The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Hollow 2 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Martin Reinertz
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of Martin Reinertz
Hey,

I would like to hear your opinion on this: I found this description of Hollow 2 (which probably is the standard description) on several dealers' websites:

---
"A card punched with a small hole is displayed, and shown on both sides. The performer then removes a magnifying glass and holds it over the hole to let a spectator have a closer look. While the spectator is looking through the glass, the magician moves his finger back and forth under the enlarged hole. While talking about how dramatically things seem to grow under the magnifying glass, the performer holds the glass a bit further away from the card, making the hole look even bigger. When the magnifying glass is removed, the hole has unbelievably grown to a huge size! The performer holds the magnifying glass above the hole again and it visually shrinks back to its original size! Everything is then handed out for examination."
---

Now, my question is: Don't you think this is a bit misleading (especially for beginners) since, as everybody will know who owns the trick, it doesn't work that way... after all, it cannot JUST be handed out for examination. And certainly, not EVERYTHING can be handed out for examination...

Hollow and Hollow 2 are great tricks, no doubt. But shouldn't trick descriptions actually be accurate?
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Man youv'e hit upon my hot button!

Not only should they be accurate, they should be complete. That is, not leaving out details that wil create dissapointment in the purchaser upon paying hard earned money. then opening up the package to discover the deception.

I've purchased literally thousands and thousands of dollars worth of effects over the years, and I have run into this problem time after time after time.

It makes me downright mad, that's what it does.

The only word that comes to mind is the name of a Paul Harris effect. "THE ULTIMATE RIPOFF!!!"
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
Yes, you are right. But that's what it looks like to the audience when you perform the effect. You hand out the card, magnifying glass etc... The deck has nothing to do. I am not sure about showing the card on both sides though.

Yes, it could have been described a bit better.

But what do you think of the effect, Martin. Hollow 1 is currently one of my favourites. Does it stand next to it. I have seen it performed live by Menny himself, but I would like to know about the specs' reactions. Hollow gets great reactions.
Yours,

Ivan
Martin Reinertz
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Niva,
don't get me wrong on this... both Hollow and Hollow 2 ware VERY strong and good effects that can completely blow your spectators away.

However, the description doesn't even make mention of a deck! It just mentions the card itself - against this background, the statement "Everything can be handed out for examination" is not only inaccurate, imho it's a straight lie.
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
No, no. I agree with you Martin. I was just asking for a review now. Because I really like Hollow 1 and am now considering the sequel.

And I think everyone will agree that the gimmick is very well made. Mine at least is.
Yours,

Ivan
Martin Reinertz
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Oh... as stated both effects are stunners ;-) The first version of the Hollow 1 gimmick was very fragile. I believe, Hollow now comes with a fourth generation gimmick and it IS very well made and will last quite long if handled with reasonable care.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Hollow 2 (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL