The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Clowning around » » Books on Clowning and Physical Comedy (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

flickermaker
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of flickermaker
Hi All--

I am looking for books on clowning and physical comedy. My reason? I am directing a film this Summer about two former circus clowns and vaudvillians from the eary 1900s who sperate for twenty-plus years only to meet up some years later. I am looking for books for the two actors who have been cast in the leading roles to study and learn about clowning and physical comedy. I have gotten them both copies of John H. Towsen's CLOWNS for the history. What I really need are books on technique, skills and routining. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
thomhaha
View Profile
Regular user
northfield IL
162 Posts

Profile of thomhaha
Try _Mel Gordon's Lazzi: The Comic Routines of Comedia dell'Arte_.

It may also be worth the time to review early silent films: a lot of that physical comedy was first performed on vaudeville stages: Chaplin, Keaton, W. C. Fields, Harold Lloyd, Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers ...

Technique and routining: most intro to clowning books will have chapters on physical comedy, sight gags, etc.. What is not conveyed in all of these is how to develop a sense of comedic timing, which comes mostly from experience before an audience, with a partner, and just plain ol' observation.
flickermaker
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of flickermaker
Thank you for the suggestion and additional advice.
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
I recently posted a bunch of books for sale forum here related to what you ask for. One of them is 'Why Is That Funny" by John Wright." Don't know if the post is still there but if not PM and I'll send list. Tons of comedy material (maybe a few pounds)
flickermaker
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of flickermaker
PM sent. Thank you.
MagieFraudster
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of MagieFraudster
Creative Clowning by Picadilly Books is a good overview
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Clowning around » » Books on Clowning and Physical Comedy (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL