The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Uri Geller reveals the secrets of spoon bending (47 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
That would seem to me to be actionable, then, if it was being used to sell a product. If it was merely a cartoon, however, it could be considered permissible parody.
CThomas
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of CThomas
Ian, thanks for the response. I take factual accuracy seriously, so if I say something wrong I will admit it and apologize. Also, I'm not an expert on Geller, but have read a fair bit about him as a matter of curiosity. Here's the thing, though. I'm not yet persuaded that what I wrote was in error. Yes, the legal cause of action involved defamation-type claims like libel. But the point is that -- if what I have seen is right, and I welcome correction -- the underlying statements that were alleged to have been libelous in at least one of his lawsuits were claims precisely about the reality of Geller's powers, including statements by Randi, the CSICOP, etc., that Geller had "tricked" scientists, that Geller had performed using natural means of the sort that had been widely known since Randi "was a kid," etc. (I also had the impression that Geller at least threatened litigation against others based on similar statements, but I can't remember the details of what I have read on that score.) If my understanding along these lines is factually wrong, then by all means let me know. But if the only point is that Geller's lawsuit over disputing the reality of his claims was packaged as a libel action then I honestly can't see what's wrong with what I said. I think it was obvious from what I wrote that I was discussing the substance of the lawsuit, not identifying the particular tort that was listed in the pleadings. I just assumed that everyone knew that the legal claim was one for libel. And I don't think there's any way that my message could reasonably be read as a reference to some different lawsuit involving the description of Geller as a social disease. With respect, that's really a red herring.

Best,

CT

Quote:
On Jan 22, 2015, Ian Rowland wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 15, 2015, CThomas wrote:
But if any of those people sued magicians for expressing skepticism over the fact that their claims were real...

I'm not here to defend Uri Geller, because that's not my job and in any case Uri doesn't need me to speak for him. The contribution I _can_ make is to correct factual errors, like this one. It's a very old error which seems to persist no matter how many times it is corrected.

Uri Geller has never sued anyone for being skeptical about him or for suggesting that he doesn't have psychic powers. He's not that silly or legally misguided, and he knows such a matter could never be resolved by resorting to the law courts. He has sued people for other things, such as slander or defamation -- e.g. a well-known critic once gave an interview and described Uri as 'a social disease'. To compare someone to a social disease (e.g. akin to a venereal disease or an STD) is defamatory. Uri had young children at the time. He knew one day they would grow up and read old articles about him. Did he want his kids growing up and seeing their father likened to an STD, and what's more seeing that he did nothing about it? No. Would you? So he sued. And he won... although only token damages were awarded in this case.

As a sidenote, calling someone names is juvenile and has nothing to do with good skepticism. Good skepticism would be saying 'We contend that the spoon-bending effect is a trick, not a manifestation of psyching ability, and here's the evidence and data to support our contention'.

It seems that whenever people discuss Uri, they seem largely unconcerned about factual accuracy. The same thing happened on a recent Facebook thread where it was said that, at the Genii convention a couple of years back, Juan Tamariz refused to share a stage with Uri on ethical grounds. Nice story, but untrue. Richard Kaufman pointed out that it didn't happen, and could not have happened because the two were never involved in the convention at the same time.

By all means be skeptical about Uri, but it is good to stick to facts, not myths. He has never sued anyone for being skeptical about him or saying he doesn't have psychic powers.
Joe Atmore
View Profile
Elite user
Joe Atmore
419 Posts

Profile of Joe Atmore
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2015, CThomas wrote:
If my understanding along these lines is factually wrong, then by all means let me know.

You ask to be set right if you are "factually wrong", but you don't reference anything factual in your commentary. In fact you clearly state that you "...can't remember the details".

Many of us actually know the facts and details and we are not relying on innuendo and we do not support your claims.
Best Thoughts,

Joe Atmore
International Artists Consultant Uri Geller's Phenomenon TV Series;
PEA Bob Haines Memorial Award;
Dunninger Show Recreation;
Author of Dunninger Knows and Dunninger's Brain Busters

JosephAtmore.com
CThomas
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of CThomas
Joe, I was clear what facts I was asking about. I even quoted language that I understood to form the basis of one of Geller's defamation cases, and invited correction. Again, the factual question is whether the substance of at least one of Geller's libel actions was as I characterized it. My reference to uncertainty was in a parenthetical about a different matter of fact, as to which I also would be happy to receive confirmation or correction. But with respect, I don't think a reasonable reading of my previous message would leave any doubt about the facts I was asking about.
CThomas
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of CThomas
By the way, things like taking my words "can't remember the details" from a parenthetical and saying that they applied to my whole message does not inspire a lot of confidence in favor of your authority claims on this issue.
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
889 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
Quote:
if I say something wrong I will admit it and apologize.

Me too! I am open to correction on anything I wrote before. I do happen to know a lot about both Geller and Randi. I've followed the careers of both men since the 70s. I know them both personally, as friends, and I've also worked with both of them professionally. I'm just stating what I know, or at least _think_ I know, to be the facts! If someone comes along with some cite or document showing I'm wrong, I'll happily admit my error. But I'm pretty sure about this. Uri is shrewd enough to know that he can't sue someone for suggesting he's not actually psychic.
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

It should be noted that claiming someone is not psychic is NOT the same thing as accusing him of "tricking" scientists. As I recall, Geller was never formally tested for his metal bending skills and those were not considered in evaluating his abilities. There was no evidence whatsoever that he used trickery in the actual psi tests that he submitted to.

Hence the claim that he "tricked" scientists could be seen as libelous since it clearly implies fraud- and none was shown in the actual tests.

The mere fact that Randi and others were able to duplicate Geller's results (which weren't that significant, really) by trickery is not at all proof that Geller also used trickery.
Joe Atmore
View Profile
Elite user
Joe Atmore
419 Posts

Profile of Joe Atmore
Bottom line is that everyone is still spelling his name correctly as we approach page 6. And CT you're right. I can't possibly speak with any authority Smile
Best Thoughts,

Joe Atmore
International Artists Consultant Uri Geller's Phenomenon TV Series;
PEA Bob Haines Memorial Award;
Dunninger Show Recreation;
Author of Dunninger Knows and Dunninger's Brain Busters

JosephAtmore.com
CThomas
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of CThomas
Bob, if Geller achieved positive results in these tests, is there some plausible third possibility other than either (a) having genuine powers or (b) trickery? Not necessarily disagreeing with you here, but what exactly would that be?
CThomas
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of CThomas
Quote:
Quote:

Me too! I am open to correction on anything I wrote before. I do happen to know a lot about both Geller and Randi. I've followed the careers of both men since the 70s. I know them both personally, as friends, and I've also worked with both of them professionally. I'm just stating what I know, or at least _think_ I know, to be the facts! If someone comes along with some cite or document showing I'm wrong, I'll happily admit my error. But I'm pretty sure about this. Uri is shrewd enough to know that he can't sue someone for suggesting he's not actually psychic.

Thanks, Ian. I'm still not sure whether your understanding of the facts differs from mine or not. I think what happened in at least one of these lawsuits was that Geller asserted libel claims based on the language I quoted up above. I certainly defer to your expertise on the question of whether that is right or not.
CThomas
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of CThomas
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2015, Joe Atmore wrote:
Bottom line is that everyone is still spelling his name correctly as we approach page 6. And CT you're right. I can't possibly speak with any authority Smile

My point was not that you "can't" speak with authority on this subject. My point was that committing obvious errors of the sort I showed in your message called into question whether you have, in fact, done so here.
CThomas
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of CThomas
By the way, Ian, near the beginning of this discussion, I called Geller a "jack-ass." I take your point that name-calling is wrong and juvenile, and I withdraw that and apologize for it.

Quote:
Quote:

mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
Bob, if Geller achieved positive results in these tests, is there some plausible third possibility other than either (a) having genuine powers or (b) trickery? Not necessarily disagreeing with you here, but what exactly would that be?

Of course. Luck and/or confirmation bias on the part of the experimenters.
CThomas
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of CThomas
I don't view luck as a particularly plausible explanation. You're right that methodological errors by the experimenters are a possibility that would need to be considered.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Keep in mind that judging remote viewing and drawing duplication tests can be very subjective. There is little difference between a result of "inconclusive" and "a possible hit."
CThomas
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of CThomas
Fair enough.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
I think Randi's book 'Film Flam' offers a pretty reasonable theory explaining Geller's success in the SRI tests.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

I disagree. Randi wasn't present at the tests and assumes a lot.

The following article pretty well summarises the major problems with Randi's so-called "reasonable theory."

http://www.skepticalinvestigations.org/E......ndi.html

Here is a brief excerpt from the much longer article which, I suggest, should be read in full:

Quote:
Randi's take on this series of experiments is withering. He skewers Targ and Puthoff as "bunglers." He reports that their experiments were conducted in a chaotic atmosphere conducive to cheating. He says that a hole in the wall of Geller's isolation room enabled him to spy on the scientists during their ESP experiments. He says that Targ and Puthoff falsified the results of the tests by omitting failed experiments that would have lowered Geller's averages to the level of chance. Further, he says that the scoring of Geller's performances was mishandled, generating higher scores than Geller deserved.

The question naturally arises: How does Randi know all this, since, as he admits, "I've never even set foot on the sacred grounds of SRI [Stanford Research Institute, where the experiments were conducted"? He explains that he was given inside information by "an individual" who claimed to represent dozens of SRI scientists. This group, which worked in secret and even adopted a code name (Broomhilda), passed the information to Randi.

Unfortunately, Randi never names this individual or any other members of the Broomhilda group. He says that "Broomhilda verified for me much of the information that I had been holding on to for years," but where did he get this earlier information in the first place? "That data," he says, "now moved from the status of hearsay to documented fact." But documented is hardly a term applicable to either the initial information, which is never specified, or the Broomhilda information, which came from an anonymous source. He adds, "Additional facts were elicited during conversations and correspondence with individuals. Many of these persons were not aware of Broomhilda and were acting on their own. Their completely independent input supported Broomhilda's charges. Taken together," he concludes, "the information from all sources amounted to quite an indictment."

Maybe so, but it's an indictment that would never hold up in court. The reader is expected to take Randi's word that his unidentified sources are trustworthy - and that the sources themselves are well-informed about experimental procedures they may or may not have witnessed.

Thus when Randi alleges that "hundreds of [failed] experiments that were done by SRI ... were never reported," we must take the statement on faith, as it is unsupported by any documentation. Similarly, when Randi says definitively, "All the other tests [i.e., the successful ones] lacked proper controls and were useless," we search in vain for any footnote to back up this assertion.

A posting www.psicounsel.com/ I found on a message board sums up the situation nicely: "Claims of poor scientific method leveled at the experimenters have been shown to be mainly unsubstantiated personal opinion and second-hand 'Chinese Whispers.'" (Chinese Whispers is the British equivalent of the American game, 'Telephone'.) It might be worth adding that critics of paranormal phenomena, like Randi, are forever decrying any reliance on "anecdotal evidence," which is precisely what the bulk of Randi's argument consists of.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Geller was caught cheating on British TV. He will always be a massive hero of mine but I think we can say with a degree of confidence that someone using a g**** p*** to do a drawing dupe in a restaurant is likely to have used similar techniques in the past.

Either the physical laws of the universe are suspended when Uri Geller performs, or he is using conjuring tricks. I know which explanation I think is more reasonable.

Still a brilliant performer, though.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

That's all completely beside the point. And that point is that Geller was accused of "tricking scientists." There is no documented evidence to support the allegation that he cheated at SRI (the tests that were being referred to) and Randi's explanation is far from even being remotely reasonable or even credible.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Uri Geller reveals the secrets of spoon bending (47 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL