The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Wizard Magic Review » » Wizard Product Review Announcement 28-1-15 (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1788 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
There are several other review shows but they are all painful to watch. Very dry presenters, who all play it safe. Most of them give up after four episodes (like Penguin Magic Review show) or have already dropped eps after just five episodes in (magicworld). Some have been all over the place in content and watchability (Practical magic) and others just had no idea what they wanted to do (Alakazam), and simply were trying to copy World Magic Shop's formula.

To be fair to them, they saw the hatred that the magic community put upon Dave and Craig and so wanted the benefits of extra sales without the consequences. But they are all copying them and its in pour taste to see them try and copy what WMS did, to try and steal their audience from them. But you cannot host a review show and play it nice all the time. You will get bad products and you need to be honest about them in order to be trusted. The Murphy review show is in danger of just not being honest enough, so the review becomes pratically useless.

Whoever owns a magic shop has tried doing their own review show. They quickly learnt its not as easy as they make it look and so most lasted just a few episodes. There is no subsitute for the Wizard Product Review, and even without Craig, its still miles ahead of its nearest competition.
EkaterinaMagic
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of EkaterinaMagic
Hi guys, I don't post on forums much (hardly ever actually), but I happen to 'search' my name on here and found that a few of you have found some of my reviews helpful.

I found this thread and reading your requests for potential other review shows, I will humbly post a link to mine: http://bit.ly/EkaterinaMagicReviews

I review products on a weekly basis that are either requested by my subscribers or that I find interesting. I am not associated with any magic company and I don't own an e-commerce website, so my main objective is to help those that are looking for an in-depth overview of the product prior to purchase. In addition, I provide a real-world performance of each trick, so some people just tune in for that section.

I'd like to give props to WPR, I believe they started 4 years ago and it is not easy to keep a weekly quality upload schedule. It takes a lot of time and you have to have thick skin to deal with negative comments and feedback. Well done guys.

Thanks,
Ekaterina
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
Ekaterina, I watched a couple of your reviews. Very good job. You have a new fan.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Jan 30, 2015, EkaterinaMagic wrote:
Hi guys, I don't post on forums much (hardly ever actually), but I happen to 'search' my name on here and found that a few of you have found some of my reviews helpful.

I found this thread and reading your requests for potential other review shows, I will humbly post a link to mine: http://bit.ly/EkaterinaMagicReviews

I review products on a weekly basis that are either requested by my subscribers or that I find interesting. I am not associated with any magic company and I don't own an e-commerce website, so my main objective is to help those that are looking for an in-depth overview of the product prior to purchase. In addition, I provide a real-world performance of each trick, so some people just tune in for that section.

I'd like to give props to WPR, I believe they started 4 years ago and it is not easy to keep a weekly quality upload schedule. It takes a lot of time and you have to have thick skin to deal with negative comments and feedback. Well done guys.

Thanks,
Ekaterina

Good reviews and you are much easier on the eyes than the WPR ppl.

KJ
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Quote:
On Jan 31, 2015, ku7uk3 wrote:
There are several other review shows but they are all painful to watch. Very dry presenters, who all play it safe. Most of them give up after four episodes (like Penguin Magic Review show) or have already dropped eps after just five episodes in (magicworld). Some have been all over the place in content and watchability (Practical magic) and others just had no idea what they wanted to do (Alakazam), and simply were trying to copy World Magic Shop's formula.

To be fair to them, they saw the hatred that the magic community put upon Dave and Craig and so wanted the benefits of extra sales without the consequences. But they are all copying them and its in pour taste to see them try and copy what WMS did, to try and steal their audience from them. But you cannot host a review show and play it nice all the time. You will get bad products and you need to be honest about them in order to be trusted. The Murphy review show is in danger of just not being honest enough, so the review becomes pratically useless.

Whoever owns a magic shop has tried doing their own review show. They quickly learnt its not as easy as they make it look and so most lasted just a few episodes. There is no subsitute for the Wizard Product Review, and even without Craig, its still miles ahead of its nearest competition.

Hmmm. I don't really see Alkazam's vlog as being in any way similar to WPR, either in concept or delivery. It's a good old fashioned dealer dem, plain and simple. They don't pretend anything else. If you find that dry, then fair enough, but your analysis is sketchy at best.
mwmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
262 Posts

Profile of mwmagic
EkaterinaMagic

Thanks
Clean, clear, great quality video,
Just subscribed.
I love it already
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Looks like it will be every 1st and 3rd week. But I don't have to "remember" as I am subscribed to the channel so it shows up anyway. Another thing I like about the WPR is no stupid ads.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
Beltorak
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Beltorak
Sad, no WPR today! The Bi-Weekly is not working for me, not because I can not watch it, well, it is on the internet, one will be able to watch it anytime anywhere - but until now, it was kind of a set time, every week, it was already a tradition. I do find it important, if you want to keep the viewers, that you air always at the same time, at the same day. Look what happened to the guy's from Balcony Production, the last review is from 6 Month ago, in the beginning I was checking out there website - now I moved on. I believe that viewers are losing interest, what is difference to other review shows? I also had the habit to check out the Online Shop after the Review Show, maybe because there was a special deal or just to see what is new. What about the those deals, will they be valid for 2 weeks now? No, this is somehow not working for me. I also liked the format with Craig, the new thing with real audience? - also not working for me, it is just to "loud", to much a sales pitch. I do not want to hear what the audience things about a trick - it's just not a valid opinion. With Dave, one was able to get a single opinion on a Trick, or even suggestions what might be better than the "new" one. So, I guess, for me, WPR, will be just another Review Show, that I sometimes watch...and sometimes not.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Feb 2, 2015, sirbrad wrote:
Looks like it will be every 1st and 3rd week. But I don't have to "remember" as I am subscribed to the channel so it shows up anyway. Another thing I like about the WPR is no stupid ads.

Looks like NOT. This is the first week, last week there was no show.

I am really going to miss the show every week, but I am not going to make it my new job to try to remember when they are on and when they are not. I'll just go elsewhere.

Maybe they will reconsider and bring it back every week. I also didn't agree with the idea that "there isn't enough good magic to have a weekly show". The whole purpose of the show was to present the good, the bad, and the ugly. I want to see a review of good and bad weekly. Something may look good in the trailer, but not be good when reviewed. And, seeing both good and bad is more entertaining.

KJ
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
It should have been today unless they counted that segment last week which they shouldn't have. Unless they meant two weeks from then. But I know it is hard to pick out of so much material and have a quality review and show in a week for so long. Technically they can't review the items based on no real-world experience and less than a week using it. But it still made for an entertaining show. People bashed them for not having mastered an effect in a "half an hour" but that is a moot point as this is a product review show not a life performance for laymen. I used to love the old demo tapes, no BS or fluff just trick after trick for hours allowing me to make my own unbiased decisions.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Quote:
On Feb 4, 2015, 1KJ wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 2, 2015, sirbrad wrote:

Looks like NOT. This is the first week, last week there was no show.

I am really going to miss the show every week, but I am not going to make it my new job to try to remember when they are on and when they are not. I'll just go elsewhere.

Maybe they will reconsider and bring it back every week. I also didn't agree with the idea that "there isn't enough good magic to have a weekly show". The whole purpose of the show was to present the good, the bad, and the ugly. I want to see a review of good and bad weekly. Something may look good in the trailer, but not be good when reviewed. And, seeing both good and bad is more entertaining.

KJ

Looks like it IS tonight. From Facebook: "Tune in for this week's Wizard Product Review. 12 o'Clock on a Wednesday. Midnight This week only!" So I guess UK time that is less than an hour from now.
COB
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of COB
Wednesdays will never be the same or at least every second one won't.
MJE
View Profile
Elite user
After all these years,I STILL have only
409 Posts

Profile of MJE
I guess doing it with an audience has it's benefits....just not for the viewer. I'm all for experimentation and appreciate what they are trying to do. I just don't care for it, myself, and it is apparent that I'm not alone in that assessment. I wish them all the best and hope that they continue to make any attempts they feel like making to mix things up. I don't think any of us want them to become bored with the whole thing, so the occasional failure is to be expected. It's still well worth watching, and whatever change they come up with next could be a real winner. Let's stay tuned and find out.
Low Key
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of Low Key
Where's Wednesday's episode?

Or have I got my dates wrong?
I'm sure we were due one this week, but no link here or in the newsletter.

Have I missed an announcement?
Uncle Joe
View Profile
Regular user
Japan
194 Posts

Profile of Uncle Joe
Yes, it has definetly changed. The live audience setup is similar to 'Top Gear'.
Dave isn't Jeremy Clarkson. I think Dave's constant put downs towards Craig
eventually took it's toll and Shawn has learned to just to play the game by Dave's rules.
The best combination would be Craig and Shawn.
Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
What are some other review shows besides WPR? I've burned through Jamie D. Grants Magic friday reviews recently, so I need some new stuff to fill in the gaps between WPR episodes.

And as far as the format change. My honest feelings about it are negative. While they might be "spinning" it as a positive. It comes down to time, and money. And they are trying to slant that line a little more in their favor, which as a business is smart.

But as a customer / viewer, it is still a negative. You could at least be straight up about it, Just say it... We can make just as much money and get just as much promotion, doing half the work. That's the reason for our new format. Done.

At least I would respect that.
Bill
View Profile
Veteran user
and Pretty Nice Guy
373 Posts

Profile of Bill
Yeah, I've pretty much lost interest as well. Used to look forward to it as it was also like visiting with friends. I think something else will come along pretty soon. By the way, the Shift sure went down hill from mediocre didn't it?
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2482 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Yeah, their format change really ruined it all, despite their own opinion
My favorites right now are Jeff Stones magic reviewed and Alakazam vlog
Don't try to compare them all, as they are quite different, though
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Feb 16, 2016, Head Case wrote:
What are some other review shows besides WPR?

http://www.mylovelyassistant.com/reviews/user/1373 For written reviews and watch his YouTube channel for video reviews (search YouTube for "magic reviewed Jeff Stone"

Ekaterina Dobrokhotova also has a good review show on YouTube.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
magic Leonard
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of magic Leonard
Hi, I was wondering why Mr. Dominik is no longer on the forum ? I saw the video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dfBmsKk14o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPC4kBLvFBQ

I feel great, I wanted some information about the gimmick , if someone owns it already .
Watching the video it seems impossible that a bill signed ends in a lemon wrapped in aluminum foil , in a sealed bag inside another bag. I think Platinum bill in lemon is the most brilliant of all the other versions on the market .
Advise if you have one .
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Wizard Magic Review » » Wizard Product Review Announcement 28-1-15 (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL