The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Hopping Half set and C/S coin are shiny (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nightcrawler
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Nightcrawler
Hi Guys,

I just received my first C/S coins and a Hopping Half set (both from Johnson). I was very surprised, when I saw that the parts with the English Pennys are shiny. They look freshly minted!
Is that normal? My regular English Pennys have a patina look.

What do you do to match the gaffs with the regular Pennys? Do you tarnish the Hopping Half set and the C/S coin or do you remove the patina look from your regular English Pennys?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Nightcrawler
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5003 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Everyone does it differently, some say just handle them a lot and they will darken soon enough, some use chemicals... I polish all of my coins for consistency and I think the shine adds more than the patina (others disagree) either way, do what YOU want. you may even want to shine everything up once and let them patina together over time and use. The key is to be consistent. You can't do a routine with a badly aged gaff then pass out mint coins for examination.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).






Smile Smile
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2019 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Jan 28, 2015, Poof-Daddy wrote:
you may even want to shine everything up once and let them patina together over time and use.


I favor that approach, but would be careful of the process used. A good copper polish might shine them up real nice, but might also provide a protective quality that would hinder subsequent oxidation. Depending on how dark they are an old fashioned pink pencil eraser may be all that's needed to shine things up, and probably doesn't leave much/any coating behind.

While "shiny" can look nice, when not viewed up close it can be harder to tell a shiny copper coin from a shiny silver one. A dull, dark copper coin provides greater contrast.

To get them to darken, handle them a lot and leave them out in the air vs sealed up in plastic coin holders.
I've also found that by storing them in a _cheap_ unlined leather purse the chemicals from the tanning process can also help to darken them.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5003 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Jan 28, 2015, inigmntoya wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 28, 2015, Poof-Daddy wrote:
you may even want to shine everything up once and let them patina together over time and use.


I favor that approach, but would be careful of the process used. A good copper polish might shine them up real nice, but might also provide a protective quality that would hinder subsequent oxidation. Depending on how dark they are an old fashioned pink pencil eraser may be all that's needed to shine things up, and probably doesn't leave much/any coating behind.

While "shiny" can look nice, when not viewed up close it can be harder to tell a shiny copper coin from a shiny silver one. A dull, dark copper coin provides greater contrast.

To get them to darken, handle them a lot and leave them out in the air vs sealed up in plastic coin holders.
I've also found that by storing them in a _cheap_ unlined leather purse the chemicals from the tanning process can also help to darken them.


I bought a purse for $10 (leather,cheap, unlined, holds several coins) turned all my silver jet black in a week but barely effected the English Pennies. Go figure.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).






Smile Smile
snowpuppy
View Profile
Veteran user
Juneau,Alaska
323 Posts

Profile of snowpuppy
I've done a search with no avail,...I want to age the Silver side only of a C/S coin,...will the bleach/water suggestion affect the copper side?
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5003 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Jan 31, 2015, snowpuppy wrote:
I've done a search with no avail,...I want to age the Silver side only of a C/S coin,...will the bleach/water suggestion affect the copper side?


yes it will. but you can dab on the bleach/water with a Q-tip on the silver side only, a little at a time until you get the desired result. In that case, the copper will not be affected (as long as you don't keep it in an air tight container while applying it and waiting.)
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).






Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Hopping Half set and C/S coin are shiny (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL