We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Egg Bag on the Street busk (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
mike bonfield
View Profile
Regular user
182 Posts

Profile of mike bonfield
Any one do the egg bag on the street in there busking show I may put it in ???
gman
View Profile
Special user
Lancaster, pa
751 Posts

Profile of gman
A friend of mine did it and was quite successful with it.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Once again! It's not the bag! The egg bag is only a prop.

The egg bag is not a "push button" prop. It must be PERFORMED, NOT JUST "DONE".

The performer, and his presentation are more important than the prop.

Robert Blake (Netherlands) is a busker and does a simple, funny, and very effective egg bag routine.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13415 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On Jan 19, 2015, mike bonfield wrote:
Any one do the egg bag on the street in there busking show I may put it in ???

Here's an entire thread on the subject
http://themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic......&forum=6

I don't perform out in public any longer but I used it out there and loved using the egg bag as a busking trick.
It's one of my favorites for that type of show.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1311 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Hi there I have been on a long path with this and its still going on. Have a read of this and ill pop a up date later. http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......start=30
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
Quote:
On Jan 19, 2015, Dick Oslund wrote:
Once again! It's not the bag! The egg bag is only a prop.

The egg bag is not a "push button" prop. It must be PERFORMED, NOT JUST "DONE".

The performer, and his presentation are more important than the prop.

Robert Blake (Netherlands) is a busker and does a simple, funny, and very effective egg bag routine.

I notice that your posts are a lot of verbal gymnastics trying to get people to understand that it's the person and the performance not the prop. I won't even go into when and where the magic happens. But in this very post you seem to contradict yourself.

In one sentence you write: "It must be PERFORMED, NOT JUST "DONE".
In the last sentence you write: "Robert Blake (Netherlands) is a busker and does a simple, funny, and very effective egg bag routine."
Shouldn't you have written: Robert Blake (Netherlands) is a busker and PERFORMS a simple, funny, and very effective egg bag routine.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Ha! Semantics! But, I must agree! That was a slip of the "pen", and I do appreciate your mentioning it!

Again, thanks!

Dick
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
No problem. Okay, I'm going back to reading Tarbell 2 now.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
KendallScot
View Profile
Regular user
Denver, Colorado
133 Posts

Profile of KendallScot
One of the best, entertaining street routines I've ever seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1H6kJhlwuQ

It's a 10 minute full routine that obviously took Jason 100s of performances to perfect. So good I dusted off my egg bag and have been developing a new routine that I hope to add to my show by this summer!
Kendall Scot

"The art of a magician is to create wonder. If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives will be filled with joy"
**Doug Henning**

"I drank WHAT?""
**Socrates**
James_Kelsey
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of James_Kelsey
I've seen people do really well with it. I've been wanting to do an egg bag routine on the streets for a ling time.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2767 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Jan 21, 2015, EVILDAN wrote:

I've done the Tarbell routine on the street with two kids. Went very well. I don't know what my suggestion is worth, but it bothered me that the 1st person in the routine, the person you get the egg from and the person who you first VANISH the egg with, then stands there while you do the rest of the routine with the 2nd person who's actually holding the bag. (1st person is holding a Devil's Hank.) At the end of the routine, you finish with the 2nd person and send them both back to the audience. I made this change; do the routine as printed until you get to the last production of the egg from the bag. Fail to find the egg. Search the bag thoroughly, then look over at 1st person, take Devil's Hank from them and produce the final egg. THEN send both of them back.

My problem with that routine is that you leave the spectators holding dangerous props (dangerous to the show, not to the spectators). If they do the wrong thing, they can mess you up completely.

One last story, if you look at the Tannen's catalog for the egg bag, they'll tell you that "for the routine you need two eggs and a Devil's Hank." I ordered all of these things and was surprised when the egg bag routine did not mention the 2nd egg or the Devil's Hank. I even went to Tannen's on a trip to NYC and asked the clerk about this. He looked at the description from the catalog, shrugged and said; "I dunno." It wasn't until I ordered the first two Tarbell volumes that I found the correct routine.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
I just use an egg and a bag and later on a person from the audience.
My routine doesn't put heat on the bag. I don't do a lot of the "showing the bag empty" moves.
by EVILDAN....
PM me for more info.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Yes! An egg, a little bag, and, a little girl, or a lady, Plus, imagination, a bit of talent, and PRESENTATION!

Too many, spend too much time PROVING the little bag is "MT".
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2767 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I understand, but in the routine, at each point, one of the spectators is holding something with an egg in it. (Even worse for the DH person as the DH is a lot thinner than the bag.) All it takes is someone shifting their prop in their hand and saying; "Hey wait, there's something in here."
Ain't life unkind?"
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Good point,Ed! "My" little girl only holds the bag at the beginning, when I produce the egg, and both her hands are "tied up" and it's only for a few seconds. I'm in complete control. Then, at the finish she holds it again for a few seconds, before SHE produces the egg! "Management" of the "helper" is always necessary, but, in my routine, it is not difficult. I never take "chances".

Re: your Tannen "incident". Writers of copy for catalogs (in those days) weren't always too "up" on what they were writing about. --or wrote from memory of seeing someone perform a classic like the egg bag.

I remember that Laurie Ireland's egg bag routine, involved a DH and the bag. Don Lawton used Ireland's routine for eons! Don did eliminate the kid's reaching into Don's pocket to produce the egg, at one point.

Your concern is a big reason that I use ONLY the bag (Sterling/Mardo)the egg, and one audience helper.
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
Just for the record, my routine is not out of Tarbell, it's my own. I think my reference about going back to reading Tarbell might have been confusing.
by EVILDAN....
PM me for more info.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2767 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Jan 29, 2015, Dick Oslund wrote:

Re: your Tannen "incident". Writers of copy for catalogs (in those days) weren't always too "up" on what they were writing about. --or wrote from memory of seeing someone perform a classic like the egg bag.

Thanks! My complaint was not with the catalog copy, which was accurate, but with the store clerk who didn't know what the catalog copy was referring to! (Although it might have helped if the copy had referrenced the Tarbell course a little more directly.)
Ain't life unkind?"
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:

Hey Dan! I'm ahead of ya! --I'm almost to the end of "3"!!! hee hee

It sounds like thee and me, think alike! Senor Mardo and I met when I was 16 in Bob Stull's shop in San Francisco (1947). He mentored me through the color changing silk thru the hand. I've featured it ever since.

About 4 years later, we met again in Norfolk, VA. He did his egg bag. I had never considered it as being anything worth knowing. Wow! Was I ever wrong!!! I bought one the next day. I did what he had showed me, until I got comfortable with the prop. It took awhile, but, he had given me a good start. I developed a simple and fun routine. For more years than I care to count, the egg and bag have been delighting audiences of all ages. --and, I blame it all on Charlie Mardo!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:

Ha! Dan! I'm ahead of ya! (I'm now finishing up "3" hee hee

It sounds like thee and me think very much alike!

I first met Senor Mardo in Bob Stull's shop in San Francisco, in 1947. I was 16, and had just bought a dye tube. He mentored me, and I have used that trick ever since.

About 4 years later, we met again in the old EdMar shop in Norfolk, VA. Mardo lectured, and did the egg bag. I had never thought that the egg bag was worth knowing about. (I had only seen it done once, by a very inept performer.) Mardo sure changed my mind! It was a case of "The performer is more important than the prop"! I bought one the next day! (the Mardo/Sterling bag)

I tried it out, using basically, Mardo's routine. It played! It took awhile, but, using Mardo's concept, I was able to develop a "handling" that fit ME!

Like the color changing silk, the egg bag has been one of my features for years. I've worn out a lot of 18" silks, and, that original Sterling made bag. Now, I have a Busby $50.00 bag,--I blame it all on Senor Mardo!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2767 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I'm actually reading the ORIGINAL Tarbell Course which my wife found a bought for me.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Original-Tarbe......15418376
Ain't life unkind?"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Egg Bag on the Street busk (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL