The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Unusual Half Dollar Gaff (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MERose
View Profile
New user
Maryland
53 Posts

Profile of MERose
In a different post I mentioned I recently bought an old magic collection with some Pressley Guitar gaffs. There is another gaffed coin set that was in the collection (pretty sure it is NOT Pressley Guitar) that I am trying to figure out what it's for. The set is 3 pieces, a Half Dollar Shell, a tight fitting insert that completes the Half Dollar (kind of like a Scotch & Soda but the inside of the insert has no copper coin or anything). This insert requires a Bang Ring to remove. And the third piece is another insert that is loose fitting, it can drop right out. So basically when either insert is in place you can show the coin as a complete Half Dollar but it can only be handled by a spectator when the tight fitting insert is in place. Any ideas what the set was meant to be used for? It kind of reminds me of John Murray's trick "The Mark" but that set had two shells and one insert (along with the key chain fob), so this set is not quite the same.

Mike Rose
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2683 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I had something like that and can't remember what or who... Now I want to know.
MERose
View Profile
New user
Maryland
53 Posts

Profile of MERose
Hopefully someone will chime in with the answer, Tom G.

Mike
chasesummers20
View Profile
New user
Kansas City
57 Posts

Profile of chasesummers20
I could think of a few things to do with that. I have an old cheap scotch and soda that was getting loose so I just stretched it all the way so it's like a sun and moon coin. I wish I could tighten it back up sometimes. So to have the option of locking or sliding would be cool. The copper side of my insert is the difference tho. I'm sure you will come up with some uses for it.
MERose
View Profile
New user
Maryland
53 Posts

Profile of MERose
I was thinking that maybe there is a missing piece. Perhaps there was also another shell, but not sure. Since this was in with a collection I bought there is no guarantee that the set is complete. So it remains a mystery.

Mike
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2019 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
So maybe it is an incomplete set of The Mark?
MERose
View Profile
New user
Maryland
53 Posts

Profile of MERose
No, I don't think so. The Mark only had one insert, it came with two different size shells so the insert could be loose in one and tight in the other. The mystery is why there are two different size inserts with this set.

Mike
chasesummers20
View Profile
New user
Kansas City
57 Posts

Profile of chasesummers20
Quote:
On Jan 9, 2015, inigmntoya wrote:
So maybe it is an incomplete set of The Mark?


He said in his post it is not The Mark. Just saying. Much love inigmntoya
kcquinn50
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of kcquinn50
Mike, Have you tried the shell with normal half dollar? Is it expanded? Is it shimmed? The loose fitting insert must be a milled half. Sounds like you have pieces but maybe not a set.
Kelvin
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2019 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2015, chasesummers20 wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 9, 2015, inigmntoya wrote:
So maybe it is an incomplete set of The Mark?


He said in his post it is not The Mark. Just saying. Much love inigmntoya


I know what he said, I was merely suggesting that if it's parts of an incomplete set, it could be parts from The Mark after all.
The extra insert might be from something else, unless there was some reason to believe all those parts "belonged" together.
MERose
View Profile
New user
Maryland
53 Posts

Profile of MERose
I haven't tried to see if the shell will fit an ungimmicked Half Dollar. But my feeling is it won't, but I'll check.

Mike
chasesummers20
View Profile
New user
Kansas City
57 Posts

Profile of chasesummers20
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2015, inigmntoya wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2015, chasesummers20 wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 9, 2015, inigmntoya wrote:
So maybe it is an incomplete set of The Mark?


He said in his post it is not The Mark. Just saying. Much love inigmntoya


I know what he said, I was merely suggesting that if it's parts of an incomplete set, it could be parts from The Mark after all.
The extra insert might be from something else, unless there was some reason to believe all those parts "belonged" together.



Well he did call it a set 4 times. Usually all the parts in a SET belong together. I thought that's what a set was. Maybe I'm the only one.Just saying, much love bud. Plus he already suggested the mark. I guess I just read it more thoroughly. No problem it's not that big of a deal.
MERose
View Profile
New user
Maryland
53 Posts

Profile of MERose
You guys obviously read my posts more thoroughly than I write them! No worries guys, all comments are good and spark thought on the subject. I appreciate everything everyone contributes. That's why I'm here.

Thanks!

Mike
chasesummers20
View Profile
New user
Kansas City
57 Posts

Profile of chasesummers20
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2015, chasesummers20 wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2015, inigmntoya wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2015, chasesummers20 wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 9, 2015, inigmntoya wrote:
So maybe it is an incomplete set of The Mark?


He said in his post it is not The Mark. Just saying. Much love inigmntoya


I know what he said, I was merely suggesting that if it's parts of an incomplete set, it could be parts from The Mark after all.
The extra insert might be from something else, unless there was some reason to believe all those parts "belonged" together.



Well he did call it a set 4 times. Usually all the parts in a SET belong together. I thought that's what a set was. Maybe I'm the only one.Just saying, much love bud. Plus he already suggested the mark. I guess I just read it more thoroughly. No problem it's not that big of a deal.



Im sorry, I was having a bad day. Please forgive me inigmntoya.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2019 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
No worries
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Unusual Half Dollar Gaff (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL