The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Worth their weight in gold (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Magic Oli
View Profile
New user
Australia
84 Posts

Profile of Magic Oli
Hey Guys,

I'm finding myself short on time to dedicate to learning and mastering my magic, so, I thought I'd ask you what effects you believe are worth all the time and effort required to master them. If you could leave the name of the effect and where to get it (be it a specific book or dvd) and also a description of the effect from the audiences point of view.

Thanks in advance Smile

Magic Oli
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22411 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
It really does not work that way. You buy and find tricks that you like! Then set aside an hour or two a day to practice. Practice and rehearsal time is just as important as anything else you have commented to. If you find you do not have the time, they you are really not interested in magic.

As they say, you don't find the time, you make the time, for what you are truly interested in.

I cannot suggest what you should learn or do in magic. I know nothing about your interests at all. The only thing I can say is to learn the classics 1st. I don't want to be blamed for you wasting your time and money on things you are not interested in.

What would help if you list every trick and book you already own. Then maybe we can only suggest something that connects to those interest.

Also tell us what you like and don't like in the different areas of magic.
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
895 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
I find that learning magic is like learning a musical instrument. First, what instrument do you want to play (branch of magic: cards, C&B, mentalism, etc)? Then, what song do you like to play (specific effects)? Then practice and practice and practice because you really like to.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2019 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Feb 4, 2015, BeThePlunk wrote:
I find that learning magic is like learning a musical instrument. First, what instrument do you want to play (branch of magic: cards, C&B, mentalism, etc)? Then, what song do you like to play (specific effects)? Then practice and practice and practice because you really like to.

Good analogy. Once you know the instrument/branch, before learning any songs (tricks), learn the fundamentals -- play the notes properly, practice scales, etc. In magic that's learn the core sleights associated with your "branch". Once you have the basic notes and chords down (sleights), the songs (tricks/routines/effects) become easier to learn because you can focus on the structure and order of things and not so much on the component parts.
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland, home of the TAXED
1082 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
I love Bill's advice above. You need to make time. I do understand your question though. I am in the Army and find that I don't always have time.

My suggestion is to watch demos.. (as we all do) and find something that you really enjoyed watching. Do you have a magic shop near you? Or a magic club? I am guessing no.

I love the effect "In A Flash" by Jay Sankey. It has fire, a coin, and cards get burned! But I can't do that with kids. They don't care of course the fire isn't appropriate either.

Who do you want to perform for? Walk around? For co-workers? Family? Just like in advertising, you have to know your audience. "In A Flash" doesn't work for kids under 8.

The kids LOVE sponge bunnies/balls. Works EVERY time and is easy and un to do! But if you don't like it, then it won't work.

Don't get in the trap of buying everything that looks fun and cool. You will end up buying, buying ,buying and not performing, performing, performing...

You will also find that some effects you think will NEVER fool or entertain. WRONG! Sometimes I do a VERY simple trick and people LOVE it! That gets me excited and motivated!!

I also suggest that you make a deal with another magician or group of magicians. You all vote on an effect you want to learn. Take a week or two to all learn it, practice it. Then get back together and talk about it. Then perform it for friends, family. And get together again for feedback/experiences you all had. This can be on Skype, e-mail, or whatever... Just a thought.
I kind of started that with the Definitive Sankey Books. Started a thread on here to discuss favorite effects from the books.

Hope this helps!
Please get back to us on what you think after reading our posts here.

Thanks
Mike
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1880 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Cups and balls. Many sources.

Billiard balls. Many sources.

Cut and restored rope. Many sources.

Basic coin vanishes and productions. Many sources.

Basic card controls and reveals. Many sources.

Want to be a really well rounded magician on a budget? Get Mark Wilson's course, 2 decks of cards, some half dollars, a bundle of rope, a couple of large super balls, and a few things you will find around the house. Start at the beginning and spend 20 minutes a day with it. As you get good at a trick learn to present it entertainingly. In less time than you might think you will be a better magician than most of the folks who think the only tricks worth buying are on DVD and have names like Bill Smith's Ultimate Deliverance or Blown By Mighty Mike.

Learn the skills I listed above and get good at them and you will find ways to entertain with almost anything anywhere.

Patrick
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Oli! The EFFECT IS ALWAYS FROM THE SPECTATOR'S "POINT OF VIEW!!!

The EFFECT >>IS<< what the spectator sees, or thinks that he sees! Therefore, you cannot buy, own, or even learn an EFFECT. You can't buy or own a TRICK, either. And, you most definitely cannot buy or own MAGIC!

You CAN buy, or own a PROP, or a SECRET.

You can USE that PROP, or SECRET, to PERFORM a TRICK. The TRICK, like music, only exists while it is being PERFORMED! (You cannot carry a TRICK in your pocket (or a truck!). You can only carry the PROP in your pocket! --The SECRET, you can only "carry" in your mind!

If you PERFORM the TRICK well, using your PERSONALITY, with a GOOD PRESENTATION, the spectator will see the EFFECT (or THINK that he has seen it!)

This is because the MAGIC only "happens" in the spectator's mind!

Now, here's a major point: Even though the spectator has "seen" the EFFECT, >>> MAGIC IS NOT I N H E R E N T L Y ENTERTAINING! <<<

To make the MAGIC ENTERTAINING, The performer's task, is to PRESENT the TRICK in a way that the EFFECT, is PLEASING to the spectator!

If you have a question, PM me, and, I'll try to help!

P.S. You've heard the expression:; "Practice makes perfect!" NOT TRUE! --PROPER PRACTICE, preferably with the guidance or coaching from a qualified MENTOR, CAN "make perfect"!!!

Sorry for all the "CAPS"! (I don't know how to italicize with this infernal electrisch peckenclacker"!!!!!

P.P.S!!! The late Al Baker (the late Jay Marshall's father-in-law)once wrote in his "Letters to Harold": "It's OK to do tricks that YOU like, but, be sure that the spectator(s) will like them, too! --Or, you may have to enjoy them, by yourself!"

In the book, I write about the "NINE IMPORTANT THINGS". (my "CRITERIA"). To produce a show that can be presented almost anywhere, for almost anybody, I listed and explained my criteria. (I'm not going to retype the book here!) You could spend a lot of money, and invest a lot of practice and learning time, to acquire the ability to do "A" trick, but, if you need a truck to carry the prop(s), or an hour to "set" it, or, it is not suitable for a specific audience/spectator, or, must be performed on a table, or.....(I think you get the idea)......you probably won't perform it much.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1169 Posts

Profile of Montana76
You know what? There is no simple answer for "everybody".
But if someone told me to spend as much time on perfecting ACR (Daryl) when I was starting out, I would now look back and see that that would be the perfect answer FOR ME.

It is an fantastic effect. Lots of ways to go about the trick, audience interaction, lots of humour. I simply love it. Infact, I'll go and watch the Daryl video right now!
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2019 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Feb 4, 2015, mikenewman wrote:
"In A Flash" doesn't work for kids under 8.

It works if you let them play with the matches. Smile
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5272 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
You're getting great feedback already from some key sources here. Mssrs. Hegbli and Oslund alone can publish a library of books on what they know and what they've seen.

I cannot match that prowess, but I can tell you to try and dicipline yourself to start with the basics. And by basics I mean learn the tools of magic. Classic sleights and techniques like a good vanish, (I still like the French Drop. I know, it's not modern by any stretch, but it still works!), a deceptive false transfer, a convincing card force (Criss-cross works), etc.

Better yet, imagine yourself in a postapocalyptic canabalistic society, where only the most valuable people could hope to survive being consumed. You have no practical skills, (remember, this is only a fictional situation because for all I know, you could be a doctor, or a carpenter, or a chef), but you know you could entertain...and entertainers and entertainment has always been valued as a diversion even during the darkest of times.

So, what magic skills have you accrued that can facilitate you entertaining, amazing, and fooling those around you with what you have to work with? What could you do to keep yourself alive? Could you pick up a leaf and tear and restore it? Could you pick up some twine and make three uneven pieces become equal? Could you take 3 coconut shells and 3 pebbles and make the pebbles vanish, reappear, and penetrate the shells?

I think you get the idea. There are magic tricks and there are magic principles. Learn the principles and the tricks become the canvas for your brushes.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Magic Oli
View Profile
New user
Australia
84 Posts

Profile of Magic Oli
Thank you very much everyone for your input Smile I'll definitely be making an effort to work on presentation and entertainment in my effects and my skills in general Smile
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5865 Posts

Profile of motown
Perform magic that you enjoy performing.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Yes! (here comes the "but"!) Always remember Al Baker's "line"! --"It's OK to do tricks that YOU like to do, BUT, be sure that the audience likes them, also. Otherwise, you may be enjoying them BY YOURSELF!!!"
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Feb 7, 2015, Magic Oli wrote:
Thank you very much everyone for your input Smile I'll definitely be making an effort to work on presentation and entertainment in my effects and my skills in general Smile

We appreciate your showing your appreciation! A couple of months ago, Two different "magicians" posted requests for for information, and help. I spent an hour, providing that information, with references. Neither of the two, bothered to reply.

Keep in mind, though, Oli, that the EFFECT is what the SPECTATOR SEES or THINKS HE SEES!

Your "job" is to develop a presentation, using your innate talents/skills/personality, to make that presentation of the TRICK, ENTERTAINING!

You certainly appear to have the "right" attitude. It may take a bit of time, study, and experience, to find just the right presentation, but, if you remember Will Rogers' philosophy: "I'm pleased, but, not satisfied!" you'll do OK! you will succeed!
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5865 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On Feb 9, 2015, Dick Oslund wrote:
Yes! (here comes the "but"!) Always remember Al Baker's "line"! --"It's OK to do tricks that YOU like to do, BUT, be sure that the audience likes them, also. Otherwise, you may be enjoying them BY YOURSELF!!!"
Totally agree Dick.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Bill Thompson
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
422 Posts

Profile of Bill Thompson
Quote:
On Feb 9, 2015, Dick Oslund wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 7, 2015, Magic Oli wrote:

We appreciate your showing your appreciation! A couple of months ago, Two different "magicians" posted requests for for information, and help. I spent an hour, providing that information, with references. Neither of the two, bothered to reply.

Keep in mind, though, Oli, that the EFFECT is what the SPECTATOR SEES or THINKS HE SEES!

Your "job" is to develop a presentation, using your innate talents/skills/personality, to make that presentation of the TRICK, ENTERTAINING!

You certainly appear to have the "right" attitude. It may take a bit of time, study, and experience, to find just the right presentation, but, if you remember Will Rogers' philosophy: "I'm pleased, but, not satisfied!" you'll do OK! you will succeed!

This really ticks me off. If someone spends their valuable time helping you or others give them their due thanks personally. and go a step further let them know exactly how you used their advice and what the result was. Example: You told me this so I did it and this is what occurred. "ok, you told me to make them laugh and they would be entertained... So added a joke to an appropriate place in my patter and my show went to a new level"... or "I thought you said I needed to make them laugh so I told a joke at the kids party and the moms got really upset with me"... and then your mentor asks you what the joke was and you tell him that you performed the Professors nightmare and compared the various lengths of rope to a certain part of the male anatomy... Then your mentor can fuss at you and teach you how to use appropriate jokes and never use blue material in a family friendly show. If you don't do these things after he has spent his time with you not only will you not get the mentoring from him that you could, he may decided you are not worth the effort to fool with and write you off. Or worse give up on the rest of us too and we lose his knowledge.
"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment.
Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven." - Chuang Tse
Magic Oli
View Profile
New user
Australia
84 Posts

Profile of Magic Oli
I'm in contact with Dick and he is helping me through the Tarbell course giving me advice and extra information and I am very appreciative that he has helped me through my many various posts and questions. He really is a hub of knowledge and experience and we are very lucky to have him on the Café and that he is so generous with his time and effort.

Oli
SleightlyChris
View Profile
Veteran user
Lancashire, England
368 Posts

Profile of SleightlyChris
Quote:
On Feb 4, 2015, Bill Hegbli wrote:

I cannot suggest what you should learn or do in magic. I know nothing about your interests at all. The only thing I can say is to learn the classics 1st. I don't want to be blamed for you wasting your time and money on things you are not interested in.

Completely Agree. Learn the classics because a lot of effects mainstreamed today are just great variations of these classics. Learn the classics first then create your own handling of them. Then poof it's your own (but be sure to credit the creator and anyone else along the way!)
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3586 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Magic Oli,

I can relate to what you are asking. I run a very busy company and find I am very limited on time. I see myself focusing on things I enjoy and things that I find have the greatest bang for the least amount of practice.

These ideas may or may not be the best for you, but here is what I have been enjoying lately:

My variation of a routine that started with the DVD "Your card is.."
I like this because I have since purchased three different backed decks and one double back deck and I'm good to go with a lifetime of replacements for this packet trick.

My variation of the "Double Deception" half dollar set. To that, I have added a head expanded shell and a tail expanded shell. I keep these in a very small flat leather coin holder. This little set up, gives me all the arsenal I need for a wide variety of effects, including the effect taught on the DVD which, in my opinion, is possibly the strongest coin magic ever.

You can find both of these by searching on Penguin magic.

KJ
Hondo88
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of Hondo88
Quote:
On Feb 6, 2015, Montana76 wrote:
You know what? There is no simple answer for "everybody".
But if someone told me to spend as much time on perfecting ACR (Daryl) when I was starting out, I would now look back and see that that would be the perfect answer FOR ME.

It is an fantastic effect. Lots of ways to go about the trick, audience interaction, lots of humour. I simply love it. Infact, I'll go and watch the Daryl video right now!

I think this was a great place for me to start too.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Worth their weight in gold (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL