We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Light Speed by Rick Lax (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
jf4viva
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of jf4viva
Rick showed this to me after I showed him Grab in between takes on the set of Wizard Wars(whoops I dropped it, let me pick up that brag) and I will say that it fooled me both times. it is something I find myself doing especially since the display of skills is so connected to my effect.

glad he put it out

Mark Calabrese
jskalon
View Profile
Special user
Shorewood, IL.
869 Posts

Profile of jskalon
Picked it up and this is a keeper. Rick thoroughly covers everything. It will take a little work, but to me it will be worth the time.
I did feel a little like davidpaul$ did about the trailer,, but also (like him) like the effect after seeing the whole presentation and explanation.
This is my first Rick Lax purchase and I definitely want to check out his other stuff.

(just my 2 cents)
Jack Skalon

"That's my story and I'm stickin' to it"
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1106 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
It's £4 & it's *** good. Just buy it ! Mike donoghue
ricklaxmagic
View Profile
Special user
West Bloomfield, Michigan
678 Posts

Profile of ricklaxmagic
Quote:
On Jan 21, 2015, Steve Suss wrote:
I agree with the others. This is a strong and direct effect that is different enough to fit into almost anyone's repertoire. It will require some practice to get down smoothly but is well worth the effort. I'll be looking into other impromptu effects from Rick Lax after seeing this one.

Steve

Thanks Steve. You might like Binary Code, too. Similar to this one.
ricklaxmagic
View Profile
Special user
678 Posts

Profile of ricklaxmagic
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2015, davidpaul$ wrote:
The trailer is definately misleading and I purchased based on the trailer. Not a good move...
That said, I'm not dissapointed with the effect by any means, it's actually pretty good.
BUT Don't do the edited trailers that don't tell the whole story IMO it harms credibility.

Hey David. Glad you like the trick. That's most important for us. And as for the trailer...you're right that we don't show the whole thing...but that's just to combat against these people who watch a trailer 100 times and discuss at length on forums so they don't have to buy. It's a huge, unfortunate force we're up against. So, yeah, sometimes we only show part of the trick. But if you've bought from me before, hopefully you at least believe you'll be getting quality.
ricklaxmagic
View Profile
Special user
678 Posts

Profile of ricklaxmagic
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2015, daniltan wrote:
My guess: This effect is indeed impromptu, but not instant. There are 2 phases. I'm kinda want to save a bit for the next big thing. But, everything from Rick is BIG. There goes my saving..

Thanks/apologies!
ricklaxmagic
View Profile
Special user
678 Posts

Profile of ricklaxmagic
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2015, jskalon wrote:
Picked it up and this is a keeper. Rick thoroughly covers everything. It will take a little work, but to me it will be worth the time.
I did feel a little like davidpaul$ did about the trailer,, but also (like him) like the effect after seeing the whole presentation and explanation.
This is my first Rick Lax purchase and I definitely want to check out his other stuff.

(just my 2 cents)

Thanks Jack. You might like Binary Code, if you liked this one. Similar in a lot of ways..
ricklaxmagic
View Profile
Special user
678 Posts

Profile of ricklaxmagic
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2015, jf4viva wrote:
Rick showed this to me after I showed him Grab in between takes on the set of Wizard Wars(whoops I dropped it, let me pick up that brag) and I will say that it fooled me both times. it is something I find myself doing especially since the display of skills is so connected to my effect.

glad he put it out

Mark Calabrese

Mark: Shouldn't people really be doing BOTH tricks?? Smile
ricklaxmagic
View Profile
Special user
678 Posts

Profile of ricklaxmagic
Quote:
On Jan 21, 2015, MR Effecto wrote:
Rick stop taking my money

Ha. You'll be happy to know I'm on salary at Penguin now, so I make the same whether you buy or don't. So my plan is to start cranking out some awful tricks. Sound like a good plan? Smile Seriously though, we already filmed some more great stuff...stay tuned.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3962 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2015, ricklaxmagic wrote:
Quote:
The trailer is definately misleading and I purchased based on the trailer. Not a good move...
That said, I'm not dissapointed with the effect by any means, it's actually pretty good.
BUT Don't do the edited trailers that don't tell the whole story IMO it harms credibility.

Hey David. Glad you like the trick. That's most important for us. And as for the trailer...you're right that we don't show the whole thing...but that's just to combat against these people who watch a trailer 100 times and discuss at length on forums so they don't have to buy. It's a huge, unfortunate force we're up against. So, yeah, sometimes we only show part of the trick. But if you've bought from me before, hopefully you at least believe you'll be getting quality.

I agree with the problem with people watching something 100 times to try to figure it out, and it is unfortunate. I have the download and I was NOT disappointed. It is a great trick and great thinking! I love that it is totally impromptu, and I also love that is actually does take a bit of practice and skill. Not too much, but just a bit of practice. It also inspired me to come up with a totally different effect that I'm really liking, involving the dribble and grab. Perhaps in the future, you could describe the entire effect in writing and just show on video what you feel you need to, to not create a problem for yourself.

This is not just a great "trick", it is also a really great routine too!

Thanks,

KJ
ricklaxmagic
View Profile
Special user
678 Posts

Profile of ricklaxmagic
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2015, 1KJ wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

I agree with the problem with people watching something 100 times to try to figure it out, and it is unfortunate. I have the download and I was NOT disappointed. It is a great trick and great thinking! I love that it is totally impromptu, and I also love that is actually does take a bit of practice and skill. Not too much, but just a bit of practice. It also inspired me to come up with a totally different effect that I'm really liking, involving the dribble and grab. Perhaps in the future, you could describe the entire effect in writing and just show on video what you feel you need to, to not create a problem for yourself.

This is not just a great "trick", it is also a really great routine too!

Thanks,

KJ

I don't hate the idea of the snappy trailer and the more involved description....and maybe I could even put the more detailed description here on the Café.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2544 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Really like the trick. Pick these things up for 5.95 the day they come out and you're practically stealing them. Of course I like some of Rick's stuff more than others but always felt it was a,good value
daniltan
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of daniltan
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2015, ricklaxmagic wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2015, daniltan wrote:
My guess: This effect is indeed impromptu, but not instant. There are 2 phases. I'm kinda want to save a bit for the next big thing. But, everything from Rick is BIG. There goes my saving..

Thanks/apologies!

Don't be sorry Rick. I took the plunge and now I can run on water! No, that's not true... Anyway, this is a great download. I'm just glad I took it yesterday.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Thinking about it, if you kept the demo to penguin only, I'm pretty sure with a cookie (a digital one), you'd be able to limit someone watching the demo to maybe two or three times...or at least keep track of how many times someone has watched the demo...then after a couple of hundred views a little screen comes up of a disappointed penguin, judging them...
I've asked to be banned
lord_wallmotto
View Profile
Loyal user
293 Posts

Profile of lord_wallmotto
This is such a great trick. Rick just keeps releasing strong, practical real world material. Even though the first phase is not 100% sure to work all the time (Although it is covered in detail how to hadle all the possible scenarios) I think that the trick actually can be even stronger if you do not hit it 100% the first time because of the total impossibility of the second phase which will work a 100% all the time.

I think that adding a misstake on purpose at the right time can be used to build suspense and make some tricks even stronger.

Keep up the good work.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2979 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Quote:
Quote:

Rick..Thanks for the reply...It's not a matter of not showing the whole effect, but rather editing the trailer , cut and pasting, so to speak to create something to the viewer, that was not accurate in context. Regardless your teaching was and is top notch. You have a great personality and enjoy your offerings.

I was just dissapointed how the effect was presented via the trailer, but not dissapointed that I purchased it.
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
ricklaxmagic
View Profile
Special user
678 Posts

Profile of ricklaxmagic
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2015, davidpaul$ wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Rick..Thanks for the reply...It's not a matter of not showing the whole effect, but rather editing the trailer , cut and pasting, so to speak to create something to the viewer, that was not accurate in context. Regardless your teaching was and is top notch. You have a great personality and enjoy your offerings.

I was just dissapointed how the effect was presented via the trailer, but not dissapointed that I purchased it.

It's such a tough situation. On the other end of things, I know a guy who recently released a trick where he showed the entire performance. (I won't give more details than that.) The trick didn't look good, didn't sell well--to the best of my knowledge--and my friends chastised those who made the trailer, as it was so long and, well, dull.

And the truth is, I figured it out right as I watched. And I think a lot of people did, too. Which is tough for a creator because sometimes you can watch something, instantly figure it out...but the idea is still good. Isn't it better to spend money on 1) a good trick that you'll use that you can figure out after watching once...as compared to 2) a bad trick that's impractical and unusable that fools you?

With my tricks...I'm trying to strike the right balance...I want to give great tricks for a great price, but sometimes it feels like trying to be the guy peddling vegetables in a market that sells french fries...the veggies are good for you, but sometimes we gotta get creative with the marketing. So we call them "Sports Candy." But your body will thank us later...I hope.
ricklaxmagic
View Profile
Special user
678 Posts

Profile of ricklaxmagic
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2015, lord_wallmotto wrote:
This is such a great trick. Rick just keeps releasing strong, practical real world material. Even though the first phase is not 100% sure to work all the time (Although it is covered in detail how to hadle all the possible scenarios) I think that the trick actually can be even stronger if you do not hit it 100% the first time because of the total impossibility of the second phase which will work a 100% all the time.

I think that adding a misstake on purpose at the right time can be used to build suspense and make some tricks even stronger.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks Lord! Yeah, at first I was bummed when I'd be 1 or 2 cards off in the first phase, but then I grew to see the situation as you do. Spin everything as a success. Smile
Magic1
View Profile
Veteran user
Los Angeles
397 Posts

Profile of Magic1
Could someone clearly explain the phases? Especially the first phase. Thanks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Light Speed by Rick Lax (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL