The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Chris Kyle -American Sniper (25 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9..21~22~23 [Next]
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Jan 31, 2015, Kabbalah wrote:

For the haters, something to boo-hoo about...

February 2nd Proclaimed Chris Kyle Day in Texas.

So Texas chooses to celebrate the day Chris Kyle was shot / killed / murdered? Will his killer, Eddie Ray Routh, lead the parade?

Smile

Of course, Dallas celebrated the 50th anniversary of the assassination of JFK ... so maybe this is a Texas thing?
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20552 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Was that an attempt at humor?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5021 Posts

Profile of landmark
It was an attempt at truth.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Why would you celebrate the day someone was murdered? Pretty sick.

Usually people are honored by celebrating their birthdays.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Jan 31, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:

Precisely. Contrary to what Kabbalah wrote, I imagine any real "haters" would be pleased as punch that Texas selected this day instead of Kyle's birthday (April 8). The optics of selecting his day of death on which to celebrate are certainly bad, if one looks at it objectively.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20552 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:

Such as Easter.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20552 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
When is the birthday?

My guess is that it is a pragmatic decision as they picked the day that happened next on the calendar.

That is a guess with zero research.I could be and probably am way wrong.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Kyle's birthday is April 8 (as mentioned above).
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20552 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
So there ya go. Pragmatic decision plain and simple. Make it happen while the buzz is high.

Still a pretty nasty thing to say about his killer leading the parade. But I have come to expect such things.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On Jan 31, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:

Such as Easter.

C'mon, Danny. You need to get a Sunday school refresher. Easter is the day of the resurrection, not the crucifixion.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6770 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Jan 28, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 28, 2015, arthur stead wrote:
Assassins kill for profit. Snipers are military personnel who are ordered to kill by their superiors.

I guess Lee Harvey Oswald was a sniper, then. There is no evidence that he ever got paid to do it. If you recall, many early reports of the Kennedy assassination stated that the President had been shot by a sniper.

What about the serial killer known as the D.C. sniper? He wasn't paid for his actions. Nor was Charles Whitman- the infamous Texas Bell Tower Sniper.

They werent snipers. They were murderers.
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Such as Easter.

C'mon, Danny. You need to get a Sunday school refresher. Easter is the day of the resurrection, not the crucifixion.

Good Friday...better?
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:

So there ya go. Pragmatic decision plain and simple. Make it happen while the buzz is high.

I guess you missed the memo, but Kyle was murdered in 2013. So they might have celebrated his life with a day on Kyle's birthday in 2013 or 2014. If it was a pragmatic decision, it was only pragmatic in the sense that a newly elected Governor of Texas wanted to jump on the movie bandwagon. If he really wanted to honour Chris Kyle in an appropriate way, Gov. Abbott should have waited two more months. Made the announcement now by all means, but set the day of celebration on April 8.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:

Still a pretty nasty thing to say about his killer leading the parade. But I have come to expect such things.

You might have a point, except my comment was obviously indicating how some might view setting the day of celebration on the day of Kyle's murder as being particularly insensitive and inappropriate. I'm sorry you are unable to see that.

Never mind, one day I will follow up on my promise to buy you a gift subscription to an online reading comprehension improvement site.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20552 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You COULD follow up by just not being such a nit all the time but everyone knows that wrong happen either.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20552 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I guess I meant that won't happen.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6770 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Hypothetically, if a man goes to war and has to kill, then returns to civilian life and becomes a serial killer, his wartime kills are not added to his "body count".
Just thought I'd clear that up.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
On Jan 31, 2015, magicfish wrote:
Hypothetically, if a man goes to war and has to kill, then returns to civilian life and becomes a serial killer, his wartime kills are not added to his "body count".
Just thought I'd clear that up.

There is evidence that the vast majority of soldiers shoot above the heads of the enemy during a battle, and only a small percentage shoot to kill (Dave Grossman, On Killing: The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in war and Society. New York: Back Bay Books, 1996).

If this is true, it indicates that most of us are not natural killers, so guys like Kyle are different from us. As are guys like Bundy. Any man that can kill a minimum of 155 people and be at peace with himself is probably damaged in ways the sane among us cannot even imagine.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Tony- You've reminded me of something my grandfather told me about one of his experiences in the first world was. He was a private in the German army and was involved in trench warfare. He said that they always shot above the heads of the French during the day and the French did the same. I asked him why. He explained that many men from both sides snuck out of the trenches at night to play cards with each other and they didn't want to accidentally shoot someone who owed them money.

He added that, at least in the engagement he was involved in, no one was really interested in killing anyone anyway.

And that reminded me of the famous "Christmas truce of 1914" when men from both sides took a break from fighting to celebrate Christmas together.

http://www.history.com/topics/christmas/......as-truce
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Chris Kyle -American Sniper (25 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9..21~22~23 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL