The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Building My First Illusion - advice? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JasperG
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of JasperG
I've been doing close up magic for some time now, and lately I've been playing with the idea of building my first illusion. But before I take the plunge I'd like some advice from you all.

- What illusion would you propose to a first timer? (no experience what so ever with building, so I'll probably ask the help of some friends)
- Where's the best place to get good plans? (preferably in cm)

I always wanted to do the shadowbox or crystal cage but are these perhaps to difficult for a first time?

Hope you can help! Advice/tips of any sorts are welcome!

-Jasper-
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3622 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
The shadow box is really not that difficult - I would stay away from the crystal casket or anything that requires a special base. There area a lot of ins-and-outs and tricks of the trade that are only learned from experience. You might want to make a prototype out of cardboard before sawing any wood. Abbotts has lots of plans for sale.

Jim
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
My advice?
Measure twice cut once.
MGordonB
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of MGordonB
Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic has several ideas.

Given that you've been doing close-up magic, why not start with some smaller illusions such as a square circle, production cabinet, mirror box or take-apart vanish box ( all are in Mark Wilson's book ). I suggest this only because these smaller items woukd make a good transition from your close-up work to slightly larger illusions, they are easy to make at relatively low cost and would get you started pretty quickly.

If you watch Modern Family, Phil showed off a homemade illusion in the season 6, episode 1 Smile
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
The coat of arms of a small town illusionist, is a truss rampant on a van.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1310 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Mark wilson is well worth a look. Mirror boxes are good to make if you can find a good mirror cut. Or find a mirror and design around that. also a Astro cabinets is good check out http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=26

Have fun and enjoy
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
PMed you
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Building My First Illusion - advice? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL