The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Will Seattle Win? (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17612 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
That's not going to happen. The rules state that this violation can be punished with a $25,000 fine and the loss of a draft choice. Apparently, though, individual fines or suspensions could be imposed on any players or staff directly involved.

But even the Colts have acknowledged that the under-inflated balls had little to do with the loss.

The question is why the Patriots felt the need to cheat in the first place and if this sort of thing has been going on all season.

There was probably no way of knowing which way this game would go BEFORE they deflated the balls, unless they were good mentalists. So IMHO the result of the game makes no difference since this was done before the game was over. Think, POINT SPREAD and what this would mean to Vegas odds makers????
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
The Colts were beaten so badly in the second half (when the under-inflated balls were out of play) that I seriously doubt that the point spread would have been effected.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
How hard is it for a QB to deflate a football while he handles it before a play? I mean, I know baseball pitchers can use emery boards to scuff a ball. Would a QB be able to surreptitiously deflate a ball quickly? Like maybe quickly press a thumbtack into a ball to make a little hole for air to escape out of?
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2015, balducci wrote:
How hard is it for a QB to deflate a football while he handles it before a play? I mean, I know baseball pitchers can use emery boards to scuff a ball. Would a QB be able to surreptitiously deflate a ball quickly? Like maybe quickly press a thumbtack into a ball to make a little hole for air to escape out of?

NO.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2015 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
If you were in charge and there was suspicion that the PATS were doing something sneaky, why not check the balls RIGHT before the game begins.
IMHO, leaving the window of opportunity open was stupid and IT COULD HAVE BEEN PREVENTED this game.
Should have balls been tampered with.
OF COURSE NOT, but the NFL had some "intel" and waited TOO LONG.
BTW, the funniest line I heard to penalize the Patriots was......
LET ELI MANNING PLAY QB for SEATTLE.
innermind
View Profile
Regular user
suburban Detroit
154 Posts

Profile of innermind
Can the cold weather have an effect on the performance/reliability of a PSI gauge?

Even if the cold weather can affect the gauge, the suspicious thing is that it was 11 of 12 balls. One might think if it would have been all 12 balls, then an argument could be made for a faulty/poorly calibrated PSI gauge. But since one of the balls was fine, a faulty gauge is most likely not the problem.

The weird thing about the entire situation is that generally, two officials touch the ball on each play! If they couldn't tell the difference by touch during the game, then tough rocks. It's the officials mistake/problem for not noticing any alleged difference in the balls during the game.

If the Colts players felt a difference, then why didn't they tell the officials about it immediately?

David
"Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else." -Will Rogers
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
"In light of the ball deflation scandal currently consuming the New England Patriots, football data analyst Warren Sharp looked at the Patriots’ recent fumble statistics and found some startling results."

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/spo......les.html

http://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/blo......ossible/
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17612 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Jan 24, 2015, balducci wrote:
"In light of the ball deflation scandal currently consuming the New England Patriots, football data analyst Warren Sharp looked at the Patriots’ recent fumble statistics and found some startling results."

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/spo......les.html

http://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/blo......ossible/

The most interesting thing I've read in a long time!!!!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On Jan 23, 2015, innermind wrote:
It's the officials mistake/problem for not noticing any alleged difference in the balls during the game.

So are you saying that cheating is the official's fault if they don't detect it?

And, as has been noted, since the balls supplied by the Colts all met specifications, does that mean that the weather conditions were different on their side of the field?

I think the article on fumble statistics that balducci posted about may go directly to the heart of what's been going on since 2007. The present incident doesn't seem to be a simple one-off.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Jan 24, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
It's the officials mistake/problem for not noticing any alleged difference in the balls during the game.

So are you saying that cheating is the official's fault if they don't detect it?

Duh.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17612 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Jan 24, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:

And, as has been noted, since the balls supplied by the Colts all met specifications, does that mean that the weather conditions were different on their side of the field?

I think the article on fumble statistics that balducci posted about may go directly to the heart of what's been going on since 2007. The present incident doesn't seem to be a simple one-off.

BOB's logic is right on here ... It wasn't the weather....
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3008 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Here's how far Pats fans will go to circle the wagons: on some comment boards, they've maintained that the deflation caused by the weather (sigh) resulted in Colts balls achieving regulation pressure, which therefore means that the Colts are the cheaters since they obviously overinflated their balls. Seriously, you can't make this stuff up.

Oh, and the answer to the thread question is "yes." Go Hawks!
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
Ok OK, lets stop living in the past here. That was almost two weeks ago Smile

Go Patriots!
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Only two more days, Tommy! I wish you the best of luck ... but my prediction is that the Seahawks will win.

On a side note, I had a strange dream last night in which the final score was Seattle 18, New England 15.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
I'd be happy if niether team won.
16 hours of tie ball finally decided by a coin flip and the coin disappears, no wait, was judged to be underinflated and therefore bogus like the game itself.
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2015 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
Well, the game was over. Can that guy show the last play was the best one to call?
IMHO, SF was the best team last year, but once they were 5 yards away, GORE never touched the ball and
the last play was a throw to short WR!

A couple key pointers I feel made the difference.
First, benching the CB and putting in Butler.
Second, putting Browner on the tall WR
Getting back to DG:

The only time we can be fairly certain Tom Brady threw with an underinflated ball was the first half of the last game he played. Check the stats. Brady went 11 for 21 (52% completion percentage) for 95 yards, one INT, and one TD in the 1st half. In the 2nd half, Brady had the properly inflated ball and went 12 for 14 (85.7% completion percentage) for 131 yards and two TDs. So if you go with the under inflated ball theory and apply it consistently to fumbling and passing, it just doesn't hold up.

So given Rodgers remarks about over-inflating the ball, which is it inflated or deflated that helps? Because the last 4 years - the Packers even with the back-up QBs, still edge the Patriots, and thus makes this whole argument stupid. And if Rodgers didn't miss the time - they would be "off the charts"
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

The point of the under-inflated ball theory is that the Patriot's fumble rate dropped amazingly since the rule, which was pushed by Brady, was put into place several years ago allowing teams to supply their own balls for offense.

It's easier for a player to hold on tightly to a ball that's under-inflated. It's got nothing to do with passing.

Prior to the rule change in 2006, or thereabouts, the Patriots fumble and turnover rate was about average. AFTER the rule change, they suddenly had the lowest fumble/turnover rate BY FAR in the NFL.

Coincidence?

I think not.

So we may not be talking about a team that cheated in the first half in their last game against the Packers, but about a team that may have been cheating continuously for the past eight years.
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2015 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
And it is not a coincidence that if you do fumble, you get benched.
Perhaps there s/b an analysis on Ridley while in college vs with the PATS.
And in those past 8 years, only one player who got an INT noticed something different?
The other point is if the NFL had "intel", all the refs needed to do is check the balls 5 minutes before
the game started and the integrity of at least that game would not be under scrutiny.
The refs touch the ball every play and Howie Long's son had some interesting points.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Will Seattle Win? (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL