The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Best ways to respond to inevitable audience questions? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
iceberg707
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of iceberg707
Howdy all, I am rather new to magic but have been dedicated quite a bit of time to learning some basic sleights, purchased a few effects, watched a few DvDs and have begun doing some basic performances for some friends. I do have a questions that isn't really covered to my knowledge and that is how to respond to the inevitable "how did you do that?". Of course I could use the cliche "magic" but that seems to bring the excitement level of the trick down quite a few notches which is something I would like to avoid if another phrase or phrases better suit this question.

Another phrase I have trouble with is: "Do it again", with some tricks this isn't a huge problem but with others it creates a pretty big problem if the trick can be deconstructed or reverse engineered when repeated, or worse is requires some type of force.

The final phrase is: "let me see that" which of course isn't a problem if I am only using sleight of hand but if I am using a duplicate card or a gimmick I can't let them examine the item.

The best response I have come up with is to transition into another trick but obviously I cannot keep doing this! Thanks for the help!
David Fillary
View Profile
Special user
658 Posts

Profile of David Fillary
Slydini line: I don't even know myself

Try using the search function or google with magic Café to find answers for this. There has been much written already on this in the Café.

You're right with the transition to another trick.
Eventually you will learn to mark the end of your performance. When you do this, the audience will feel it is over, and are less likely to ask this.

Hope this helps.
iceberg707
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of iceberg707
Not to sound ignorant but I did a bit of research into the topic and couldn't find many answers to the second two questions. I am sure there has been plenty written on the subject, however since its not a very concrete topic there really aren't any keywords for me to search. For example if I was looking into a specific trick or move its easy to use the proper noun as the keyword but I don't see a keyword to even search for in this situation.

Cheers!
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1310 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
How did you do that? really well thank you for asking

Do it again? or see something better/ Nah I ve seen it twice. if they kind of hint about knowing magicians not doing the same trick twice use the 'once is a trick, twice is a lesson'

can I see that? Hold it out as they reach snatch it away and say 'you see with your eyes'/ No, do you know people don't wash there hands 1 in 3 times going to the toilet.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Szymon Krzysztoszek
View Profile
New user
Warsaw, Poland
78 Posts

Profile of Szymon Krzysztoszek
That line with hands is awesome xd I will use it.

How did you do that? I don't know, just happened. don't worry, fooled me either
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
If they ask you to do it again you could do the same effect but using a different method so they can't backtrack.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
You are discovering that there is more to being a magician, than doing a few tricks!
I quote S.H. Sharpe: "Those who think that magic consists of doing tricks,are strangers to magic. Tricks are only the crude residue rom which the lifeblood of magic has been drained."

Audience management is a much needed skill!

You've gotten some very good "responses" to your posr.

Another I use when asked to repeat (I'm not asked that very often, as, I'm already into another trick) is "A joke isn't funny the second time it's told! George '53 has given you a very practical answer. (Proverb: The rabbit always has at least two entrances/exits to his burrow!)

There are all kinds of ways to respond to: "How did you do that?" Some "stock responses" are a bit "too much". I like the Slydini line that David mentioned above.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Bill Thompson
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
422 Posts

Profile of Bill Thompson
When I do stuff for my friends and co-workers, I hear this occasionally, not as much any more though. These are the kind of responses you get from people who are very familiar with you. With those who know my sense of humor, When asked how I did a trick I will ask them in a stage whisper if they can keep a secret, when they respond in the affirmative I say, "so can I." I use some of the other stock responses above as well... Once they realize you aren't going to tell you don't get it from them that much... occasionally one might test me every now and then, but it is all jokey now.

Your family and close friends are the ones who can get overly grabby. They might even break a delicate prop, not knowing any better. This too can be controlled. If at all possible use examinable props, where them getting to hold or use the prop is routined into the presentation, Ungimmicked card effects where the spectator gets to hold or shuffle cards, or they think they have seen the props because thy got to hold one or two items but not the dirty one (linking rings for example) (another example is the new handling of NFW on penguin magic's demo video for it. Spectator has two of the cards in thier hand you have the dirty thing in yours). Rope tricks are great because you let them hold and test the rope before the trick. If you use things that they can't examine and they ask to, just tell them no... and mean it. If they don't or refuse to follow the rules after you have made it clear that snatching and grabbing for props that you haven't freely offered to them is a no-no then don't perform for them.
"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment.
Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven." - Chuang Tse
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Yes!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Taterini
View Profile
Special user
604 Posts

Profile of Taterini
What is your reply when you do a change type effect (not with cards) and the next thing out of their mouth is, "Change it back." ??
I just usually say something along the lines of, "It doesn't work that way." and play it off....
Any suggestions?
Bill Thompson
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
422 Posts

Profile of Bill Thompson
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2015, Taterini wrote:
What is your reply when you do a change type effect (not with cards) and the next thing out of their mouth is, "Change it back." ??
I just usually say something along the lines of, "It doesn't work that way." and play it off....
Any suggestions?


Whatever works for you... but, when you get to the point that aren't just showing tricks but are using or creating routines for your tricks in an act then you can routine these questions out or actually have then answered as part of the routine. The spectator [s]won't[/s]... [s]shouldn't[/s]... MOST LIKELY will not ask a question that is answered or doesn't make any sense to ask.
"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment.
Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven." - Chuang Tse
Taterini
View Profile
Special user
604 Posts

Profile of Taterini
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2015, misterbill wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2015, Taterini wrote:
What is your reply when you do a change type effect (not with cards) and the next thing out of their mouth is, "Change it back." ??
I just usually say something along the lines of, "It doesn't work that way." and play it off....
Any suggestions?


Whatever works for you... but, when you get to the point that aren't just showing tricks but are using or creating routines for your tricks in an act then you can routine these questions out or actually have then answered as part of the routine. The spectator [s]won't[/s]... [s]shouldn't[/s]... MOST LIKELY will not ask a question that is answered or doesn't make any sense to ask.


Just to sit the record straight I've been doing this stuff since, most likely, before you were born.
So for a little more detail of the situation....
I ran into a heckler the other night and was looking around here on the forum for related topics.
As for "just showing tricks", routines are always preferable but sometimes something quick is what better fits the situation.
The question was primarily in regard to SLR Souvenir Linking Rubber Bands by Paul Harris. As for the routine, I had worked through CMH and then a vanish of one of the bands and then went into SLR. When the bands were shown linked and handed out to a spectator one guy in the group pipes up and says, "Change them back..."
So I'm not sure how your reply was meant to be an answer to a simple question about a reply to a heckler ?

If anyone has a constructive solution to this particular situation I would appreciate your ideas and input.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
If I were to get that sort of response (Change it back)I think I would smile, look directly at him, and say, "For special requests, I charge $500. --And if it doesn't work, there are no refunds!"

I doubt that he will offer you $500. (Not too many people carry $500 in their pocket!)

Did you ever get that silk knot thing that we talked about last year, working?
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Bill Thompson
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
422 Posts

Profile of Bill Thompson
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2015, Taterini wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2015, misterbill wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2015, Taterini wrote:
What is your reply when you do a change type effect (not with cards) and the next thing out of their mouth is, "Change it back." ??
I just usually say something along the lines of, "It doesn't work that way." and play it off....
Any suggestions?


Whatever works for you... but, when you get to the point that aren't just showing tricks but are using or creating routines for your tricks in an act then you can routine these questions out or actually have then answered as part of the routine. The spectator [s]won't[/s]... [s]shouldn't[/s]... MOST LIKELY will not ask a question that is answered or doesn't make any sense to ask.


Just to sit the record straight I've been doing this stuff since, most likely, before you were born.


My bad. Since I am only 45 years I won't bother you again...

Quote:
So I'm not sure how your reply was meant to be an answer to a simple question about a reply to a heckler ?

If anyone has a constructive solution to this particular situation I would appreciate your ideas and input.


First of all, I had no idea what your routine even was you never told us, second it /is/ constructive to think about what questions a spectator might ask and try to answer them as part of the routine. Further more all audience interatacion isn't mean natured heckling, if the audience is actively engaged, they want to ask questions.

Have a good day, sir.
"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment.
Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven." - Chuang Tse
Remillard
View Profile
New user
Mississauga, On
84 Posts

Profile of Remillard
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2015, Taterini wrote:

The question was primarily in regard to SLR Souvenir Linking Rubber Bands by Paul Harris. As for the routine, I had worked through CMH and then a vanish of one of the bands and then went into SLR. When the bands were shown linked and handed out to a spectator one guy in the group pipes up and says, "Change them back..."


Just say "I haven't learned that part yet."
Lee Stan
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Lee Stan
"how did you do that?"
If I told you it would ruin the trick.

"Do it again"
It would ruin the trick.
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
939 Posts

Profile of Aus
Personally I have a few opinions on this. Firstly is my questioning of your tendency to perform for people that make these sort of demands, to me it seems that not only your audience management needs work but also your judgement as well. People who demand repeats and propose challenges are simply interested in working your tricks out and busting your balls and simply continuing to perform for these types of people is simply asking for trouble.

If on the other hand you find this sort of thing happening with the majority of people you perform for and not just a select group then there are a few other things to consider.

Firstly consider the tricks you perform and shine a spotlight on them to see of any of these requests can be preempted. In my opinion particular tricks elect particular responses, if I make a coin vanish I would come to expect a response like "where did it go?" or "bring it back", if I did and T&R card I would expect a request for examination. If the method employed would prevent me doing any of these things then I would question if the version of the trick I'm using is the best for this effect.

Secondly I would see if I could develop conditions in performance real or not to see if you can counteract some of the natural thoughts that are being reflected by your audience. If I have a gaffed packet trick that can't be examined then I would set the same cards up with an ungaffed set and switch out for the gaffs after the ungaffed cards had been examined.

Also another aspect is your performing style, if you have a smart ass catch me if your can approach then I would say that your bringing a lot of the trouble on yourself and I would also say that indulging some requests and ignoring others is an inconsistency that wont go unnoticed and will only get picked up on. In my opinion decide on ether repeating all effects when asked or none at all, unless of course the trick itself has a natural repetition build into it.

Magically

Aus
Bill Thompson
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
422 Posts

Profile of Bill Thompson
Quote:
On Jan 18, 2015, Aus wrote:
Personally I have a few opinions on this. Firstly is my questioning of your tendency to perform for people that make these sort of demands, to me it seems that not only your audience management needs work but also your judgement as well. People who demand repeats and propose challenges are simply interested in working your tricks out and busting your balls and simply continuing to perform for these types of people is simply asking for trouble.


I used to have this happen with close friends and family but not seriously any more...

Quote:
If on the other hand you find this sort of thing happening with the majority of people you perform for and not just a select group then there are a few other things to consider.


Agreed!

Quote:
Firstly consider the tricks you perform and shine a spotlight on them to see of any of these requests can be preempted. In my opinion particular tricks elect particular responses, if I make a coin vanish I would come to expect a response like "where did it go?" or "bring it back", if I did and T&R card I would expect a request for examination. If the method employed would prevent me doing any of these things then I would question if the version of the trick I'm using is the best for this effect.

Secondly I would see if I could develop conditions in performance real or not to see if you can counteract some of the natural thoughts that are being reflected by your audience. If I have a gaffed packet trick that can't be examined then I would set the same cards up with an ungaffed set and switch out for the gaffs after the ungaffed cards had been examined.


This is exactly what I meant by answering using the routine to answer the questions or making so it would be senseless to ask the question. YOu can have something vanish and have it return as part of the next trick. You can have something examined as part of the routine. you can use ungaffed props. There are a multitude of methods. If something is altered into something impossible and given away as a souvenir, and some wiseguy asks you change it back, you can say that would ruin her souvenir, how can she prove what I did if I change it back... That question really shouldn't be asked except by someone jealous such as a boyfriend I wouldn't imagine.

Quote:
Also another aspect is your performing style, if you have a smart ass catch me if your can approach then I would say that your bringing a lot of the trouble on yourself and I would also say that indulging some requests and ignoring others is an inconsistency that wont go unnoticed and will only get picked up on. In my opinion decide on ether repeating all effects when asked or none at all, unless of course the trick itself has a natural repetition build into it.


You understand, Aus. Thanks for your response, perhaps it is worded better than mine and can be understood better.
"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment.
Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven." - Chuang Tse
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi AUS!

I picked up a line for the "Where did it go?" I can't remember where I found it!

Answer to the "?" >>> "It went the same place your lap goes when you stand up1" <<<

It's silly, but, it has "worked" for me!


BTW Today, Jan. 18 in your post at 0937 you "did it"!!! In your last paragraph,you out did CHARLIE MILLER!!! Charlie was always proud of his ability to use a preposition to end a sentence WITH! In your last paragraph,you wrote "picked UP ON!
Hee HEE!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
939 Posts

Profile of Aus
Dick I'm going to have to borrow that line. Smile

Magically

Aus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Best ways to respond to inevitable audience questions? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL