The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Spring-loaded collapsible Coke can gag (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

malcolm
View Profile
New user
currently Calgary, Canada
62 Posts

Profile of malcolm
Years ago there was a gag on the market - it looked like a Coke can but was actually a regular top and bottom with a soft plastic tube (printed like a Coke can) in between. It was spring-loaded so that the magician/prankster could 'crush' the can against his forehead, then miraculously restore it instantly to its regular shape.

I've searched online but can't find one. Does anyone remember these, and if so do you know where I could get one?

Thanks!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22450 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
To my knowedge they are no longer available.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
I think Bills right, a friend asked me if I knew where to get one. I searched all over and never found anything.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
The original was the appearing soda can by Jeff Stewart. I saw something the other day that appeared to be a new version of this. I can't seem to find it now, but if I do, I'll post here.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1817 Posts

Profile of Anatole
The Magic Reference Pages has an entry on Jeff Stewart's booklet for his "Appearing Soda Can" at
http://magicref.tripod.com/bookssz/stewartsoda.htm
Meir Yedid carries the booklet and some other Jeff Stewart items:
http://www.mymagic.com/stewart.htm
As I recall, Jeff also published a booklet of some of his tricks/routines in a book called, I believe, _Visual Artistry_.

----- Sonny
----- Sonny Narvaez
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22450 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
There was on the shelf at the local magic shop, I will have to check if it still setting there.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Search Ebay for crushing beer can gag. I just saw a couple for sale.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2574 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Malcolm,

It looks like you can get the item you are after here

It's called Psyco-can-esis and is sold as a self crushing can. I independently came up with the same idea for this prop back in the early 90s (a self crushing can) and made it myself from a 'crushable beer can' that I bought from a toy shop. I put together a routine where I attempted to do some spoon bending but everything around me ended up bending except for the spoon. The beer cans don't seem to be readily available anymore though..

I left it in my hotel room one day and the cleaner threw it away thinking it was an ordinary empty can!
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
MIT Rob
View Profile
New user
Belmont, CA
1 Post

Profile of MIT Rob
I have an original one of these in MINT condition, with the included instructions still in the original box. PM me if you are still interested.
MIT Rob
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1675 Posts

Profile of David Todd
[not really sure how this goes under the general topic of "Finger/stage manipulation", because it's a purely mechanical prop, not what we'd typically call "manipulation" magic , but I'm sure some moderator will move it if they see fit ... ]

------

The PSYCO-CAN-ESIS effect by Mark Kornhauser plays very funny and from a reasonable distance it can also be a fooler . (not a close-up effect, imo) The problem with the prop in it's currently available form is that the gimmicked Coke cans were made using an older model Coke can . Coke cans (and other soda or beer cans) don't look like that anymore.

For compartison see : Modern Coke Can vs. old style Coke can from late 1970's - early - 1980's . The PSYCO-CAN-ESIS prop looks like the old style can.

I still see some dealers selling the old model , so I guess someone got stuck with a warehouse full of these things with the late 1970's-early '80's Coke can design. Probably coming to the end of the existing stock now ... most online dealers have it marked as "unavailable" or "discontinued" . It would still be a nice effect if someone would make it up to look like a modern Coke can or Beer can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFbqzIqZHFw

I remember reading on another thread about this trick it was suggested that a modern version of the prop could be made using a scanner, an ink jet printer and glossy vinyl printer sheets.

I tried this, but didn't have much luck with getting a good looking prop that would crush and uncrush . Maybe I used the wrong kind of printable vinyl sheet material. The other issue was that the vinyl sheet needs to be shaped and attached to an upper and lower metal portion of a modern can which is curved, not straight-sided as on the old style can. So getting an exact color match to the metal can is difficult. If the printed vinyl sheet didn't need to match up to the metal upper and lower curved parts of the real can , then it would be easier to make the prop as a straight-sided sleeve. If someone could fabricate the "sleeve" all from one piece of vinyl or latex that would hold the curved shape of a modern can then it would work. But it's a lot of R & D ... I recently checked with Magic Latex about getting a custom item made (not this) and they explained to me how much testing goes into producing one of their products. They have pretty much stopped taking custom orders because it's not cost efficient for them.

ON the OTHER HAND ... who says the PSYCO-CAN-ESIS effect has to be performed with a Coke can or a Beer can ? What other products come in metal cans that are straight-sided ? I never use the stuff , but it seems to me that up until recently the Red Bull Energy Drink cans were more or less straight-sided :

Red Bull can

Here's a product that comes in a straight-sided can which would be funny to use for a "crushing" effect :

Popeye brand Spinach can

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22450 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Just found the Psycho-can-esis available at Kevin James website.

http://www.kjmagic.com/magic_store/productlist.php Scroll down the page.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1675 Posts

Profile of David Todd
The other option for presenting this effect is to use one of the old style tin Coke or Beer cans sold for the Psycho-Can-Esis trick and present the crushing stunt with opening lines about how "modern cans are so flimsy that anyone can crush one , but here's one of the old cans I got off eBay ... now watch this ..." . You can then "crush" the between your hands as a faux display of strength , then say : "but here's the really hard part ..." and hold the crushed can on your outstretched hand as you visibly restore it with the "power of your mind" .

If you can actually get your hands on a matching tin Coke/Beer can from eBay then you've got something that can be switched with the gimmicked can.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Spring-loaded collapsible Coke can gag (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL