We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Is Aronson's UnDo Influence control ever done with just one card? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
See Ed Marlo's Camouflage Control and Cam-Incidence in The Unexpected Card Book, pp. 144-148.

Never understood why Aronson didn't cite this.

Also see Richard Goldshot's RG Location and No Looking Goody Goody in Lorayne's Apocalypse ~ Vol. 7 No.9 September 1984. Also in the red bound volume, pp. 987-988.
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On Jan 24, 2015, Phil J. wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2015, J-L Sparrow wrote:
A few days ago I got to read Simon Aronson's book Try the Impossible for the first time. Since I had heard a lot of good things about his UnDo Influence control, I eagerly read and practiced the first trick, Prior Commitment. Even though I haven't performed it yet, it does seem impressive.

It's a brilliant trick. Graham Jolley used it to fool Penn & Teller on P&T, Fool Us.

PhilJ. (or others),

WOW! I never would have guessed that P&T would not have been able to guess (or already know) at least the general methodology of the Undo Influence effect. Do you know what Fool Us episode that was? I'd love to see Prior Commitment being performed at that level.

Thanks for the info.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Phil J.
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Profile of Phil J.
Quote:
On Jan 26, 2015, Turk wrote: Do you know what Fool Us episode that was? I'd love to see Prior Commitment being performed at that level.

Thanks for the info.

Mike

Here you go. He performs his billiard ball prediction first then the Undo Influence which starts around 4:10....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_U9afkYp_4
You were born original... Don't die a copy Smile
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Quote:
On Jan 26, 2015, Phil J. wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 26, 2015, Turk wrote: Do you know what Fool Us episode that was? I'd love to see Prior Commitment being performed at that level.

Thanks for the info.

Mike

Here you go. He performs his billiard ball prediction first then the Undo Influence which starts around 4:10....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_U9afkYp_4

Video is blocked in the US.
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
Phil J.
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Profile of Phil J.
In which case try searching youtube from your end. It's Graham Jolley on Penn & Teller Fool Us.

It was episode 1. Broadcast first on TV Channel ITV on 18 June 2011 @ 8 pm.
You were born original... Don't die a copy Smile
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1559 Posts

Profile of Claudio
Alternatively use a web proxy to bypass the blockage.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3838 Posts

Profile of JanForster
The TOR Browser will do. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
robinr
View Profile
Loyal user
Greater Los Angeles area
226 Posts

Profile of robinr
Some may be interested in a series of effects Peter Duffie, J.K. Hartman and I developed using the "Undo Principle." These are in Peter's and my book "Diamonds From Coal" in the "Re-Calculated Cut" chapter. "Undo Cull-Pability-2" is a trick I use often. All these tricks are impromptu, with any full deck (though one of Jerry's uses two decks).
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Quote:
On Jan 27, 2015, robinr wrote:
Some may be interested in a series of effects Peter Duffie, J.K. Hartman and I developed using the "Undo Principle." These are in Peter's and my book "Diamonds From Coal" in the "Re-Calculated Cut" chapter. "Undo Cull-Pability-2" is a trick I use often. All these tricks are impromptu, with any full deck (though one of Jerry's uses two decks).

Had this off the shelf while researching something else.

In addition to the good crediting, there are some excellent effects here!
~Cliff Green

~ John Northern Hilliard
scottishsweetie
View Profile
New user
Edinburgh, Scotland
88 Posts

Profile of scottishsweetie
Hi,

I've been doing quite a bit with this principle recently. I've also been learning how program Android apps so I've made a Undo Influence Calculator. You can specify the deck size, if the marker/indicator cards are removed or not, reverse mode and calculate marker positions from the final positions you want the cards to end up at or the other way round. It’s not teaching you how to do the principle you’ll need to have the book to understand what the app is doing.

Screenshot here:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736......8990.jpg

This is only my second app so it is very much an early Beta. It was written for my phone (Samsung Galaxy S5) so might not look right on smaller screens. This is Android only (sorry Apple fan boys).

PM me if you'd like to get access to the Beta install.

Cheers,
Mark
J-L Sparrow
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of J-L Sparrow
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2015, scottishsweetie wrote:
Screenshot here:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736......8990.jpg

The link isn't working for me, Mark. When I follow the link, it seems to put the "736......8990.jpg" part in literally, dots and all, into the URL. I get an XML-formatted message saying that the specified key ("736......8990.jpg") does not exist.

I'm eager to see the screenshot. Sounds like you did great work!
scottishsweetie
View Profile
New user
Edinburgh, Scotland
88 Posts

Pm'd you.

The screenshot is in here for anyone else.

https://www.pinterest.com/markbeecham/magic/

Mark
J-L Sparrow
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of J-L Sparrow
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2015, scottishsweetie wrote:
Pm'd you.

The screenshot is in here for anyone else.

Excellent! Thanks!
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4897 Posts

Profile of landmark
To the OP:
Check out Patrick Redford's new book.
J-L Sparrow
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of J-L Sparrow
Quote:
On Apr 10, 2015, landmark wrote:
To the OP:
Check out Patrick Redford's new book.

Thanks for the tip. But which book are you talking about? I googled Patrick Redford, and several books turned up. I'm not sure which one you're referring to.
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Patrick Redford's new book is Applesauce.
~Cliff Green

~ John Northern Hilliard
scottishsweetie
View Profile
New user
Edinburgh, Scotland
88 Posts

Here’s a couple videos from Patrick's book

Horsefeathers (pg 29): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUA6-6_W4yA&feature=youtu.be

Applesauce - Any Thought of Card at Any Thought of Number (pg 17): http://youtu.be/QWgyh1Na5iA

Same general ideas at work as UI but more of another related principle taken to a higher, and more convincing, level.

Mark
Ralph Cos
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of Ralph Cos
My Appstore item Twice As Hard Trainer serves as a virtual spectator who whispers you the two positions to act on, either visually or acoustically. Its interactive Challenge Analyzer serves to x-ray the deck as you apply the Twice As Hard procedure, 8 steps in total. You can define your own problem statement, thus analyzing any combination of L and H and the cut positions. Original, Fixed Middle, and Reverse Modes are supported.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/twice-as......904?mt=8
alecStephenson
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of alecStephenson
Doing Twice-as-Hard in Reversed Mode has the advantage that the offered ranges can be much more natural.
You can offer e.g. between 1-10 and 30-40, and then even in the worst cases there is ample freedom.
Hence no threshold or fixed middle calcs are required.

Reversed Mode can therefore get rid of all the complicated mental calculations.

The disadvantage is that the handling is a bit different.
(You could do this with not-reversed mode but asking for a number between twelve and twenty-two is a bit less natural than asking for a number between one and ten.)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Is Aronson's UnDo Influence control ever done with just one card? (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL