The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Mic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I don't know. They already have the carrot in one hand. And the goat might eat the mic!
Johannes L.
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
692 Posts

Profile of Johannes L.
A lavalier microphone works extremely well, and just a quick switch when necessary.

So to reply to OP, hand held or head set? My answer is simply none of them.
The Rain Man Glimpse

Effect: The mentalist memorize any kind of information in less than a second. $5
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5134 Posts

Profile of Amirá
The best option for me is also the handheld. Sometimes I use a stand, sometimes I use a Gimrack, but with proper structure and staging in the performance, there is no worry.

We need to remember that the mic is a symbol of power on stage.

Best
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On Jan 27, 2015, John Linden wrote:
A lavalier microphone works extremely well, and just a quick switch when necessary.So to reply to OP, hand held or head set? My answer is simply none of them.

How to you amplify a participant's answers to your questions with a lavalier?

Also, you can't move a lavalier to modulate tone and volume, nor is it useful as a place to hide cribs, cover various moves, etc. As I said, I only use a lavalier when I'm on TV, where everyone's voice is amplified, either by lavaliers, booms, or additional hand-held mics.
Johannes L.
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
692 Posts

Profile of Johannes L.
Quote:
On Jan 27, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 27, 2015, John Linden wrote:
A lavalier microphone works extremely well, and just a quick switch in case I want to use the Dunninger ploy.

So to reply to OP, hand held or head set? My answer is simply none of them.

How to you amplify a participant's answers to your questions with a lavalier?

Also, you can't move a lavalier to modulate tone and volume, nor is it useful as a place to hide cribs, cover various moves, etc. As I said, I only use a lavalier when I'm on TV, where everyone's voice is amplified, either by lavaliers, booms, or additional hand-held mics.

I have a hand held microphone on a stand or resting on a table to hand to an participant joining me on stage.

Tone or volume? I use my voice for that, I do not scream on stage. The volume is set at a pleasant medium which allows me to speak normal tone with no fear of not being heard and also when I want to talk louder it won't be too loud since it already is on a pleasant medium.

I don't store cribs on a microphone I have them on the inside of the bag"door" on my open suitcase.

I don't use moves that needs to be covered by a microphone, I rather like to have my hands free while doing moves. I sometimes cover up one move in my newspaper prediction by grabbing a trashcan for them to throw in the discarded newspaper pieces.

The only problem with lavalier is that if you have a tie it sometimes can block the mic and make a swisching noise.
The Rain Man Glimpse

Effect: The mentalist memorize any kind of information in less than a second. $5
Johannes L.
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
692 Posts

Profile of Johannes L.
I also like to have my hands free to be able to gesticulate properly.
The Rain Man Glimpse

mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

It's just as easy to gesticulate with a hand-held. (Not sure what "proper" gesticulation is, though. Smile)

A hand-held, with proper technique, is far more versatile FOR ME. If a lavalier works better for you, that's great!

I've just tried to give all of the reasons why I use a hand-held.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
I love my Countryman E6 earset mic. Wireless, of course. But I also have a handheld mic handy for clients and masters-of-ceremony to introduce me.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Johannes L.
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
692 Posts

Profile of Johannes L.
Quote:
On Jan 27, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
It's just as easy to gesticulate with a hand-held. (Not sure what "proper" gesticulation is, though. Smile)

A hand-held, with proper technique, is far more versatile FOR ME. If a lavalier works better for you, that's great!

I've just tried to give all of the reasons why I use a hand-held.

I've seen you perform and you look very smooth with a hand-held and use it almost as if it just was a part or extension of your hand. You gesticulate naturally despite holding a microphone. I'm not as ...ehm.. fortunate. I tend to get sloppy with a hand-held mic and look more like a stand-up comedian with zero persona.

I ment "so I can gesticulate properly." - I spoke for myself. Sorry for the bad wording.
The Rain Man Glimpse

arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
I would imagine one con would be when you need to use both hands. As in standing back-to-back with a spectator with a drawing board in one hand and a pen in the other, ready to draw a duplicate of what they are drawing.
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
E.E.
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of E.E.
Hmm a microphone stand would solve that
I shall see you on the other side.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Then how do you hold the mic to your volunteer's mouth for reaction to your comments/questions?
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
E.E.
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of E.E.
Quote:
On Jan 27, 2015, arthur stead wrote:
Then how do you hold the mic to your volunteer's mouth for reaction to your comments/questions?

Two microphones and two stands Smile
I shall see you on the other side.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

In that case, I don't have to. They are close enough to the mic to be heard.

Arthur, I've been doing it this way for over thirty years and have a pretty good idea of what works and what doesn't. Obviously, when it is not convenient to mic the participant, I simply repeat anything she says for the benefit of the audience. Besides, most of the reactions are visual.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Bob, I would never doubt your experience. Just pointing out, perhaps to help for less seasoned performers, one of the possible cons to think about when deciding to use a hand-held mic. I'm not advocating against it. But there have been times when I've watched other performers (including mentalists) fall short when relying on a hand-held mic (even on a mic stand). If someone is going to do it, they'd better rehearse well and include the positioning of the mic in their blocking.
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Absolutely. I've always emphasized the importance of studying and learning proper mic technique. If you look back through this thread I've explained in detail the many advantages I believe a hand-held has for mentalists.

And I'm certainly not arguing that a hand-held is the EASIEST to use. But, what is easiest, is not something I necessarily consider to be the best. Very often, as Henry Hay once observed, the hard way is the easy way in the long run. (and sometimes the best way as well)
gothike
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of gothike
Both.

Headset- DPA corporate, Countryman for the rest. Sennheiser bodypack a with a mute switch. Sometimes I'll wear two with one used to communicate to a stage crew.

Most shows I have a headset on my girlfriend for added humor.

Shure wireless Sm58 with mute switch to mic volunteers.

Most shows illusions, sometimes just mentalism.

I do sometimes mute the headset and use the handheld because of the larger pickup pattern and proximity effects.
Control your Show Music from a PC from 800 ft away with a remote control. Send me a message to find out how......
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2366 Posts

Profile of C.J.
Quote:
On Jan 28, 2015, Johannes Lindqvist wrote:

The funny thing is that this is the main reason I STOPPED using a lavalier! My wild gesticulating would often bump the mic on my chest resulting in horrible rustles and booms. I liked what my hands were doing, so the answer was to change the mic rather than change the movements.
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
Johannes L.
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
692 Posts

Profile of Johannes L.
Quote:
On Feb 2, 2015, C.J. wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 28, 2015, Johannes Lindqvist wrote:

The funny thing is that this is the main reason I STOPPED using a lavalier! My wild gesticulating would often bump the mic on my chest resulting in horrible rustles and booms. I liked what my hands were doing, so the answer was to change the mic rather than change the movements.

You might have had a over-sensetive lavalier or placed it incorrectly.

It also depends on how frenetic you gesticulation is. Smile
The Rain Man Glimpse

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Head set.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Mic (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL