don't think there is a bad routine in the book.
Knowing what I know about the book, I'd pay 15 - 20 times the cost.
Jay Buchanan
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6251 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Ditto. I do the Lazy Man's Card trick more times than I can to imagine. I love tricks that let you free-form the ending. STOP is a killer effect. It's not 100% accurate, but with a little practice you'll be right most of the time. There's a lot of good stuff in this book so read it and try everything out before you get burned by someone else trying this stuff on you.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
gmartins
View Profile
New user
Portugal
88 Posts

Profile of gmartins
The stop trick is brilliant! It's one of those self-working miracles, where you relax and enjoy. Yes, it could fail, but with the right attitude you can't miss.
Enjoy the book, it's great!
Gonçalo Martins
Mark Ennis
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC
1030 Posts

Profile of Mark Ennis
I believe it is the most commercial magic book for close up card magic ever written. My 2 favorite effects are "Coincidentally Yours" and "Big fella, Little Fella" (which is really a Walter Gibson effect).

You definitely got your money's worth with this book.
ME
dchung
View Profile
Special user
Montreal
616 Posts

Profile of dchung
One of my favorite tricks is the Sloppy Card Trick. That gets them every time. Even my magician friends fall for it, well those who don't have the book themselves.
CWilcox
View Profile
New user
California
70 Posts

Profile of CWilcox
The Lazy Man's Card Trick is not Lorayne's, but rather Al Koran's. (He is credited in the Lorayne book, in fact.) I believe it also appeared somewhere in Royal Road.

I don't think I have to say "correct me if I'm wrong," as surely somebody will.

CW
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
You're right, CW. According to Kirk Charles in his new book "Marked for Life," the Lazy Man's Card Trick was invented by Jack Miller and merely associated with Al Koran.
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
CWilcox
View Profile
New user
California
70 Posts

Profile of CWilcox
That's interesting, Dennis. Does Mr. Charles cite any sources connecting it to Miller?

(Miller's name in association with the trick sounds vaguely familiar, but I don't recall hearing about any specific references.)

CW
MattSedlak
View Profile
Regular user
162 Posts

Profile of MattSedlak
I never felt that Close Up Card Magic was as great of a book that everyone makes it out to be. There are a few good ideas in there for impromptu sessions and magicians but as far as commercial magic I think that there are many books that provide a better value. That being said I still think it is a book that should be in everybodies library.
iSawThat
View Profile
Regular user
The Ivory Tower
188 Posts

Profile of iSawThat
Where's a good place online where I can get this book?
Mark Ennis
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC
1030 Posts

Profile of Mark Ennis
Any good magic dealer should have the book. Start with Denny and Lee. It is also very reasonably priced.

http://www.dennymagic.com/cgi-bin/hazel.......m=001158
ME
zoneinfinite
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of zoneinfinite
Hi,

You can get it at http://www.dennymagic.com
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4395 Posts

Profile of Paul
The Lazy Man's Card Trick is also described in one of the Koran books, (but not Professional Presentations, I checked). Maybe someone can check if there is a credit there to anyone else, in either Koran's Legacy or the later book published by Martin Breese.

Saw Rich Bloch doing it at a convention the other year, a funny presentation but unfortunately, and unusually, he had to have the spectator cut the cards what seemed like 20 times! lol.

Hey Mark, I'm a good dealer but I don't stock it! lol.

Paul
Mark Ennis
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC
1030 Posts

Profile of Mark Ennis
Paul,

The second half of my message must have gotten cut of. It should have also read

"...however if you only want to perform the best in packet magic, look no further than Paul Hallas' superb line of modern packet effects."

I apologize for this oversight !!!

Smile
ME
Hannes
View Profile
New user
Germany
83 Posts

Profile of Hannes
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
To CW,

In regards to the origin of Lazy Man's Card Trick from CUCM, Kirk Charles does not explain or substantiate his claim. The entire quote is:

"In reality the trick was invented by Jack Miller and merely associated with Koran."
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
CWilcox
View Profile
New user
California
70 Posts

Profile of CWilcox
Thanks for checking, Dennis!

If you're interested, I found the Miller reference.

In an old article, Jon Racherbaumer writes that the Lazy Man's Card Trick is credited to Jack Miller and Al Koran.

The source given is "50 Tricks" (1946) by Rufus Steele, where the principle is credited to Miller. (See "That Number Down" on page 34.)

The Kirk Charles quote sums it up nicely.

Another fun bit of trivia:
"Stop!" from CUCM apparently appeared in the same Steele book.

Chris
John Clarkson
View Profile
Special user
Santa Barbara, CA
749 Posts

Profile of John Clarkson
Quote:
On 2002-06-18 15:55, Hannes wrote:
Hi,
i recently bought hary loraynes close up card magic book.
Now i'm interessted in what you are thinking about this book.
what are in your opinion the best routines ?
Which routines do you use?
What are you thinking about lorynes style wrting this book..?
The book was written in 1976, is it still "up-to-date"? Or do you solve some card problems in a complete other way?
waiting for your posts
Hannes

This post really made me think! Sometimes "heavy duty real-work card workers" disparage Lorayne, and I found myself developing a condescending attitude about him. After I read your post, I pulled his books off my shelf and looked through them again.

Here are my observations:

(1) I still don't much like the way he writes. I'd prefer a more concise description, rather than the "chatty approach" he uses.

(2) I think he doesn't do a very good job of giving credit, but I think he tries.

(3) The effects... well, most of them are incredibly commercial... laymen love them! And, they are not especially difficult to perform.

You asked which ones we liked from "Close Up Card Magic". I had noted (from the 1970s) in the table of contents the ones I liked then. I still like them:
(a) Out of this Universe
(b) Apex Ace
(c) Lorayne's Poker Deal
(d) Personally Yours
(e) Challenge Aces
(f) Spririt Writes (I like this one because it leaves my business card with them!)

Smile
John D. Clarkson, S.O.B. (Sacred Omphaloskeptic Brotherhood)
Cozener

"There is nothing more important to a magician than keeping secrets. Probably because so many of them are Gay."
—Peggy, from King of the Hill (Sleight of Hank)
Rodney Massey
View Profile
Loyal user
pickering, ontario
231 Posts

Profile of Rodney Massey
Close- up Card Magic has been on my shelf for almost 20 years... and im only 28!
I will never part with it.
Try these effects: This is Mindreading?, Fourtitude {you'll fool yourself}, Sam-ultaneous, The moving Pencil, Mated, Vernon's Aces.
those are killers... and thats only the beginning! This book is loaded with commercial killers. Its one of those books that you'll go through and get 1 or 2 things out of and then put it away.That's okay, give it time. This book will be coming off your shelf for the rest of your life!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Close up Card Magic of Harry Lorayne (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL