The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » "I'm not available that date, but..." (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Profile of Mikael Eriksson
What is the reason for saying things like that when people call to book you? You know things like:

"I'm not available that date, but the day after..."

"I'll check in my almanack..."

"I'm really busy with family stuff that day, but I'll save 2 hours for you..."

Marketing material say you should say stuff like this even though it's not true.

What is the purpose of this? What does it do? As far as I have understood it, it's supposed to raise your value on the market. I don't understand how. How does it give you more jobs? I can't see the logic.

Mikael
NormanMagic!
View Profile
New user
Portland, Maine
15 Posts

Profile of NormanMagic!
I have never heard someone lie about not being available and try to get the day after.

Sometimes when people call me, I sometimes say something along the lines of, "Hmm..let me check my schedule..I am booked for the evening, but I am available for your time, want me to hold that time for you?"

It helps give them a sense that you are busy. People always like to work with successful and busy people. Also it gives them a sense of urgency to book you now rather than later...

"This guy must be good, he is already booked that evening, Hey Bill, lets book him now before its too late." That kind of idea.

I hope that helps.

-Norman Ng
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Profile of Mikael Eriksson
Quote:
On 2004-02-04 15:30, NormanMagic! wrote:

People always like to work with successful and busy people. Also it gives them a sense of urgency to book you.

But how does it give me more jobs? They have already decided they want to book me when they call. They just want to know if I'm available.

Mikael

Quote:
On 2004-02-04 15:50, wmhegbli wrote:

Mikael,

When a potential client calls you, they have the upper hand and control of the conversation. This puts you on the defense answering questions and not vica versa...Most people that call only say what is your price. Then ask what kind of act do you do. Then hang up.

Not when they call me. They ask a few questions, then they tell me they want me. I have the control of the conversation. I don't think I have experienced what you describe.

I still wonder how it will get me more jobs?

Mikael
Scott Ocheltree
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of Scott Ocheltree
Quote:
On 2004-02-04 16:03, Mikael Eriksson wrote:
Not when they call me. They ask a few questions, then they tell me they want me. I have the control of the conversation. ...
I still wonder how it will get me more jobs?

Mikael

If when they call, they all say they want you, why do you wonder about these things?

I think NormanMagic! clearly stated the theory behind this strategy when he said:
Quote:
On 2004-02-04 15:30, NormanMagic! wrote:
It helps give them a sense that you are busy. People always like to work with successful and busy people. Also it gives them a sense of urgency to book you.

-Norman Ng

It is a technique to help close the sale during the initial call. The more shows you book the better you will do. If you already book 100% of your shows on the first call, you don't need to do anything different than what you're doing now.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Saying something like this helps your case even AFTER they have booked because if you appear busy and succesful they will feel safer in their decesion to hire you.

I.e. "I'm not alone in hiring this guy...lots of other people have to."

Since what we offer is so unique, people are often very unsure about their decesion. Sounding confident, intelligent and BUSY means that the two weeks between the booking and the event won't be stressful for the client as they wonder if they have made the right decesion.
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Everyone has given great insight on this question; I'll throw in my two cents.

When a client asks me if the date is available I sometimes will say I have a hold on the date from someone who called recently, but I haven't heard back from them yet. This conveys that I am in demand.

Then I suggest that they tell me a little about their event, and perhaps I can help them find someone appropriate. This takes the pressure off. Now I am offering to help them solve their entertainment problem. What I really want to do is to find out about the event to see if I am even interested in doing it.

If it is for a show I am not appropriate for or really do not want to do, I will suggest someone else. If it is for a show I really want, I then describe what I would do for them if I were available, and go into sales mode. Hopefully, they will want me when I finish. Then I offer to call the other client to find out if they still want the date. I wait five minutes or so, then call them back and say, "Great news, I am available."

This also serves another purpose. I reduces the haggling over price. Often they are so happy that I am available that they won't try to negotiate a lower fee.

As mentioned above the tactic gives me a bit more control and conveys that I am in demand.
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Uh-Oh... here I go again stirring up the pot again. (Hehehehe!)

Hey gang, how about the HONEST approach?

Really now, do we think we are creating real TRUST and quality "re-elationships" based on some marketing 'technique' that is founded in deceit?

I'm not sure we are...

Here’s a novel approach: “If you can help them, how about doing your BEST to HELP THEM?”

If you are NOT available, ask if they are 'stuck' on their day or HELP THEM get an appropriate solution via referral or what-not.

One of the real 'challenges' I see in the glut of new marketing materials flooding the market, (and YES, I too have success information available) is most offer:

"The Latest Cutting-Edge TECHNIQUES for Slaying The Competition and Booking Boat-Load of Gigs, With-Out Raising a Bead Of Sweat!"

…type information and barely bother to offer up the idea of good ol' fashioned integrity and elbow grease because it won't SELL their Books!

I mean who would buy: “How To Book Show Through Sales! – Real, Proven Strategies For Working Harder and Getting More Results… Guaranteed!” – Not nearly as sexy, is it? (And it sure ain’t the name of MY book either!) But it’s TRUE!

If it doesn't sound sexy, easy to do and like a "magic bullet' solution to creating a "Mega-Money Machine With Virtually NO Work" type book, folks are less likely to BUY.

It’s just the nature of the beast.

That said, JIM's Book is one of the most HONEST, real-world solutions based courses available. He absolutely tells you like it IS based on 30+ YEARS of real-world, in the trenches EXPERIENCE! – GET HIS BOOK! I have it and I LOVE it cuz it’s HONEST and TRUE! Notice, he doesn’t promise you you’ll become a millionaire or sky rocket your success in the firs 7 days… and neither do I.

Now of-course I’m NOT say that ALL other books and courses are “this way” necessarily, but THAT is what they are selling, isn't it?

I will re-state the question: “How About Just Booking The Show And Being HONEST?” Isn’t THAT a better way to genuinely support the solution that your business friends really need most?

My business isn’t what it is today cuz I have better “techniques”, it’s because I have better FRIENDS and relationships who also happen to PAY me cuz they TRUST me to be after THEIR best interest instead of MINE or some slick “marketing technique”.

A responsibility and honor I take in earnest!

Truth be told, JIM books HIS Shows this way Too! – Right Brother?

Am I off-base here?

Just a question.

I am at your service and In HIS Service,
Deano
<><
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
My style is honesty.

I ask them for their name, mailing address, phone number and get complete show details when they make an incoming call to me. Then, I give them RELEVANT show information that meets their needs, and then quote fees. After that, I ask for the booking, and usually they book the show.

Because I save the fee information for the end of the conversation does not mean I am not being honest. It does mean I want to be informed, so I will have a Win-Win relationship with my customer.

Perhaps it's because I work a little harder to build rapport with the prospect, but people will often give you that information if you just ask. You don't need to maneuver, manipulate, and play the "I'll call you back and have the upper hand" game.

Mikael knows (from a conversation on another thread in the "Little Darlings" forum) that when people call and ask only about rates, it is because they are not experienced at hiring entertainment. They really aren't sure what information they need, and just assume that date and rate (and perhaps a brief description of the show and length) is all they need to make an INFORMED decision. An INFORMED decision means that they need a lot of information (or at least enough of the RIGHT information).

IN REALITY, you can serve the customer better, the more you know about them and their situation.

As I said, honesty works well for me.

(By the way, if you are in the yellow pages, you will have more calls where the first question they ask is "How much?" Just an observation.)

Now the reason that people play the game of "I'm busy when really I'm not" is something called "positioning." They are trying to position themselves to make themselves a little more elusive to the customer. The reason for that is, often people want what they can't have EVEN MORE.

However, it is not necessary to "position" yourself if you have the proper customer relation skills.

Mikael, as was stated before, it is also not necessary to "position" yourself if you are already selling the majority of your incoming calls.

- The Gr8 DonaldD.

P.S. I might suggest that Bill was being sarcastic in his comment about The Dean and others not knowing anything about selling. Dean knows plenty about relationships, and he knows about happy customers, and he knows about selling. In fact, I made over $2000 in real-world show bookings from one idea that Dean shared with me last fall. Wow!
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Dean,

I just love it when you stir up the pot!

I admit, I'm with you on this one. Honesty is always the best policy in business, and in most cases I am upfront with every client about my availability.

However, when a client asks early in the converstion if I am available on a certain date and what do I charge, even before we have determined whether I am the right performer for the event, I will sometimes say that I have something else "penciled in," or that I have something else tentatively scheduled.

The event tentatively "penciled in" may be a day shopping with my wife, but I say this for two reasons.

One, to give me a graceful "out" should I decide I don't really want to work with this person. Someone who is only interested in "filling a slot with the cheapest act," and not interested in booking the right person for the event, is not my ideal prospect. Invariably, the booking ends being one I wish I did not take.

The other reason, is to move the conversation from an adversarial, negotiation to a collaborative relationship of trying to solve a problem or meet a client's need. I can say in all honesty that I may not be available, but perhaps I can help them find the right person.

Then I ask probing questions, like "what type of event is it", and, more importantly, "what is your budget range?" Because I am now offering to help them find the appropriate act, they are more likely to tell me what they were looking to spend.

When they respond, "I'm not really sure, what do magicians charge?" I can answer, "It depends, I can recommend performers who charge anywhere from $500-$5,000. Which end of that range are you considering?"

Because we are not negotiating my fee, they are more likely to answer honestly what their budget allows.

Now, if they say $5000, I may reconsider my previous plans to go shopping with my wife!

I will then ask more questions about the event to find out if I am the right performer. If it is a good fit, I can always offer to double check my schedule to "see if I am available."

If I feel the person is being less than honest with me, of I feel I cannot work with them for some other reason (personal or political conflicts, for example), I can back out of the potential gig without causing anyone any embarrassment or hurting anyone's feelings. "Gee, I'm sorry I'm not available, let me recommend someone else who can do a great job."

Also, I don't want to potentially embarrass anyone who calls looking for a performer, but has a small budget. Sometimes when they learn that my fee is ten times what they have budgeted, they get apologetic about bothering me.

Hey, it's no bother helping people with their entertainment or event needs. That's the business I'm in. If I can help them get the right performer within their budget, they may remember how helpful I was someday when they have a larger budget.

Deano, isn't' that what you mean by "re-elationship" marketing?
Jim Snack

www.success-in-magic.com
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Brother Jim,

You are so RIGHT-ON!

I absolutely love your integrity and you model well for all of us brother!

We are all blessed by your contributions!

All, heed well the teachings of the venerable Mr. Snack! No one likes to be “techniqued” to death, the only wish for the solutions you can support them with. – No one closes sales with TECHNIQUES, they close sale with value. I’m with ya’ on that one bud!

Love ya' bro!

Just another 'share'.

I am at your service and In HIS Service,
Deano
<><
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Dean knows more about marketing and about sales then any man I have ever known.

His ideas and concepts and suggestions have been a HUGE help for me in gorwing my business. Infact if not for Dean, I would not be on my way this year of DOUBLING my gigs. That is right I said double.

Just from Dean's ideas and suggestions and his approach towards marketing, I have learned more then I ever will.

The best part about it, he gives his information out for FREE to anyone willing enough to ask for it.

He will always be a friend in my book.

Not many people with his vast knowledge are that thoughtful enough to share their information with others.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Kyle brother, I love ya' but you gotta get out more! (Hehehehehehe!)

Just funnin' with ya'

Your comments touch me deeply and I am profoundly honored by your sentiments and successes!

Bless you brother!
Deano
<><

PS
It is KYLE who took the ACTION necessary to improve his lifestyle... we only encouraged him and what truly IS capable of.

For this, I deserve ZERO credit.

Kudos to “YOU” brother!

Funny, that same information is FREE to all the others as well, and yet YOU chose to DO something... THAT is the magic!

Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2004-02-05 19:30, Jim Snack wrote:
If I feel the person is being less than honest with me, of I feel I cannot work with them for some other reason (personal or political conflicts, for example), I can back out of the potential gig without causing anyone any embarrassment or hurting anyone's feelings. "Gee, I'm sorry I'm not available, let me recommend someone else who can do a great job."

Another way I have learned to do this, Jim, is as follows.

When I am early in the phone conversation, just after I built "Rapport", to bridge to the next phase, I say something along the lines of, "Would it be OK if I asked you a few questions so I can fully understand your situation? I don't want to recommend our show to you unless it is a good fit with what you are trying to accomplish."

Then I proceed to the "Interest" phase of the sales process (my Dale Carnegie Sales Advantage Training showing through, Dean will tell you Smile ) and I can ask them the questions I wish to have answered.

Then I can bridge onto the "Solutions" phase after that, and proceed to offer solutions that are tailored to their unique needs.

However, if I feel it is not right to proceed into the "Solutions" phase, I can say "It sounds like my shows would not be a good fit for you, and what you are trying to accomplish. Here is something / someone that I recommend instead..."

I am not saying that I am unavailable. I am being honest with them and telling them that I don't feel the show is a good fit. I don't feel there is a need to let the prospect "save face" in this case, because I have already told them that I intend to find out if our shows are a good fit, and recommend a course of action based on that information.

Note to those who are interested: I always use the wording, "I recommend our shows to you...", or "I recommend this person for you..."

Prospects respond very well to a "recommendation" (even if it is yourself and your show), if you have taken the time to be interested in them and their situation, and genuinely feel you have enough information to make a recommendation that will benefit them.

- The Gr8 DonaldD.

P.S. On another note, even if my shows are not within their budget, I still offer to send along an information package. Sometimes with our promotional materials in hand and because of a terrific conversation, all of the sudden the budget seems to grow a little larger, to accomodate our show this time around. Of course, I am talking about sending along a kit if I would normally recommend our show to them. Otherwise, no.
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Along the same lines as Donald, I choose to be forthright from the beginning as a true "Help-Professional" and it has served me and my relationships incredibly well.

Instead of alluding to my availability at all, (as a positioning tool/technique) I position myself as the "Solutions Provider They Can Count On and TRUST" for the RIGHT and correct solution for THEM and their situation, EVEN if it's NOT me.

I often say: (as I am building re-elationship – as an example…)

"Ya' know, I'm not sure I'm gunna' be the right solution for you, and your event. (What-ever that may be) May I ask you a few questions to see if I can be of value to you?

No worries, I'll be the first-one to let you know if I'm NOT the best solution for your situation right up-front. Whether I am or whether I'm not, I promise I won't turn you over to the yellow-pages (That is just ME…) and WILL help you GET what you want, need, and is "just-right" for YOU and your (Event, situation, party, casino, wedding... what-ever!) Someone you can trust that I would be proud to have at MY-OWN event" (Event, situation, party, casino, wedding... what-ever!)

Get the idea?

That's just a peek, but I think you get the idea that it is a MUCH stronger "position" as you are only out for THIER best outcomes and are THE "expert" when it comes to supporting THEM with what THEY need, and NOT just a old sales "technique" that only serves to get what YOU want.

Just a ‘share’… That's all.

AGAIN, this is JUST my experience based on the real-results I've gotten for my relationships using this type of "Re-Elationship, Trust-Factor" selling/marketing over the last 25, 30 years.

- Brother Bill,

If I can be of some value, support or encouragement to you, it would truly be my pleasure.

I remain at your service and In HIS Service,
Deano
<><

PS
In all those same 'sales' books we've all read it refers to the notion that people do NOT want to be SOLD, rather they wish to freely choose to BUY.

HELP them to BUY.

dreidy
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
156 Posts

Profile of dreidy
I'd recommend being as honest as possible. I think it's ok to 'gild the lily' just a little when it comes to "Oh, I think I can squeeze you in.' but that's about as far as I'd go.

I don't do magic professionally, but I do do some computer consulting during my holiday breaks. Last holidays much of my 'computer' consulting was fixing up legal problems for one of the companies I regularly consult for (I have a law degree that I don't use much). Nine out of ten cases I was fixing came from 'over selling' the company's products and services. No one set out to be dishonest, but the marketing took over from common honesty and in the end it cost them tens of thousands of dollars to fix up the mess - generally in work they had done and were then unable to charge for.

So please, stay as close to the truth as possible, I would much rather have been designing software than settling unneccessary litigation.

David.
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Thanks Dean, Donald and David.

You guys are right on the money with this approach - it's staight forward and honest. What a novelty!

I'm going to change my tactic in the future - never to old to learn new techniques! Thanks.

Jim
Jim Snack

www.success-in-magic.com
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Dean:

It must be the cold medication talking. hehehe Smile

You are right in that I did and am taking action this yera more then I ever have. it was you and others that helped light that fire under my feet. For that I will always be grateful.

I think you must always be honest in your communications to clients. I want honesty from my clients and I want respect as well. If I can not do that on my end, why do I expect any different from my clients. I think by doing this, I present a level of professionalism and I think I start to earn their trust in me that I can meet their needs.

I am also honest to tell them, after listneing to their needs for the event, that I may not be a perfect fit for them. if this takes place, I give them names of people in my network whom I trust and respect and I try to set the client up with this person.

I find that the client really appreciates this and appreciates me setting it up and going out of my way to do so. Too many magicians may just say no and leave them hanging. By me doing this, I often find that the client will come back to me later down the road and book me for a gig that I can do for them.

It has worked for me and I find my client's appreciate it when I do it this way. Just my 2 cents worth.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2004-02-06 02:30, TheDean wrote:
PS
In all those same 'sales' books we've all read it refers to the notion that people do NOT want to be SOLD, rather they wish to freely choose to BUY.

HELP them to BUY.

Hey, I know a great quote that compliments what Dean said here. It's in my signature on another forum:

"When you SEE your client through your client's EYES,
You'll SELL to your client when your client BUYS!"

I first heard it in my Dale Carnegie Sales Advantage Class, and have seen it in books since then (possibly in "How I Raised Myself From Failure To Success In Selling", by Frank Bettger?) It may have had the words "John Smith" instead of "your client" in the original quote.

- The Gr8 DonaldD.
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
See, there's all kinds of smart folks around here!

Woo Hoo!

You guys are AWESOME!

Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Let's have a quick review of what we learned from this thread.

It is weaker to use the "positioning" tool of being ELUSIVE. (ie. "I don't have that date/time open, let me call you back, etc.")

It is stronger to use the "positioning" tool of being EXCLUSIVE. (And by that I don't mean to exclude them, but rather being their exclusive choice, that they choose to make: ie. "I can provide ALL the solutions you need, even if I personally am not available. Tell me about your unique needs and challenges, and because I have your best interests at heart, I'll work with you to find your BEST solution." You don't need to be an agent to use this tool.) Position yourself as their CONSULTANT, that they want and need.

WooHoo!

- The Gr8 DonaldD.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » "I'm not available that date, but..." (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL