The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » And to think a female walking in NY feels threatened (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2015, rockwall wrote:
Quote:

Having a place or a home vandalized is quite different than these type of experiences.

So the reporter with the edited video was never harmed, but you are more concerned about him than the 30 families in Wisconsin, (who had anti-Semitic slurs spray painted on their homes) I posted about? I guess it is different. But I'd like to see you explain your indifference to the families in Wisconsin.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2015, landmark wrote:
I apologize, clearly the vandalizing of physical property, a school, an imprison-able crime, is far less worrisome than someone's negative comments. What was I thinking?

It would be fascinating to see what the reactions would be if someone identifiable as Muslim went walking through Salt Lake City or New York City followed by a camera.

Fascinating? Doubtful. More likely extremely boring. I see identifiable Muslims walking around SLC all the time with no one giving it a second thought. (You may also find it fascinating that most of the gay people I know find SLC much more welcoming than almost anywhere else they've been.) I find it hard to believe you don't have identifiable Muslims in NYC. Or are they leaving enmasse because of the threats?
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2015, balducci wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Having a place or a home vandalized is quite different than these type of experiences.

So the reporter with the edited video was never harmed, but you are more concerned about him than the 30 families in Wisconsin, (who had anti-Semitic slurs spray painted on their homes) I posted about? I guess it is different. But I'd like to see you explain your indifference to the families in Wisconsin.

You're the one wanting to characterize it as indifference. It's not.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5006 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
Quote:
I apologize, clearly the vandalizing of physical property, a school, an imprison-able crime, is far less worrisome than someone's negative comments. What was I thinking?

It would be fascinating to see what the reactions would be if someone identifiable as Muslim went walking through Salt Lake City or New York City followed by a camera.

Fascinating? Doubtful. More likely extremely boring. I see identifiable Muslims walking around SLC all the time with no one giving it a second thought. (You may also find it fascinating that most of the gay people I know find SLC much more welcoming than almost anywhere else they've been.) I find it hard to believe you don't have identifiable Muslims in NYC. Or are they leaving en masse because of the threats?

Guess what? I see Jews walking around every day in NYC without anyone giving it a second thought. Does that prove there is no Anti-Jewish feeling in NYC?

And BTW, there was an exodus of some of the Muslim community from NYC in the year following 9/11. The harassment they had to endure from many quarters was tremendous. I'll spare you the Google-d stories. I guess you are ignorant of them. I don't know if it would make any difference to you to know though.

I also come across anti-Muslim sentiment all the time in NYC. I am sure that in a scenario set up with Muslims in both NYC and SLC the same way as Jews in Paris, you'd get comparable results.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
I also come across anti-Muslim sentiment all the time in NYC. I am sure that in a scenario set up with Muslims in both NYC and SLC the same way as Jews in Paris, you'd get comparable results.

I'd take that bet in an instant. At least in SLC. I'm not as well versed in NYC. As liberal as NYC is, I'd guess you may be right. Probably a lot less tolerant there.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16113 Posts

Profile of tommy
My joint is in the Jewellery Quarter, which is where I was brought up. It is a place with loads of small business which are all sort of interrelated and work together. There are many Jewish people among others there and there is a fantastic community spirit. The place is surrounded by districts that just haven’t got that same community spirit. There is community spirit in all places but some have move than others. I think relationships come from doing something in common. The Jewellery Quarter people are all, or mostly all, in jewellery business obviously. I don’t think talk gets you far, I rather think doing something together would be more helpful.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Don't you own a bar tommy? So .... your joint doesn't actually sell jewelry, does it? Maybe fence it?

OK, wheres the 'pulling your leg' emoticon down below???
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Love when the right manages to fit anti-woman and anti-Islam into the same story. Saves the satirists the time of making jokes of them Smile
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2015, critter wrote:
Love when the right manages to fit anti-woman and anti-Islam into the same story. Saves the satirists the time of making jokes of them Smile

Ah. So you think the horrible taunts the lady endured is much more worrisome than what the Jews experienced. I guess we could say that you gotta love it when the left is able to thread in a war on women theme while being anti-Semitic at the same time.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5006 Posts

Profile of landmark
A quick google says SLC maybe relatively better than a lot of the nation in some respects but still has some issues, not entirely Kumbaya:
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/64519......l?pg=all
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Ooo, wow! There might be 'some' issues!! Stop the presses! Who knew?!?! And all this time I thought we had already achieved Nirvana. How could I have been so wrong!!
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5006 Posts

Profile of landmark
The point is that Muslims have reason to feel unsafe even in SLC, contrary to what you implied.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16113 Posts

Profile of tommy
The Muslim Brotherhood (MB) was founded by fundamentalist Egyptian school teacher, Hasan al Banna in 1928. He advocated violent Jihad and the replacement of secular governments with a worldwide totalitarian Caliphate governed under strict Islamic Shariah law. Banna became a devotee of Adolf Hitler, who was himself an admirer of Islam and militarist Jihad conquest. Despite Banna’s assassination by Egyptian authorities under King Farouk in 1949, the MB succeeded in establishing branches throughout the Middle East, such as Hamas in Gaza and the West Bank, Jordan and Syria. There are even branches in Europe and America. The Hamas Charter of 1988 seeks the obliteration of the Jewish State of Israel. Among MB fronts in the US are:

Council of American Islamic Relations;
Islamic Society of North America;
Islamic Circle of North America;
Muslim Students Association;
Muslim American Society;
International Institute for Islamic Thought; and,
Muslim Public Affairs Council.
These MB fronts were identified as unindicted co-conspirators in the Federal Holy Land Foundation trial with convictions in 2008, involving the funneling of upwards of $36 million to Palestinian MB affiliate Hamas in Gaza. Uncovered in the HLF trial was a 1991 strategy plan of the MB in the US to overthrow our Constitution and form of government via ‘stealth Jihad’ and replacing it with a Shariah–ruled Caliphate.

http://www.newenglishreview.org/Jerry_Go......he_West/

The Muslin Brotherhood are not the only problem but so long as the Muslin Brotherhood is around there is going to be a problem and not only for Jewish people but also for Muslims and everybody. Under the cloak of these benign fronts the Muslin Brotherhood radicalize Muslims. The radicalized useful idiots cause trouble and then all Muslin get tarred with the same brush. Everybody has reasons to feel unsafe and the Muslin Brotherhood is one of them is it not?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Quote:
On Feb 19, 2015, tommy wrote:
Everybody has reasons to feel unsafe and the Muslin Brotherhood is one of them is it not?

are you saying the MB is one of them to feel unsafe?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16113 Posts

Profile of tommy
The Muslin Brotherhood organisation is a threat to stability everywhere. The financial crisis. which is on-going, means there are vast numbers broke on the streets. The natives are restless and easy meat for instigators and provocateurs, the Muslin Brotherhood radicalize useful idiots. The Muslin Brotherhood themselves ought to be thrown out. However it is very difficult to do because they hide behind these fronts that contain good people. I am sure you know how fronts and such work. On top of that we have the fact that our intelligence services use the Muslin Brotherhood also.

There are not only two sides to a coin; There is always the edge, not to mention the inside.

Tommy
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
You shouldn't call someone idiots for what they.......... nar, called them what you will.
Whats your solution then?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16113 Posts

Profile of tommy
Useful idiot

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Useful_idiot

I advise not joining any groups for a start because you don't know what you are getting in into.

Tommy
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Verified 100 executions" of foreign ISIS fighters trying to leave the jihadist group's de facto capital. - See more at: http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/Middle-......677.dpuf
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2015, landmark wrote:
The point is that Muslims have reason to feel unsafe even in SLC, contrary to what you implied.

Oh, so THAT's what you were trying to imply. Well, from reading the article that's quite a stretch but more power to you.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5006 Posts

Profile of landmark
It may be that school desecration and restaurant burnings would not bother you if it happened to your kinship group, but it's good to allow that others may feel differently.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » And to think a female walking in NY feels threatened (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL