The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Abbott's Canvas Covered Box (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Ok I just got, hopefully, an Abbott's Canvas Covered Box today. Is there any way to Verify it? I already sent pics to Abbotts and they did say it Does look like one. Now the problem is the Wing Nuts are Missing and the Washers. Also, there's no rope to lace the bag up with. Anyone have any information on this- as when they began making them, etc.

Don,
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Nice. Where did you find it? Man you must be pretty happy getting that!
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
KSD I found it on one of the Magic sites in their USED stuff. when I seen the Price tag on I figured I'll take it. Total cost was under $368.00 compared to a new one at $3,500.00 I figured go with the old one. it does need some work no Wing Nuts or washers came with it. the bag is a bit torn the wheels on it need to be greased. it looks a Bit beat up but then again I heard Houdini had a Metamorphosis Trunk that was Beat up too. Don,
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
If the bag is worn on the corners you can get leather corner caps like they use on trunks and rivet them on with backing washers on the inside. Then pad the backings with felt. Great buy! I think its much better to get old props and conserve them. They have a special look that you can't get with new stuff.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
KSD the Bag itself there is a slight tear where one of the Grommetts is. plus supposedly it got shrunk I'm not sure how tight it is supposed to be. but after I get the proper stuff for it I should be Happy with it I am now. but I do want to be evreything works on it proper just need to get a bag for it to and the second bag I mean by the one the person goes into. Don,
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I'm glad I'm not the only one who owns one of these. I think my bag has been replaced by the previous owner (I'm only the second owner). I don't believe this (at least from the 1940's when mine was purchased) came with or was made with wheels. You should also have 2 lids hopefully, one gaffed, one not. Mine also came with a small tool on a keychain with a tiny OLD metal flashlight. The tool is to loosen the nuts on the t**p d**r, the flashlight to see what the heck you're doing. I also have original Abbotts instructions for it. Did you know the Canvas Covered Box is one illusion that Abbotts (or I've been told) never made blueprints available for? If you'd like, I could get you a copy of my instructions. They're pretty brittle and yellowed, but I think I could handle that. Do you have a pic you could email me?

Steve Thomas
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Steve Thomas Yes I do have a Picture Available. I'm not sure how old mine is. I did not receive the tool thing or even know of it. I'm also missing the wing nuts and washers as well as the rope. mine is a bit beat up and kinda rusted. I don't have any instructions on it. but mine did come with wheels on it theres even holes in the bottom of the bag I'm figuring for the wheels to go thru. if you want e-mail me at thekeymaker@mail.com now all I have to do is order the Escape Cabinet and Spirit Bag From Abbotts. Don,
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I have a mint unit that was made for John Frye an old Chautauqua performer. In fact, I remember seeing him perform in 6th grade.

He had two units, one that he had just about wore out and this replacement. He apparently never used this as he passed away. It is milled wood to a 5/8 thickness, with reinforcements at the bolt holes which are important to keep it from rounding out. Even when you know where the gimmick it is, it is very hard to find.

I have seen Denny Haney (Denny & Lee) perform this many time as I have with Bob Higa. I still think it is much stronger ,though not as fast , than a regular sub trunk.

John Frye had the older boys build the box on stage and then they held the corner of the tent (closed on top for the switch). It was a very strong effect.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
constantine
View Profile
Regular user
Memphi, on the Mighty Muddy
189 Posts

Profile of constantine
You can see Danney proform the box on the video "Danny and Lee at the Wells Theatre"From Danny&Lee.Performance only tape.
Constatine 49%er
“The way of the transgressor is hard—to quit.”
—Jefferson Randolph “Soapy” Smith
Randi
View Profile
New user
USA
2 Posts

Profile of Randi
Don: I worked with the ACCB all over the world, only to have it stolen by a now-deceased magician, years ago. I used to pack the "trick" lid inside the assembled box itself, covered with the ungimmicked lid, and along with the break-down screen and canvas cover, etc., and encourage the placing of travel labels, hotel stickers, and routing/shipping labels all over it. That made it an attractive stage prop, a regular "packing case" that was actually used as such. Most of my travel in Europe, Asia, and the UK was by train, so it got well "weathered" and looked great!

I peeled off stickers that got placed on the shipping lid, and re-affixed them to the trick lide -- arranging them so that they actually enhanced the genuine appearance of the lid.... Got you interested?

James Randi
The James Randi Educational Foundation
201 S.E. 12th Street
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA 33316
1-954-467-1112 (phone)
1-954-467-1660 (fax)
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Randi Very Interested if your who I think you are please PM me. Don,
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Abbott's Canvas Covered Box (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL