The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Newbie Going to the Magic Castle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

karnak
View Profile
Special user
Colorado
630 Posts

Profile of karnak
My wife and I are planning a trip to Southern CA for our 14th anniversary this year (mid-April), and are planning on visiting the Magic Castle (for the first time). However, since we've never been there before, we actually know very little about it, and don't quite know what to expect, or how the place "works."

We'll be staying one night at the Magic Castle Hotel, which as I understand it means we will be granted admission to the Castle for that same evening. So I guess that takes care of the need for an invitation, as well as the entrance fee (?).

But is dinner in its restaurant required? I've heard conflicting things. Can't we eat elsewhere first, and then simply come for the show(s)?

Also, once inside for the evening, how does attending the various shows play out? Are there separate additional admission fees for each show attended, or is the standard entrance fee "all-inclusive"? And are reservations required or advisable for each individual show, or is it simply first-come, first-served (or first-seated) at each show?

(If it makes any difference, we'll be attending during a weeknight, not on the weekend.)

I'm just pretty much in the dark about how things operate at the Magic Castle. Any additional clarifications, or suggestions or advice, would be greatly appreciated!
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3636 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Dinner is not required. They have a nice restaurant, so if you want to eat, make a reservation. Wear a jacket and tie, the ladies are all dressed to the "9's". Shows are first come, first served. Make yourself at home and visit the many bars. Time it so you can see all of the performers - times are posted on placards. Everywhere you look is something interesting, don't be afraid to ask questions. Also say "hi" or introduce yourself to any famous people you happen to see. And if you see Pop Hydn, tell him Jim from Louisville said "hi"
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Colorado
630 Posts

Profile of karnak
Thanks!
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1576 Posts

Profile of Ihop
,have fun! I'm jealous.
Ihor
Kbuck54
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of Kbuck54
I'm jealous.
One of these days, before my days run out, I'll make that journey.
Keith Shazam
SHAZAM!
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
Call the Magic Castle and ask them your questions. Dinner is required with a normal guest pass, as is the entrance fee/cover charge, but not if you are the personal guest of one of the night's performers, or if you go in with a member. I live locally so I have never stayed at the hotel and don't know the requirements for their pass. I assume you will need to make reservations for the Castle.

Weeknights are great and you will probably get to see all of the shows, but some of the show areas are dark during the week. The Close-up Room is the hardest to get into due to the limited seating. Plan on spending at least one show cycle in line. The Close-up Gallery and the Parlor each have an early and a late performer so plan on visiting each of them twice during your evening.

Again, the best place to ask your questions would be the Hotel or the Castle. Give them a call.
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
Philip Busk
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of Philip Busk
I used to travel to LA for business and would go to the castle for dinner and shows.! Loved it and miss those days. Enjoy!
Philip Busk
B. Edwards
View Profile
New user
Ohio
50 Posts

Profile of B. Edwards
Enjoy! Be sure to stop back and share your experience.

*Adds to bucket list* "A trip to the Magic Castle." Smile

Jackal
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1576 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Can you get a guest pass of you are a SAM or IBM member?
Ihor
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1576 Posts

Profile of Ihop
I meant IF Iinstead of "OF"
Ihor
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
The last time I worked the Castle, my gag (out on the "floor", got some chuckles.

(If you're standing there in a tux, visitors think that you "know everything"!)

When a gentleman would walk up and quietly say,"Excuse me, where is the men's room?" I would reply, in a discreet voice, "Oh! It's in the gas station across the street. Just ask for the key!:

Of course, I "picked" to whom I gave an answer like that!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3892 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
That's funny, Dick!
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6005 Posts

Profile of motown
I haven't been in a few years, but dinner was always required if you weren't a member and there's a dress code.

I had the pleasure to sit with Ron Wilson my last visit.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Philip Busk
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of Philip Busk
Quote:
On Feb 6, 2015, Dick Oslund wrote:
When a gentleman would walk up and quietly say,"Excuse me, where is the men's room?" I would reply, in a discreet voice, "Oh! It's in the gas station across the street. Just ask for the key!:

Of course, I "picked" to whom I gave an answer like that!

Excellent
Philip Busk
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Newbie Going to the Magic Castle (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL