[ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Mic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
E.E.
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of E.E.
Hand-held or Head-set. Which one do you use?

We all know Ken Weber makes some good points on the first one...

I like the idea of using a hand-held, it certainly has a lot of advantages. But the Head-set is very comfortable... So, Which one do you prefer?
I shall see you on the other side.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7035 Posts

Profile of bowers
Mine clips to my collar.
You do need your hands free.
Todd
E.E.
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of E.E.
So a Lapel. Great.

Everybody, also note Lapels and Earsets.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I always use a hand-held. I simply put it on the stand when I need both hands, or just hold it under my arm. Other times I use it to great advantage and can easily modulate the sound and volume by moving the mic back and forth from my mouth. (Very important if you want to use dramatic vocal techniques.) Additionally, I can drop it to my side when I want to say something quietly to a participant, as in the Dunninger ploy, etc. (This is why most stage hypnotists prefer a hand held as well.)

A head set, to my mind, suggests sending AND receiving signals, not something I want an audience to think about. You also have no control over your volume and you can't use it to go back and forth between you and a participant, so BOTH of you can be heard. Besides, I've always felt that head set mics can make you look like a pitchman at a county fair.

And, finally, the hand-held mic just looks professional and gives the impression of being fully in charge.

When I absolutely HAVE to use a different mic, I use a lavalier, as I do on television. At least I don't have to wear it on my head. Smile
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10176 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Only handheld
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2273 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Hand-held, exclusively, when performing.

When just speaking, I'll use a lavalier if it's more convenient for the client.
"Calculated Thoughts" now available at The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10632 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Well the sages and pros here all (no surprise) recommend hand-held only as Ken Weber does, and points all well taken - especially what Bob says about not wanting to look like one is sending and receiveing signals.

That being said I personally prefer a hand-held on a stand at the stage, with a quality headset.

There are too many routines where I need full use of my both hands, and don't like putting a mic under my arm pits.

It's personal obviously - I do think that as time progresses and tech improves many pros seem to be gravitating to headsets...

I just took a quick look myself at some sites and see that many performers posting down here on a regular basis are using headsets.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Investigative Mentalist
View Profile
Special user
Seattle, WA
506 Posts

Profile of Investigative Mentalist
Hand microphones are great because of the effects you can with them, and they are great for amplifying what the helper says.

I was a TV news reporter for 12 years, so I'm very comfortable with a mic in my hand.

How many of you use a "Gim Crack" or similar around-the-neck microphone holder when you need your hands free?

I saw one of the presenters at Mindvention last year use a hand-held mic with a Gim Crack holder during his performance, and I've seen videos John Riggs wearing one during his Q&A routine as he walks around the audience.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

I think the Gim Cracks also make you look like a Vegomatic pitchman.

You can also briefly stick a wireless hand held in your outside jacket pocket. Personally, when I HAVE to use both hands and need the full freedom of my arms, which is rare, I either just put the mic on the stand or simply put it down and go into my unamplified stage projection voice. It's really quite effective if you've got a loud mouth like me.

And Brett- I don't put the mic into my armpit. I simply hold it under my left upper arm pressed to my side.

The fact that many people use headsets doesn't make them any more appealing to me. The fact that they are becoming more and more hi-tech is not an advantage, IMO. Hi tech is the LAST thing I want an audience to think about. I disagree with a lot of the things that other performers do. Every time I see a headset mic I'm reminded of the late great Kardor. In his genius comedy mindreading act he wore a turban with a car antenna sticking out of it.

By all means, every performer should use the mic he's most comfortable with. I'm just giving you the reasons why I, personally, always use a hand-held.
E.E.
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of E.E.
Great points. I've always been a fan of the head-sets and Ear-sets, but you guys are right about the hand-held, I'll rearrange my routines to do my entire act with a hand-held.

Derren Brown always uses an ear-set doesn't he? Smile
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1537 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
I wear a Sennheiser Lapel mic, and have a handheld for those who join me on stage. I prefer the lapel mic because it's low profile and non-intrusive and allows me free range of motion.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10632 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Jan 26, 2015, Ever Elizalde wrote:
Great points. I've always been a fan of the head-sets and Ear-sets, but you guys are right about the hand-held, I'll rearrange my routines to do my entire act with a hand-held.

Derren Brown always uses an ear-set doesn't he? Smile

Yes Derren uses an over ear Smile Didn't hurt him too badly but you never know
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Some mics are virtually invisible. I have problems with those, too. First off,' I'd lose all of the advantages a hand held offers and, second, if you have no visible microphone but your voice is nonetheless amplified, the audience obviously knows your "wired" for sound. I'd rather not plant the idea that I may be "wired" for other things as well.

In many cases, my participants are in the audience.I go to them and just leave the mic on stage. Like I said, I can speak loud enough to be heard in almost any venue. (If it was over five hundred people, that is where I'd probably have a lapel mic as well as a hand held on stage.)

Brett- I'm not trying to change anyone's mind. Just answering the original question with my point of view and reasoning. (The truth, I think, is that many performers haven't thought it through at all and simply use a headset because it seems easier.)
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9054 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Jan 26, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
Some mics are virtually invisible. I have problems with those, too. First off,' I'd lose all of the advantages a hand held offers and, second, if you have no visible microphone but your voice is nonetheless amplified, the audience obviously knows your "wired" for sound. I'd rather not plant the idea that I may be "wired" for other things as well.

The logic you present on your several posts here needs no support, and indeed everyone can learn from these insights.

One additional point si that if you wish to be perceived different from a magician on the same stage you will want to use a handheld.

A magician's effects almost always require both hands either overtly or sneakily. If your hands are holding a mike then the effect must be "sleight of mind."
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

That's a good point. After all, few would suspect someone holding a microphone of doing sleight of hand.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Did I mention that I also sometimes stick crib sheets on my hand held?
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10632 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:

Brett- I'm not trying to change anyone's mind. Just answering the original question with my point of view and reasoning. (The truth, I think, is that many performers haven't thought it through at all and simply use a headset because it seems easier.)

Beleive me I know all you guys are passionate and probably right on the money in terms of a hamdheld being the better way to fly. If I was to makethat change I would want to wade in with smaller events and venues to get accustomed to it. I have some major events coming up soon and I would be far to insecure to make that change without wading into it for awhile.

Mic handling is truly an art unto itself. I chose the lazy man's route but I'm comfy with it now.

Thanks Bob
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

You're right, though, mic handling technique seems to be becoming a lost art among many mentalists and magicians. (I learned it by watching great comedians and singers. Lenny Bruce and Dean Martin were masters.)
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Hand held all the way - with a mic stand for when I need both hands.
TEB3
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas
364 Posts

Profile of TEB3
Bob,

Just a thought from the depths of my brain. Should we make all new PEA members use a handheld when feeding the Goat? My mind boggles at how that's going to look!

TEB3/Lary/Traveler
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Mic (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL