The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Egg bag with a Japanese twist (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Intrepid
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, MD
979 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Bob
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Must be the biggest egg bag I've ever seen. Must get one of those costumes too, just what I need. ;-)
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1470 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
The egg bag was original that size. they could produce up to 35 eggs and as a finale they produced a live chicken. through the years the size became smaller like we know it today. nice to see somebody work with that kind of bag.

great video thanks
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Cheers Robert, I never heard that before.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
OKITO used the old fashioned large bag. De Yip Loo opened his high school program with it. (Screams of laughter, and applause. For a finish he would produce Sam (his Chinese chicken)

Mike Caveney does it today. He really sells it.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
flickermaker
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of flickermaker
For something similar, but different - Patrick Page's "Hanky Panky Cloth" is a large cloth you can use for an egg bag style routine.

Product Details

Hanky Panky Cloth is a fantastic new vanishing device invented by the brilliant Patrick Page. This is how it looks: You drape a black square of cloth over your palm up hand - an object is placed onto the palm of the draped hand. You close your hand, grasping the object through the cloth and the hand is turned over. One of the hanging corners of the cloth is grasped with your other hand - with a flick - the cloth is shaken out - the object is gone! The corners of the cloth may be gathered together to form a bag and the object can be reproduced and even brought forth by a spectator. Any small object can be dropped into Patrick Page's Hanky Panky Cloth: use it as an egg bag, vanish coins, dollars, dice, watches, finger rings, combs, cigarettes, and even playing cards. You can then immediately reproduce the object at your fingertips. Its versatility is unmatched when compared to any other vanishing cloth. There is nothing to mess up--it is easy to handle, and appears to be nothing more than a innocent black handkerchief with a nicely colored border. When Patrick recently lectured for us, he performed his Hanky Panky Cloth, and we immediately acquired the American distribution and manufacturing rights from him. We were that impressed. You will be as well!

Read more: http://www.monstermarketplace.com/magic-......Q5w7zzYm
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22443 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Pat Page's Hanky Pranky Cloth is a great tool to use to vanish and reproduce eggs, large coins, pocket watches, and anything of this size. I was a Colon Michagan and purchased mine from Pat Page. He showed me the cloth and I immediately purchased it, as I saw the potential of this great cloth. The best feature is holding the cloth spread between the hands and snapping, then turn the cloth and re-grip another two corners and snap the cloth again. The one I purchased was made from heavy clothing material. Draped beautifully over the hand. The next visit by Pat Page, he had changed the cloth to a stiffer blue material. I did so want a matching 2nd cloth to perform with, just shows that you can't wait to get want a person wants. Should have bought two on the 1st visit.

I had to rush home and make all the notes Pat Page showed me that was possible with this device, as it was only an outline in his lecture notes.

Pat Page is greatly missed by me and others that seen the value and wisdom this man hand for magic.
Intrepid
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, MD
979 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Quote:
On Jan 28, 2015, Bill Hegbli wrote:
I had to rush home and make all the notes Pat Page showed me that was possible with this device, as it was only an outline in his lecture notes.

Pat Page is greatly missed by me and others that seen the value and wisdom this man hand for magic.

Those notes would be of great value to other performers I'm sure.
Bob
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Where was the payoff? I was waiting for all the eggs to become doves.
g.albinana
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of g.albinana
Mike Caveney explains a routine that he does with the old style egg bag and chicken production in his increible book...totally worth the effort and work.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8671 Posts

Profile of funsway
I once performed Egg Bag a lot, then shifted to using a regular (even borrowed napkin or scarf to form a bag, show it empty on both sides during the routine and allow spectators to pull out the eggs.

Judging by audience reactions and questions asked later the latter is much more 'magical" and "memorable" --
and more easily segues into other effects with eggs or the napkin

Now I view any Egg Bag routine as unnecessarily complicated and suspicious. Why a large bag for a small egg? Why a bag at all? Why an egg?

I am not saying that the props used by a magician have to "make sense" -- but am suggestion that they be congruent to the result demonstrated and the and amount of magic desired in the memory.

Sometimes "entertaining" is more important that "great magic." I am often not a great entertainer because I try for too much magic.

"who is your audience" is more important than size of bag or costume, and "what are their expectations" more important than skill.

Just some thoughts ....
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Jan 31, 2015, g.albinana wrote:
Mike Caveney explains a routine that he does with the old style egg bag and chicken production in his increible book...totally worth the effort and work.

Yes! I mentioned Mike earlier in this thread. Mike does it VERY WELL. --Almost as well as the late DE YIP LOO! (HEEHEE!) Loo had worked for DANTE when he came to America from Hong Kong. Dante featured it. In some ways (IMHO) the big bsg is not quite as deceptive as the modern "little" bag (which doesn't "just produce eggs".

Loo opened with it when I first saw him in 1954. The high school audience was "rolling on the floor" with laughter! I have known Mike for about 25 years. He's a fine magician. When I saw him do the big bag at the Louisiana Magic Weekend about 5 years ago, the magicians weren't "rolling on the floor", BUT, they were laughing and were also well entertained.

If working with the big bag appeals to you, I would heartily recommend that you get his book.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I just spent a half hour, adding some comments to Ken's comments, above. I hit the backspace and the whole #@%% thing went into cyber space.

After I calm down, (it may take awhile) I'll try to come back and reconstruct my erudite statement. (Oh Lord, help me to be patient--and, PLEASE HURRY!)
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1816 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Speaking of egg bags... this jpeg of a classic Isaac Fawkes print:
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/6......46c8.jpg
shows the production of many balls (eggs?) from a pretty voluminous bag.

Of course, magic has become much more streamlined over the centuries, as evidenced by the evolution, for instance, of the "Sawing a Woman in Two" illusion that has become much more deceptive in the centuries since P.T. Selbit invented the illusion. Compare today's "Thin Sawing" with the box shown in this jpeg of Selbit presenting the illusion
http://www.stageillusion.com/news/wp-con......oman.jpg

Likewise, the production of cards from the b**kp**m has seen an interesting evolution since the days of Ardo the Frogman and Howard Thurston.

----- Sonny
----- Sonny Narvaez
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1816 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I remember a "Chinese Egg Bag" that we sold at Earl Edwards's Magic Shop in Norfolk. D. Robbins marketed it. It was basically a reed mat and an egg gimmicked with a l--p of th---d so that the mat could be shown on both sides using a move similar to a standard dye tube move. It was a pretty nice effect where a limitless number of eggs could be produced, dumped in a hat or box, and then they all vanished or changed into something else! The "Focus on Hocus" trick review by J.G. Thompson in the June 1955 _Linking Ring_ has this blurb:
-----quote-----
CHINESE EGG BAG ($1)--Joe Karson; a D. Robbins and Company item; one 8 1/2" x 11" page of instructions, gimmicked wooden egg, and 12" x 19" reed mat; living room and stage; spot-adaptable; right, left and rear angles; average skill; B.

Instead of the customary bag, the folded mat is used. The egg appears and disappears and finally changes into a lemon. Principles employed are sound, and unusual handling of an old classic may baffle a lot of observers.
-----unquote-----

Although the review was written in 1955, this was one of those tricks that flew under the radar of most magicians, and remained relatively ignored on magic shop shelves until someone re-discovered it and did it at a magic club meeting or show.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22443 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The Chinese Egg Bag, good trick, when I was beginning in magic is was one of my principle tricks I performed at every show. I took the suggestion and produced a lemon in the end. As the late great Don Lawton stated, it is one of the best principles in magic for showing both sides of a mate or piece of paper. It is fun to be fooling them in plan sight. Everything is shown fairly front and back at the beginning and end of the routine. I like it when a trick is fun to perform as well as gets good reactions from the audience.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Egg bag with a Japanese twist (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL