The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Help I have a show but how do I sell it? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magic Tad
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of Magic Tad
Hi and let me say how glad I am to find all the great magicans are here. I hope you guys can help me. Over the last year I refined a show and did two children's birthday partys. Both went very well and I could have sold more that day and If I were ready I would have. Now I am ready to sell my show at day care centers. I have business cards made up and a brochure almost done. I plan to go to the D.C.C. dressed well but not in my tux. I have a few small tricks I could do to show the manager like business card tricks or card magic. But I am not a salesman and could use some help with what to say.

Thanks for any Help Magic
Tad Smile
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Magic Tad,

When you visit the manager, be honest. Explain that you currently entertain for birthday parties and are looking to expand to doing shows at day care centers.

You will find that their budget is small, so offer to do a show at his or her center for a great price if they will act as a reference and give you a testimonial letter.

At the show, be sure to give each child a small take home gift (which includes your contact information), such as a Fortune Telling Fish or other simple magic giveaway.
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
Magic Tad
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of Magic Tad
Wow thanks so much for your advice. I must be on the right track. You have confirmed my thoughts and tying in the reference and testimonial very good. I had planed on giving away coloring pages with my name and picture on them. I also plan on sending a large picture with a thank you note on it to them after the show. Thanks again Magic Tad
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Magic Tad,
My advice is simple...go man go!
Here is wishing you Great Luck!
-Ed
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
Magic Tad
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of Magic Tad
Thanks Ed. It helps to have everyones support. Magic Tad
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Tad, getting into the day care shows was the best idea I had. As a clown I come in as Peter and during the magic show put my make up on. Helps kids who are afraid of clowns.

This is one area that helps with another income stream. I don't do a lot of day care centers, about 5 or 6 during the summer months, but is adds to the bank. I charge about twice my birthday party rate for a day care center. Rememeber they are a profit center so we can charge higher fees.

Go see every center in your area and talk to the director, then after you book and perform a show don't forget to ask for letters of recommendation and use that to get other shows. On my day care brochure I quote about 5 different directors about how good my show is.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Magic Tad
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of Magic Tad
Thanks Paddy. Selling in person is not my strong suit but my wife has been roll playing to help prepare me for the inevetible questions and hard sells. I feel confident that I have a good show and that helps but it always helps to have the advice of pros thanks again Magic Tad
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Another tip that I found. Go see our fellow brother in the forums Jim Snack. I have his Success In Magic Course that I recently got involved with and it is GREAT!!! Just started reading the books and already have increased my income by $500 just by following ONE, count em, ONE of his suggestions!!!!

Go see http://www.success-in-magic.com or call Jim and talk to him about the course. Best investmant I made to increase my income.

Peter
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
itsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
middle earth
1117 Posts

Profile of itsmagic
Hi Tad,

Congratulations on your decision to pursue your dream. Remember, everyone is a salesperson one way or another. Since you are married, you probably did a tremendous job selling her on the idea of marrying you. Smile So there you go! Anyone who is married is the greatest salesperson in the world.

Ok, seriously, what you are selling is yourself and your service. The most important thing to keep in mind when you are attempting to make a sales is WIIFM. You've heard of this radio station, haven't you? It's the "What's In It For Me" station. As long as you answer that question for the daycare director, you'll be ahead of the game. SHOW THEM HOW YOU AND YOUR MAGIC WILL BENEFIT THE DAYCARE. Maybe one benefit is that your magic can increase or retain the daycare center's attendance thereby helping their profit margin.

A simple outline to practice:

1) Introduction and rapport building (2-5 minutes)
2) Tell them why you are there (to talk to them about how they can increase their customer base through magical entertainment)
3) Tell them how long you will speak to them about
4) Ask if this is a good time to talk or should you reschedule.
5) If they agree to listen, show them your magic, leave your press kit, REMEMBER TO TALK ABOUT HOW YOU WILL BENEFIT THE DAYCARE AND THE STUDENTS. Also, a good idea to underpromise and over deliver.
6) Check for acceptance of your beneficial service, and ask for next step. Next steps could be a) follow up phone call or face to face appointment b) book date for your first show and/or c) ask for referrals for other daycare that could use your service.

Even if they didn't book you now, ask if it's ok to keep in touch. Maybe they don't need you now, but at a another time. Timing is very important in sales. Good luck! And report back. Stay positive.
Magic Tad
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of Magic Tad
I must be on the right track. I have gone out two days and done most of what you suggested. No shows yet but they all seem very interested, mostly in shows in the summer. I wish they were ready now. I think I'm going to offer a ten percent discount if they book a show before April 30th and a fifteen percent discount if they book today. What do you think? Too eager? How do you know when to call back as you said timming is very important? Thanks for your advice
Magic Tad Smile
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Instead of a discount. Maybe suggest that you are booking now to plan your calendar. This way they will not have availability problems.

Remember you cannot be in 2 places at once.

You are booking now, for the Summer.

I would only offer a discount if a daycare had multipable locations and they wanted you to perform at them all.
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Do not use the word 'discount' instead as you are selling them the idea just drop in that you do an introductory offer, that way they will not expect the discount every time...

Closing is the hardest part of the sale and you just have to come out and say something like 'So what date would you be interested in then? ' or something to that effect. Remember that selling yourself is just like performing... do not be scared to ask them.. if they want to think about it give them a couple of days and then call them telling them that you are makig 'follow up' calls with regard to your meeting ..
Magic Tad
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of Magic Tad
I hadn't thought of "Discount" having implied a bad image and the thought that they will want it again. I hadn't thought that far in the future. My eyes are looking further ahead as we speak. Introductory sounds much better. Starting the conversation about "my calender is booking up so can I fit you in now" or "So what date would you be interested in then?" Very usefull information. I will let you know how it goes Thanks so much. Magic Tad Smile

Just got back from selling... I went to four day cares and used the avalibility line and booked my first show at daycares. Yea!!!!! Thanks for the advice everybody. It really helps to have the support of someone who has been there. Magic Tad Smile
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Tad:

Congrats my friend. You did the most important thing. You took action upon what you learned and it has benefited you nicely. Many people listen and learn but never take that next step.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
itsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
middle earth
1117 Posts

Profile of itsmagic
Congratulations Tad on getting your first daycare client! Keep the relationship building going. The hardest thing is to get new clients, but once you have them, keep them happy so they will be happy to refer your services.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Keep calling, keep sending, and keep at it ... also, the biggest thing you can do is GET REFERRALS! Get letters of reference from cutomers as you do shows; they will sell your act far better than anyting you tell the prospects.

A great self-booking program called "Money In Your Pocket" can be found at http://markstarr.com/magicians/products.htm
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Letters of reference have been a HUGE help for me when adding them into my promo packets for the market I target. They really help sell you more then your own words can.

I use my evaluation form that is part of my thank you kit, to tell them about my reference letters and to make it as easy on them to respond back as I can.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
All excellent advice...where's my notepad?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Help I have a show but how do I sell it? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL