The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Improvements...but still "problems"... (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
DeadMoney
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of DeadMoney
Hi,

I'll make the long story short... Smile

I tried again after regrouping with a table and a cartel...it was too slow...one people stopped in 2 hours...I made my little show and some people stopped but in order to have a chance to become decent I need to do at least 10-20 show a day...

I had plan B:
I went on the street again next day...I swallow a balloon to start with..at the start it seemed nobody care...but at the end when I put my head down I had 20-30 people around me...some recording on IPhone...I did my 2 cups and balls routine...it went great...I mean it was crappy and sloppy...it was the first time with strangers on the street but I have big laughs and very good reactions and nobody leave till the end...I didn't made any hat line of course...my goal at this stage is just to build my bones...one person come to tip me and I didn't have put the hat down...another to ask me where the fruit come from...another remained stand still after the show for a minute looking at me (I hope for a good reason but I don't know)...

And here is the problem:
I did the exact same thing 2 day after (weather problems) and only 3 people stopped and they were not close...I didn't was able to get them close in order to do my 2 CnB routine...

I'm thinking to regroup again and develop a better structure...always with my 2 cups and balls as main piece...
It could be that I just have to do again and again the same thing but I have the feeling that I'm missing a better strategy to make them stop...it seems to much of a luck factor this way...

Any help/ideas/suggestions?

Thank you a lot Smile
DeadMoney
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of DeadMoney
...I will not go the sponge route because with wind it will be a pain...
DeadMoney
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of DeadMoney
...vanishing a silk...it seems to exposed and short...but probably it's also because I have never seen stopping people with it and I don't know how it plays...and swallowing a balloon I think is better...I could be wrong...
DeadMoney
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of DeadMoney
...and I don't like linking rings...personal preference...
DeadMoney
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of DeadMoney
...the only idea I have right know is popping a glove on my haead...wearing swimming glasses...I know...it's not magic...
DeadMoney
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of DeadMoney
Of course I would prefer just stand still with a table and a cartel...it was too slow...I don't know if the problem was the pitch...or some other reason...
DeadMoney
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of DeadMoney
My brother suggested to me that while a swallow the balloon I should pop it and fall to the ground like I was dying...the problem is I have already squeezed out all the dignity from my body and the there is only a little drop left and I'd like to keep it there Smile
DeadMoney
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of DeadMoney
I'm rewatching "THE CROWD GOES WILD" of amazing JoeJoe...could be some very good tip there...I don't have the experience to judge...

There could be the possibility that the structure of my act is good and that I have just to do it "better" and I mean I had bad "technique" to get the people closer after they stopped...
fireperformer911
View Profile
Special user
547 Posts

Profile of fireperformer911
You need with patter to tell people what you're going to do because keep in mind the audience doesn't know they're goingto see a show for example you could say I'm going to swallow 3 feet of rubber then I'm going to do the world's oldest magic trick I just need a few people up to the line for however many people you see and you think you can get
DeadMoney
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of DeadMoney
Hi fireperformer911,

thank you for you help.

My little experience, with no huge sample size so it could be wrong, is that if I try to speak with people they don't stop but just walk away.

Commanding people to stop after I throw a coin on the ground and I say "watch the coin etc etc" had, again for the small sample size, worked...but with that route I had to face rejection also...

The table and the cartel waiting the first person to come also worked but was too slow...

The visual opener without saying anything until now was the thing that worked best...

I have tried to stop people and build BEFORE the actual visual opener but it did not worked...
It seems that people until you do something actually worth and cool just don't care...

It could be also the pitch factor...not many family with child and I don't know how many between locals or tourists there are...

Even if I mimic that I'm going to swallow a balloon...and I take time...and I put a hanky on my front neck before swallowing people still don't care...only if they see it goes down and I do it someone stop...

Again few sample size and could be the pitch factor...
fireperformer911
View Profile
Special user
547 Posts

If it doesn't work try it again in 5 minutes once nyou get some people to stop more will stop building thcrowd is a lot abou is a lot about confidence. every pitch is different
DeadMoney
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of DeadMoney
My last big mistake ( but I think for a newbie like me is comprehensible) was not been able to make the 3 people that I stopped getting closer...

I made that mistake because was the first time I was in that situation and I just runned my script that was not at ok for the situation and my body language/attitude $ucked big time...
fireperformer911
View Profile
Special user
547 Posts

Can b can be different at diff
DeadMoney
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of DeadMoney
...I'm writing down the script for that situation...nothing fancy of course...
DeadMoney
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of DeadMoney
Quote:
On Feb 5, 2015, fireperformer911 wrote:
If it doesn't work try it again in 5 minutes once nyou get some people to stop more will stop building thcrowd is a lot abou is a lot about confidence. every pitch is different

You are right I think I was a little uncomfortable and I didn't projected fun and confidence...I'm understanding it now...after...I had to think about it...I was unprepared for that...

And thinking about it with a cold mind the result of stopping first a big group and than 3 people in less in a minute should be an encouraging one...and if someone stop probably it's only if I mess it up that they don't stay...
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1168 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Hello Deadmoney.
It's knee deep in winter, where I'm sitting,
but I'm warm, relaxed,.
..and just ate two bags of Gummi Bears,
..the middle size bags.
I'm feeling pretty good right now.
I believe,
strongly,
the mistake you are making,
is:
you are prostitutung yourself for an audience, for whatever reasoning.

Lots of folks do this.
You will slowly gain experience,
learn to sell yourself better....
or,
or,...
change tactics.

Develope something YOU really really like.
Learn to do it, to the point,..
that YOU think it is really really great.
An expression of yourself.
,let's maybe go one step further;
an Honest Expression of Yourself.
Go out on a corner,.. where YOU feel comforatable,
display it.
Forget all the "tricks and manipulation of people psychology" you've heard and read.
Garbage.
Flush them ALL down that little toilet in your brain.
Display what YoU think/ find to be GEIL! {German word meaning "Horny"}

Very risky.
Very scarey.
You probably won't do it.
But....
my advise.
If you want to get your **** together,
with a Show,
AND your Life.
Develope YOURSELF.
,..then,
Show it.

You'd be surprised...
and thankfull.
We, the world will be,
as well.

,this IS not an Opinion,
it IS a Belief,...
I know to be Fact.

Someone once told me,
"Yellow Gummi Bears contain absinth."!!
hoHoho~~~~>|.
gallagher
DeadMoney
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of DeadMoney
Hi Gallagher,

thank you for your opinion.

It let me think deeply...that's hard for me so let me some time to digest it Smile

Honestly I love my two cups and balls routine.
The problem is if I don't find a way to do it 10+ times a day it will never shine...neither I will get good at audience interaction...

The opener, swallowing a balloon I don't know...I have mixed feelings...but perhaps I have to find a balance between what people want and what I like the best...

About getting out to a corner when I feel comfortable I have mixed feelings...because on the other hand in order to grow it seems reasonable that I have to get out of my comfort zone...

Again I'll think about your words...
DeadMoney
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of DeadMoney
...no joking I have to think about it to digest it...
Jason Simonds
View Profile
Veteran user
Pensacola, FL
318 Posts

Profile of Jason Simonds
I have no solutions to your problems. I just wanted to say I'm glad you keep trying. I just started street performing myself, and I'm at about the same point you are, where I'm just trying to get people to Stop and Watch. I'm only working on weekends right now. The first 2 weekends were awesome. It was easy to get people to stop and watch. This past weekend was more difficult but honestly, I wasn't really motivated to go out there. I imagine that was part of my issue. This weekend, I need to make sure I have the right mindset when I get out there.

To get people to pay, I know that I need to script in hat lines to my routines. I'm still working on that. I had some written down for this past weekend, but I didn't try them out. Like you, I'm getting some tips without using a hat line, but they are few and far between. I was talking to Dartagnan about this and he said some guys sprinkle hat lines throughout their show but some people wait until before their last trick before using their hat lines.

Good luck, sir.
DeadMoney
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of DeadMoney
Hi Gallagher,

I thought a little bit about your words.

And a part of my brain thinks this:
The idea that a 15 minutes act has to be an honest expression of ourselves sounds good and poetical in theory but I have the fear that in practise is nonsense.

First the goal is not to communicate people who we are in 15 minutes or how sensible or artistic we are...the goal is entertainment pure and simple...of course it will reflect a little bit of ourselves and a little bit of the audience...
Should the goal be to be express our entertainment side? I think not even this completely...for example is good and funny to let kids participate to show their reactions because that is entertainment...and good one...the show is not all about us...

Shows are often a stretch of sides of personalities and situations...

And the idea that one first has to develop something that thinks is really really worth and than find a comfortable place to share with other sounds good in theory but also this seems that flat falls in practise...because first 3/4 of the show should be about audience interaction that can not be developed without doing it day in and day out...and second without facing the reality of sharing it with other we can not gauge if it is something really worth in the first place...

Just some thoughts...they could be wrong...still thinking about your words... Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Improvements...but still "problems"... (8 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL